O/Topic: Any tips on Pear Trees?? Pears won;t ripen.

Blonde Logic

Yes. You can.
I have a beautiful pear tree, laden with fruit.

Only thing, the darn pears, and there are plenty never ripen!!

Does anyone know anything about fruit trees? I have tried letten them ripen on the tree - inside - in a brown bag - they just never get soft.
On the tree, they go from rock hard to rotten and drop off.

Any tips anyone on what I am doing wrong. Shame for them all to go to waste. Is there such a thing as an ornamental pear thats not edible??

When to pick and how to ripen pears to perfection

any help?

my gran used to have a pear tree and would pick them before ripe. then put them in her airing cupboard to ripen.

i have heard of the putting them with banana thing too.

maybe you could ask at your local garden centre - or search for a gardening forum?

i tried the recipe with them from the week 3 RTm the other day, i don't like the grittiness usually, but they were lovely

good luck

daisy x
(PS is SB OK? i haven't seen any posts from her for a while)

Hi Daisy - thanks for that. I am wondering if they are cooking pears? I have leftr them to ripen for weeks in the kitchen - and I mean WEEKS lol and still hard as rocks. I will try cooking one I think.

SB is OK. She too lost her cat, just days after I lost Vincent. SO she has been feeling a bit down, but she is alright. Her little fella was hit by a car :( So it too was pretty traumatic. I'll tell her you asked, and she'll be back.

oh poor SB, one of mine was run over a couple of years back, its horrible. Hope you both are OK, its so sad when a pet dies
daisy x

Bananas are supposed to emit ethylene gas which is apparently what causes fruit to ripen - don't know if it works on fruit still on the tree though....

My thoughts are that they are most likely to be cooking pears and not an eating variety.

Back