Nuclear Power

fillymum

synful soul
I am so glad to see Germany are phasing out all of their Nuclear Power stations over the next 10 years.

I am not clever enough to work out how they will replace the power they will lose by other methods. I am just delighted to see that for once peoples lives and the safety of the planet are being put first.

I do so wish the French would get the message. We have a big nuclear project here in Normandy, with high tension power lines to be built that will come straight through my beautiful village :(

Fortunately, I won't be able to see them from where I live, but the health implications of 400 000 volts are still not clear. I'd rather have wind turbines

Probably coal which you could argue will still destroy the environment anyway. A lot of countries are going back to fossil fuels. Other options just can't give the volume yet.

Ironically I think it takes about 24,000 years for the radioactive waste to fully break down - so I think we are only safe as long a it's stored correctly. I'm happy they are stopping as they do dump radio-active cooling water into the Irish sea !!! (an operator from a plant told me this)

We've really messed this planet up ....

A few places dump their radioactive material under mountains! It's ridiculous really, how can people state nuclear power is safe & clean when it has so many negative outcomes. Nevermind the whole fiasco in Fukushima (which the newspapers have now 'forgotten' about) but what happens in years to come when our great grandchildren are sitting upon a world of radioactive material!?

It's stupid how long it takes to shut a plant down as well. I just can't believe it! I wish it had never been invented :S

I think nuclear is our best option. Renewables are not feasable yet and fossils cause way too much guck. So, I am saddened to see phasing out, until renewables are a viable option. Until then, we're just increasing the greenhouse emissions and uppiing the chances of global warming/dimming.

I read an article a few weeks ago about a scottish wind power company being paid by the national grid to turn off their turbines because they were generating too much electricity for the grid to handle. Seems to me it would have made more sense to stop burning fossil fuels instead? I know they can't turn nuclear reactors on & off at will, which in itself is a little concerning, but surely this incident would indicate that renewable energy can provide the majority of our energy needs?

All i know is i would rather have a fleet of
Wind turbines near my house than a nuclear reactor.

I read an article a few weeks ago about a scottish wind power company being paid by the national grid to turn off their turbines because they were generating too much electricity for the grid to handle. Seems to me it would have made more sense to stop burning fossil fuels instead? I know they can't turn nuclear reactors on & off at will, which in itself is a little concerning, but surely this incident would indicate that renewable energy can provide the majority of our energy needs?

All i know is i would rather have a fleet of
Wind turbines near my house than a nuclear reactor.

I agree, I would much rather live by wind turbines! I actually think they're quite pretty.

It's all very well & good people saying that nuclear power is brilliant & safe yada, yada, yada.. But when it comes down to it, would you want to live near it? Have your children grow up near it? & it's no cleaner than fossil fuels as proven by the nuclear waste that is currently being dumped into the ocean or buried under the ground! Seriously, what is that doing for the planet's future??

If Japan had wind & water turbines instead of nuclear power plants, they wouldn't still be fighting a meltdown!

Back