O/T Budgies

razzledazzle

Anyone got budgies as pets, and if so, any of you got any single budgies that are home alone during the day??

I'm struggling to get OH to agree to 1 budgie, never mind 2 and wondered if having just 1 and being out at work from 8am - 5pm, it would be ok on its own!?!?

J x

We have just one called Mikey, and he is fine alone on his own. But you MUST MUST give him attention when you get home, Mikey gets lots of atention and kisses and flying time in the evening and he is very happy. Lots of bells and mirrors to keep him entertained too :) xx

Oh good, glad that the single birdies are ok. Yes I'm planning on plenty of handling and taming and he/she can have the run of the living room for a couple of hours every evening and most of the day at weekends whilst OH is at work (then again I could always just lock him out of the living room as he's not keen on flying birds!).

Did you buy yours from a breeder or a pet shop .... oh and how old was he/she when you got him/her?? I've been told to get a baby (12 weeks old ish) but have fallen in love with one that's young, but the pet shop can't tell me his exact age, just that he's under a year old.

I just wondered if you've had older birds (ie, not babies) are they as easy to tame/train??

Cheers, J x

I don't have a budgie but I have a senegal parrot who is home alone during the day (6.30am - 4.30pm). I move his cage to the patio doors some days (unless too hot as there is no brake from the heat) so he can look out, but even in his normal spot he can see out of the window, it's just more shaded.

He comes out for a fly during the evening and his cage is in the lounge so he's able to chatter on with us too. He does ok alone and seems plenty happy.

But get your bird a selection of toys! We have to get those hard perspex ones as Keeko is strong and destroys wooden toys in no time. We rotate them so he always has something new to do. Puzzle toys are good.

Just be careful of what plants you have about. Certain plants can kill birds. So google a list for budgies and move any you have into another room.

Bath time is good too - they love baths!

Good luck - pets are fab!

I don't have a budgie but I have a senegal parrot who is home alone during the day

Ooo we have a senegal parrot too, he thinks he is a dog though...lol he barks like our shih tzus, and does the sqeaky toy noise too.lol

In regards to taming a year old budgie, i would have thought it would be a lot harder. All budgies we had were 12 weeks old and got from breeders. actually i think they was from the same breeder.
As others have said make sure there are plenty of toys about the cage, and if you plan on handling him dont be disheartned when it doesnt happen straight away, it will take time. :)
xx

we had 2 budgies, loved them both (cutey pale blue ones), they are fine pets and respond really well to loving handling, one of ours used to do somersaults round his perch

lots of bells and mirrors are good, and we used to rotate the toys they had too so they didn't get bored

Thanks everyone, I've got toys down on my shopping list (as well as food, sand, cuttlefish, birdbath etc etc) .... I'm being donated a cage and apparently that comes complete with a stack of toys too, so I can rotate. Now just have to find out what I can use to clean the old cage that won't harm the new budgie. I now have the number of a local breeder so things are looking up!

(oh and I think I've worn OH down, his last comment was ........... if you want one, just get one!!! yaaaaay!).

J x

Thanks everyone, I've got toys down on my shopping list (as well as food, sand, cuttlefish, birdbath etc etc) .... I'm being donated a cage and apparently that comes complete with a stack of toys too, so I can rotate. Now just have to find out what I can use to clean the old cage that won't harm the new budgie. I now have the number of a local breeder so things are looking up!

(oh and I think I've worn OH down, his last comment was ........... if you want one, just get one!!! yaaaaay!).

J x

You can buy pet safe cage cleaners from your vet. But I also find hot water, a plastic scourer and lemon juice works (unless very dirty). But I would say boil wash it with a pet safe cleaner first before use.

You will also want to ensure that you get water drops (vitamin based) - I give this to Keeko regularly, but not daily as he eats fruit and veggies as well as his food mix.

Another tip - cold tea (without milk) is to Keeko what Calpol is to kids - magical cure! If you have a sick birdy ever, put this in their water bowl and it works. Keeko's breeder gave us that tip.

When you pick him/her up, check their 'vents' (nose, ears and bottom) for any discharges. Also with eyes. A sick bird is pretty obvious to spot though as they look ill.

You may want to consider having their primary flight feathers clipped until he/she is used to you and the family environment. You don't want it to fly into a window etc! They grow back in time to enable full flight, and even clipped they can fly a little. We did this with Keeko and he was so easy to tame as a result.

Budgies fall in love easily (Nan always had them - always called Joey lol) and can be incredibly affectionate. Birds make wonderful pets I think...I am a bit of a pet person though in general! LOL!

I bet you're excited!!! Woo! :D

xxx

Back