O/T - any ideas on getting a puppy to "sleep through!"

jaylou

Gold Member
Morning all - completely off track but.....

does anyone have any ideas on getting a new puppy to sleep through the night? :(

she cries and howls and yelps ALL night! Of course she stops when i go into the room?
Has anyone been through this? is it best to leave her to it or keep going back?

This is just like having a baby again!! :cry:

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Jay x

Hi, she's only 10 weeks old bless her and i've had her a week. She's such a little baby and it's so sad :cry: She sleeps in the kitchen and we leave the door open with a stairgate on it.

I got told that a hot water bottle under the bedding and a ticking clock work. The hot water bottle represents the warmth of mother/other pups and the ticking clock represents the heartbeat of the mother.

i dont know if it is likly to work but anything is worth a try.

We have had a few puppies and from my experience as cruel as it may sound (and I love my dogs) it is best to leave them and they will eventually calm down after a few days ( she says keeping her fingers crossed):chores016:

An old trick is to wrap a ticking clock up and put it in with pup to simulate the mothers heartbeat.
Personally I wouldn't keep going down to her, just a couple of times to say a stern 'no' . It is just like a baby, you're right! As hard as it is, you will be making a rod for your own back if you keep giving her attention by going down to her.
Aww 10 weeks! Bless her though what breed is she?

I am going to be no help to you what so ever :eek: as when I got my pup (Chihuahua) he was in a crate next to my bed and he cried and scratched all night even though he was next to me. I tried all of the tricks, putting him in another room, hot water bottle, ticking clock, the lot!
It was only bringing him into my bed that kept him quiet :eek: but after a week of no sleep it was the only thing that would work. I was desperate!

Have you tried having the pup sleep in your room, in its box (if it has one?) and then the next night moving the box nearer the door, then the next night outside of the door and so on, until she's in a completely different room. This worked with my other dog.

the best idea is to put puppy in a crate, with maybe one of those teddies that you warm in the m/w, remain calm as you put puppy to bed and dont go back to him, when you go in the morning dont go straight to him dont look at him for a few minutes put the kettle on or something then get pup out of cage calmly not all excited, it will work,probaly only take one night, if you do this during the daytime for his naps he will get the idea quicker and maybe you will get all night the first night,if you havent gat a crate,ask the vets to lend you one or if pup smll enough a cat basket will do.

Thanks for the advice everyone :) I think I just need to say NO a few times and leave her too it. I've put a hot water bottle in her bed and she chews it!! She has done her business in her crate the last few nights so that winds her up even more, I think she does it out of distress.... Once she's cleaned up she's a bit better.
I would give in and bring her into my bed like Fea but luckily OH is not having any of it and I don't really want to go down that road!!
She's a little border terrier cross pup, a little bundle of fun and going to be sooooo worth the work I think!! :doggy:

There's so much psychology to this!! It's all about not letting her rule to roost - I have been making such a fuss of her in a morning so the idea of putting the kettle on first makes sense. I've been sorting her out before I even have my cuppa on the table ready to go!!

errr...calpol generally works with the kids!!!!:8855:

Seriously....I don't know, but I would think methods you'd try with kids might work. Go in, reassure then leave. Keep doing it and gaps should be bigger each time. Surely he just needs to know you're there.

Don't envy you though! Good luck.

Thanks for the advice everyone :) I think I just need to say NO a few times and leave her too it. I've put a hot water bottle in her bed and she chews it!! She has done her business in her crate the last few nights so that winds her up even more, I think she does it out of distress.... Once she's cleaned up she's a bit better.
I would give in and bring her into my bed like Fea but luckily OH is not having any of it and I don't really want to go down that road!!
She's a little border terrier cross pup, a little bundle of fun and going to be sooooo worth the work I think!! :doggy:

I wouldn't go down that road either if I could turn back the clock:8855:

I may be alone in this but I wouldn't be greeting the puppy with a stern "no" in the middle of the night because she is crying. She's distressed and she won't understand what she's getting told off for. The way I think of it is you wouldn't go into a distressed baby's room and say "no!!" :eek:

This Train Your Puppy to Sleep Through the Night is a realy good article. Have a read. And I hope you get some sleep soon :D

Thanks so much Fea, and to everyone else for the advice. The article looks great, i'm printing it off now to read with a coffee. xx

I wouldn't go down that road either if I could turn back the clock:8855:

I may be alone in this but I wouldn't be greeting the puppy with a stern "no" in the middle of the night because she is crying. She's distressed and she won't understand what she's getting told off for. The way I think of it is you wouldn't go into a distressed baby's room and say "no!!" :eek:

This Train Your Puppy to Sleep Through the Night is a realy good article. Have a read. And I hope you get some sleep soon :D

To be fair....although we are comparing it to a baby (as in sleepless nights), it is not a baby, it is an animal and it wants to be the boss! I'm not saying its a bossy thing right now, but it will soon learn thats the way to get attention. Its a puppy and yes, its distressed but 'no' is a word it will have to learn. Its not about telling the poor little thing off. But giving it positive attention will only make it worse.
I've had many dogs throughout my life and I can honestly say, none have ever had to end up sleeping in my bed with me (ewww!) and have all been well behaved

To be fair....although we are comparing it to a baby (as in sleepless nights), it is not a baby, it is an animal and it wants to be the boss! I'm not saying its a bossy thing right now, but it will soon learn thats the way to get attention. Its a puppy and yes, its distressed but 'no' is a word it will have to learn. Its not about telling the poor little thing off. But giving it positive attention will only make it worse.
I've had many dogs throughout my life and I can honestly say, none have ever had to end up sleeping in my bed with me (ewww!) and have all been well behaved

Well it's a difference of opinion isn't it. I too have had dogs throughout my life. Puppy has his own bed next to mine but often sleeps on my bed and Milo sleeps under it.

And I do not appreciate the eww thank you very much.

Back