nzmegs - last chance saloon

Thanks! I have been reading yours too. Before you know it you will have racked up the pounds as well!

So I have reached another of my goals - 10% loss. This means I have already made significant changes to my health. Yippee.

I am having an OK week. I have been having more water - but I am having terrible trouble in the "bathroom" department... It seems that I can't go unless I have some help. An even then it takes a few days of taking a laxative for it to work. there just doesn't seem to be enough volume passing through my system. Most of my food is liquid!

I know this can't be ideal for my weight loss, so I think I will get some of the extra fibre from the class next week. I think I need it. My usual diet is extremely high in fibre - so maybe I just need more than the average person!

Well done on the 10%! good milestone!

I found the LL fibre didn't work for me, and actually made my tummy very grumbly. I found psyllium husk capsules (Holland and Barrett) v helpful! (ooh what a delightful tip, eh?!!) hope you find something that works.

Good news - another 3 pounds off! Had my meeting today and my weigh-in was successful as you can see by my new weight. I am getting there fairly steadily now. My hope is that i can keep up with 3 pounds a week and then I only have around 5 weeks to go to reach my goal. A couple of bigger losses would be even better.

It is funny because a few weeks ago i would have thought that five weeks was a horribly long time for me to stick to anything. But actually, now it seems like such a short period of time. It will take me to the end of feb which is not that long away at all.

So I am feeling good this afternoon. Another week ahead of me and I will just keep plodding on!

We talked about something in my meeting yesterday which struck a chord with me. I tend to be quite dismissive about my achievements. I just keep plodding on doing what I am supposed to until I eventually get there. It doesn't feel like hard work and therefore doesn't deserve to be congratulated on.

I noticed that I am bad at telling myself I have done well. My teacher pointed out to me that the fact I just stick to the path I have set is actually a great strength. it may make the process feel easier or less "difficult" but it doesn't diminish the work I have done.

She asked me to think about other times I have kept to my goal. I thought about getting my degree. Despite lots of difficult times, failed exams, relationship issues, changing my course, I still got there in the end. I just kept going because it was really important to me to finish.

Then there was having my children. I had nine months of severe morning sickness, but I still told myself That I would not take drugs during labour. I had no idea what labour felt like, but I planned to be drug free. it was important to me and even at those times when I though I couldn't take any more I stuck to my plan. Both births were entirely drug free.

Then there was my decision to be a vegetarian. I have managed to abstain from all forms of meat for more than a year. I just made the choice and haven't deviated.

My marriage. Despite ups and downs, I have stuck with it and will continue to do so. it is entirely worth it, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Then, of course there is this journey. I have managed to stick to LL 100% for 7 weeks now. longer than any other diet and much longer than I thought I could manage.

So what do all of these things have in common? Why have i been able to stick to these things when other goals have hit the dust within a few weeks?

I have a real invested interest in making them happen. The health of my babies, my own health, my education, my relationship. What could be more important?

I can see that reaching my goal is achievable in a certain space of time. I will get healthy within a few weeks, the babies would be born within a few hours, my husband and I will grow old together and achieve our common goals. You can stick to anything if you know the hard work will end at some point and the joy will begin.

The hard work actually achieves what I expect. Other diets can't offer this level of certainty which is why I was unable to commit to them.

My plan is public - I married my husband around friends and family because I made a commitment to them as well. I told everyone about being a vege, about being on the diet and about my birth plan. No one would blame me if I failed, but I would feel I let others down as well as myself.

I have plenty of support - a husband who held my hand an kept reminding my of my plan during labour and during this diet! Friends who keep telling me how great I am doing, family who were so proud of my education achievements. My LLC who is excellent. These things really are important.

Sorry to be so long winded, but this is a revelation. Not only can I stick to things, but given the right motivation and reasons for doing something I can achieve the hardest things in the world.

Last edited:
Well done on the 10%! good milestone!

I found the LL fibre didn't work for me, and actually made my tummy very grumbly. I found psyllium husk capsules (Holland and Barrett) v helpful! (ooh what a delightful tip, eh?!!) hope you find something that works.

I'm a fan of the psyllium husk capsules too. I think H&B are doing buy one, get one for a penny at the moment.

Thanks Debbi - the problem seems to have fixed itself due to increasing water consumption again. That and a little extra water flavourings which make my tummy a bit gurgly but do the trick.

Another weigh in today - 2 pounds. But she did say that it was very close to being 3 pounds. My LLC rounds to the nearest pound. So that makes a total of 9 pounds for the last 4 weeks. I am happy with that, but wanted 10...Oh well. If week 5 hadn't been so rubbish I would have done even better.

I am now 13 pounds away from my target weight. I don't know how I will feel then. maybe I will decide to continue or move onto to lite for a while. Perhaps I will move into management and try to lose a little bit more doing that.

I would love to reach my target by the end of Feb - but I doubt it. I think I will need another couple of weeks. I am expecting my weight loss to slow right down.

I have been going through some old photos today in a bid to find some "before's". Now that i am smaller I cannot believe that I let myself get that big. My face was puffy, my arms were pudgy and my ar*e was humongous! I honestly thought that I looked OK.

I have some photos which were taken when my husband and I had a nice weekend away for our anniversary. I am ashamed of how I looked. I made every effort, got my hair cut and coloured, dressed nicely and so on, but I looked a far cry from how I hoped I looked. My husband deserved better than that.

I had even tried hard to diet in the weeks leading up to that trip. I wanted to look nice and I had lost a few pounds but so much more effort was required and I wasn't bothered to do the hard work.I now wonder why not? My guess is that it felt too hard or difficult and that I feared failing.

Anyway, I am making a collage of my fat photos, because I never ever want to go back there. Not just for me but for my whole family. Especially my husband who has put up with a lot and still regularly told me how nice I looked and how much he loves me.

Are we kidding ourselves if we think that putting on weight doesn't or shouldn't affect our relationships? I don't know, but I know that losing weight has had a positive effect.

Its a nice thought to be less than a stone away from your goal, isnt it? Lovely :)

I have had a bit of a wobble this afternoon. I haven't lapsed or anything but felt like I wanted to.

Problem is: shepherds pie... my family hate the smell to the point where comments are being made every time I eat it. I have to take it out of the room to eat and complaints are made that the microwave stinks of it etc.

I cover the bowl with clingfilm before I cook it but apparently that isn't enough.

Now today I have been asked if I couldn't just eat something else instead.Well yes, but i don't want to. Unless it is what they are eating - which obviously I can't.

This made me really cross. I felt like I am already so restricted in what I can eat anyway and i like shepherds pie. I have been good natured about their complaints for 8 weeks. Why can't they just leave it alone.

If they are getting sick of it - think about how how I am feeling having to eat pretty much the same thing day after day...

It just made me feel crap really. If the worst thing they have to put up with while i am on this diet is some smelly food, then they are lucky. I have to put up with much more!

Plus, I am getting a cold...

Reading back over that it seems like I am making a big thing out of nothing. I think this situation just represents my general feeling of wanting to get this over with. I am feeling a bit fed up I suppose.

I know I will get back to my usual self, but right now I could just eat eat eat. I know that would make me feel worse though - so I won't. I just wish I could.

Who is complaining? If my OH and DD (who is 18) complained, I'd tell them to feck right off. I'm doing this and if they dont like it, they can keep there complaints to themselves! Or do they not like the change in you?

We just did the assertiveness module. Explain to them that you have limited choices and that they need to support you. That you will still be having the Shepherds Pie cause you like it, its only for a limited number of weeks. So they should get on board and stop complaining, and realize that this is important to you and tell them how their complaining makes you feel.
You probably have to put up with the smell of their food which is alot harder for you than them not liking one pack. They can always give the microwave a wipe if they don't like the smell.

Yep, I am a vegetarian and my family eat meat and smoked fish and everything which stink out the whole house for days.I never complain about that....in fact I sometimes help to cook it!

I don't think my family have problems with the changes in me, but certain people are more than willing to point out the negatives.

The bad breath is another which I get regular complaints about. I have started avoiding getting too close - just in case.

It is just another thing to put up with i guess until I can move on.

I do still regular well dones and comments about how nice I look. But it is all too easy to focus on the negatives sometimes.

It's difficult when we don't get support from those around us. You're doing really well to keep going regardless. Good for you! My husband doesn't like me going to maintenance group on a Saturday, which I'm finding difficult at the moment. I guess it takes time to learn to be assertive and put our needs first.

It must be so difficult...my lot are v supportive, well they dont have much choice lol. Did your cold develop? My nose is streaming and very red...most attractive ;)

Strangely, my cold didn't develop at all. I feel absolutely fine - despite my husband and daughter both coming down with it. I think LL really helps your immunity. Could do with a day or two in bed though!

Weigh in day tomorrow. I am hoping for another 2 or 3 pounds, but we will see.

I have a birthday party to attend at the end of this month which is being held in a restaurant. I have explained I can't eat and that is fine. But I am wondering how I will cope.Thankfully it is a family thing, so we are happy to only stay for a while. Not a friend thing which could be much later and boozier.

Any tips?

Today I have started a running program. I used to be quite a good runner and could polish off a 5K in around 25 mins. But I haven't done any exercise since I started LL. I didn't want to risk getting too hungry or letting one or the other slide. LL is something which I needed to focus on.

Now that I am a LL expert :) I feel it is time to start running again. So I have started one of these 13 week courses which starts off with mostly walking and builds up to running for around 40 mins. Today I have done 4 mins of walking and 30 seconds of running, 7 times.

Sounds easy, but after so long, my body really didn't like it at all. I wasn't knackered, but got out of breath easily within just 30 seconds. thank goodness this program builds me up slowly because I need to re-adjust to exercise.

I did notice that being lighter helps with my technique though.The program is designed to avoid injury too which was always my downfall. I would just go for it without thinking of the consequences. This time I want to do it properly.

LL has taught me that having a plan and sticking to it is sure way to reach your goal. If I can do 12 weeks on a diet, then i can do 12 weeks of a running program. How hard can it be?

Lost 3 pounds today. Happy with that. it seems that my body has settled down to lose around 3 pounds a week. I am happy with that as i know that the end is near. Then i can start maintenance or maybe lose a little more.

I am hopeful that i can just tone up my normal weight body and I won't need to drop my weight too much lower than my target. However my goal is to be a size 12 on my bottom half and I am still a long way off that. Currently i am squeezing into size 14 jeans.

I may have to accept that my bottom half is never going to be small. I am already a size 10-12 on my upper body and don't want to lose much more from there.

Anyway I will keep plodding on. Stick to it 100% as normal and see what i feel like at the end of the month.

Everyone seems to have the same dilemma - when to change to maintenance. it isn't easy to work it out.

I have a birthday party to attend at the end of this month which is being held in a restaurant. I have explained I can't eat and that is fine. But I am wondering how I will cope.Thankfully it is a family thing, so we are happy to only stay for a while. Not a friend thing which could be much later and boozier.

Any tips?

You will cope. I had my daughter's 18th, a wedding, Christmas, New Year and numerous nights out. I wasnt going to miss out lol. I phoned the places up before hand and explained that I was on a medically supervised diet and unfortunately I couldnt eat their food. But I could bring my own and would they be kind enough to make up the packs? I only got grief once. Needless to say, I wont be going back there :D

I also got a kick out of everyone saying how well I'd done and how good I was looking. Everyone also felt the need to say that they couldnt possibly do it lol and that I had amazing willpower. I thought I did until I started RTM!!

Back