O/T - any ideas on getting a puppy to "sleep through!"

My puppy is n now 6 months old. She was sleeping through the night then started waking and crying. Worked out she can't bear to be even slighly cold. I ended up having to get a little heater for her room. Spoilt brat:chores016:

our puppy cried for the first 2 nights, then we put a hot water bottle under her blanket and a ticking clock, and a big cuddly dog toy so it reminded her of her mum, and she slept through ever since.So it does work, Diva is 7months now and weve had to more the big dog toy as she has chewed it up,lol x

My puppy is n now 6 months old. She was sleeping through the night then started waking and crying. Worked out she can't bear to be even slighly cold. I ended up having to get a little heater for her room. Spoilt brat:chores016:

Aw bless :8855:
My puppy suffers from the cold terribly. He also suffered from fits a week after we first got him. The vet was ready to put him to sleep on more than one occasion as they thought he had a condition that was incurable and causing the fits. But he was a little fighter and came through and has had none since, thank goodness. So now I can't help but spoil him with affection as I feel soooo lucky that I still have him.

Oh how sweet!!!! I think ultimately we'd do anything for the little devils but mine needs to learn some ground rules first!!!
Just read an article that says you need to take them out at 3-4 hour intervals through the night.... best set an alarm! :snoopyhouse:

Aw bless :8855:
My puppy suffers from the cold terribly. He also suffered from fits a week after we first got him. The vet was ready to put him to sleep on more than one occasion as they thought he had a condition that was incurable and causing the fits. But he was a little fighter and came through and has had none since, thank goodness. So now I can't help but spoil him with affection as I feel soooo lucky that I still have him.

Mines a Cavalier King Charles and she' a right prima donna.

I have a puppy the same age as yours and i just left him the 1st night but shut the door i have him in a cage and i had to ignore him maybe leaving your door open he thinks your coming back to get him out.
Its cruel i think to leave them but bobby was alright after 2 nights and now i can leave him anytime and he is not bothered.
What breed is he i have a shihtzu good luck with him

We had a puppy last year and we left him in his crate with blanket and toys etc with music on very quietly (James Blunt was always a favourite). No matter how much he cried we just ignored him - if you go to her then she has won and will keep doing it. After a few nights he was absolutely fine and just settled down to sleep

Morning all - completely off track but.....

does anyone have any ideas on getting a new puppy to sleep through the night? :(

she cries and howls and yelps ALL night! Of course she stops when i go into the room?
Has anyone been through this? is it best to leave her to it or keep going back?

This is just like having a baby again!! :cry:

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Jay x

I have a new puppy the same age as yours and the trick is not to go to them just let it whine mine stopped after 2 nights and now i can leave him anytime.
I have him in a crate and put a couple of toys in with him, luckily he dosent dirty in the cage at all so he is ok are you maybe giving him to much to eat b4 he goes to bed i give mine 3 biggish meals and only a light one b4 bed. i have a shihtzu so i hope your little one settles down and close the door when you go to bed as while its open he thinks your coming back all the time and you wont be able to hear him so much ha ha best wishes sally

well, thanks to everyone for their advice... something worked! We covered the crate, left the radio on quietly, put a hot water bottle under her blanket, didn't feed her so late, didn't let her have an evening nap and we shut the kitchen door instead of leaving it open......... she slept for 4 hours after crying for only ten minutes!! She went for a wee in the garden then went back to sleep for another 4 hours waking us up with a bark cos she needed to go into the garden for a poo! Fingers crossed we are over the worst :)
:doggy: Thank you!!

Back