Officially counting calories....

Hi all,
very new here and after tons of umm-ing and arhhh-ing I started counting calories on Tuesday and am actually finding it really easy and able to eat much more than I imagined I would be able to.

I weighed 15.9.5 on Sunday (29th Aug)when I got back from my holiday and was distraught!
I've been a serial dieter for years and this was my heaviest.
I've allowed myself 1200 a day and have not been reaching it, is this ok?

I'm also off to Nando's with a friend tonight so i'm going to stick to chicken and salad I hope.

Anyway I just wanted to say Hi really and hope to meet others like me.
:grouphugg:

hi, i am counting calories as well and i am on my third week, with my w.i. on sat morn and lost 2.5 lb's the first week , then last week i lost 4.7 lb's and i feel like i have lost more weight, but will see what scales bring sat, i stick to 1250 a day and fing i don't always reach it, but i try and average it out over the whole week, so then if i go out (on the odd occasion) i can have more of a treat and then cut back at home.
good luck with the counting, it is the best way!

Hello :) i count calories too! I usually reach 1000, i know i should prob eat more calories, but i dont feel hungry at 1000, although sometimes i eat around 12500 so i think over the week it evens itself out, like karen said :)
I havnt actually met anyone on here who is not on a specific diet such as ww, so id love to talk about what your eating atm, and tips and stuff, and how you burn off some of those calories
Good luck with the diet, you will be a yummymummy!

Last edited:
my menu for today is: i don't eat breakfast - i know i should but i have about 4 cups of black coffee and that keeps me going till lunch - i would rather eat my cals that i should have had for breakfast at supper time!
so: B - nothing
L - m&s c.o.u. chicken fillets ingravy, mash pots and veg (340)
& a quarter of sugar free jelly (10)
snack afternoon - fresh fruit salad (75)
T - 100 grms of chicken breast, flattened and dry fried (120) with salad & extra toms (45) and some sweet chilli sauce off the sugar free website 40 grms (20)
pud - fresh fruit salad (75) & quarter of sugar free jelly (10)
all of that comes just under 700 calories, so i still have 550 to eat later on, my fav snacks at the mo are small squares of hershey's sugar free chocalate which are only 30 cals and sugar free sweets called icebreakers and only 2 cals each and a pkt of twirls from spar they are 100 cals for a 40grm pack.

sorry forgot to say aprt from a little walking each day, don't do a lot of exercise yet, i know that i should but always seem to be busy...

Welcome to calorie counter. I am on 1500 calories a day (although 5ft 10'' tall) and like the others cut back a bit during the week to 'spend' at the weekend.

Good luck :)

Hi :) im like you karen, id rather eat later, although im trying to change as all i ever hear is breakfasts good suppers bad hehe, but i do have to have a little something in the evening of course! :) Well done losing 31lbs hollycat! thats great my total goal is to lose around 53lbs, my usual day (eating and excercise) is;
-Cup of tea with milk =50
-situps, arm toning (and i try to have a walk aswell)
-Breakfast,1 slice of toast +1 boiled egg or fibre cereals =200 or 120
-30 minutes on excercise bike
-Lunch,large fruit salad or salad (anything healthy+low cal) =250
-Dinner, A healthy meal =300-400
-30 minutes on excercise bike
-Snack, a yogurt =100
I also try to swim as often as possible, as ive been working on my fitness more than anything for a while now, and have only recently started the diet to get slim!
I havnt had any big disasters yet (its only been a week though!) and have been sticking to 900-1500 calories. Today ive felt abit ill though and i must say its effected the diet, probs approaching 2000 calories today :/ but still, a big improvment on my diet before i started!
Sorry about the long post guys :) keep me posted, id love a calorie counter to start an online food diary, not sure if i should though, any volunteers? hehe
Good luck

Hi tubbymummy - welcome to the world of calorie counters;)
Karen - I'm with you - I have never eaten breakfast and just can't face eating in the morning. Doesn't seem to have done me any harm. I stick to 1000 a day, but I don't count any veggies (apart from pots), berries or milk in coffee. So I'm probably around the 1200 mark. Some days, I don't eat as much as others - just depends how I feel.
Good luck Tubbymummy

i always used to stick to 1000 cals a day plus fruit, veg & salad free - but one day, i decided to actually weigh all my salad out and the fruit salad and was quite shocked, my salad which i always thought was not a lot of cals, was coming in at 75 calories and my fruit salad was 145 cals, so after that, i went through all of the items and wrote down the cals per 100 grms and i now add all up throughout the day.
i got weighed today and have lost 3.6 lb's so that is just under 11 lb's in 3 weeks - so a very happy bunny!

Wow so good to meet you all, I've had a good week, altho I went a bit off track on Thursday it ended with a couple of bottle of rose... oops!
I've been making sure I have breakfast, usually Special K with skimmed milk, been sticking to salad with turkey for lunch and then either a ww meal or salmon/chicken with veg for tea, I found that mikado sticks are only 11 cals each so I've been having a few of these to.
Sat night is usually take away night in my house so i figure I'll still be ok to carry on with it as I am not reaching the 1200 cals in the week.
I am a serial weigher so weigh myself every day ( i cant stop) and on Thursday I was down to 15. 0.5 which is fantastic, the wine put a few back on but i'm hapy that I've starting loosing.
Thanks all :D

Hi Tubbymummy,

I'm new here too, am nearing the end of my first week, and am at a very similar starting point to you!

I too haven't found this week all that bad, thankfully!

I'm aiming for 1400 daily, and don't find this too restrictive at all. My end target is 11st, which is at the very top end of the Normal BMI bracket, but I think this is realistic for me. I'm never going to be a very skinny minny...and even 11st sounds tiny!

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi!

GoGoGadget x

Hi Tubbymummy,

I'm new here too, am nearing the end of my first week, and am at a very similar starting point to you!

I too haven't found this week all that bad, thankfully!

I'm aiming for 1400 daily, and don't find this too restrictive at all. My end target is 11st, which is at the very top end of the Normal BMI bracket, but I think this is realistic for me. I'm never going to be a very skinny minny...and even 11st sounds tiny!

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi!

GoGoGadget x

Great to meet you and thanks for stopping by to say hello.
I've put 13 stone as my goal, I figured getting to that will be hard enough so when and if I do I can then think about what I'd like to get down to next.
I dont want to be a 'Skinny Minnie' either,I have big bones lol but I know I dont like who I am now.

I think this site will help us both heaps :)

Great to meet you and thanks for stopping by to say hello.
I've put 13 stone as my goal, I figured getting to that will be hard enough so when and if I do I can then think about what I'd like to get down to next.
I dont want to be a 'Skinny Minnie' either,I have big bones lol but I know I dont like who I am now.

I think this site will help us both heaps :)

Not if, WHEN!! Be positive!

I figure I need to get down to a healthy BMI, and 11st is the heaviest I can be and still be in the Normal bracket. So I might as well head for that now, rather than heading for a heavier weight and "making do" with that once I get there. I know what I'm like! I'll get to my 1st goal and think..."Oh, this'll do" and never get any lighter!

I'm hoping this site will help. My DH is looking to lose weight too, so that's a massive help. But I don't know anyone IRL that's as heavy as me that I can do this with. A friend of mine recently lost about 5st doing WW and she's looking fantastic, so that's been a big encouragement.

Where are you from? How old are your kiddies?

Not if, WHEN!! Be positive!

I figure I need to get down to a healthy BMI, and 11st is the heaviest I can be and still be in the Normal bracket. So I might as well head for that now, rather than heading for a heavier weight and "making do" with that once I get there. I know what I'm like! I'll get to my 1st goal and think..."Oh, this'll do" and never get any lighter!

I'm hoping this site will help. My DH is looking to lose weight too, so that's a massive help. But I don't know anyone IRL that's as heavy as me that I can do this with. A friend of mine recently lost about 5st doing WW and she's looking fantastic, so that's been a big encouragement.

Where are you from? How old are your kiddies?

LOL ok when i get there :)

I have a few mates who are in the same boat as me, I met 3 amazing friends through ww and we all live in various parts of the UK but we chat every day on Facebook, we're always encouraging each other which helps so much.
In from SW London, and am 36 in a week..my daughter is 14.
How about you?
I'm starting Uni on the 20th sept so would love to shift some lbs before then, I'm so nervous and being this big doesn't help.

Been so good today, making up for the wine i drank on Thurs.

Sorry if I'm jumping in the middle of a conversation! :)

Just wanted to say that a mixture of the above explains exactly what I'm going through! Calories counting every day - aiming for about 1500, which - SO FAR! :) - I've been doing really well with.

What I was wondering, however, is how it affects a calories counting plan when you go over on a day. Should you try to reduce on the next day?

I kinda binged on a few too many beers last night and I'm not sure how to counter act that! Lol!

By the way - I come from Bradford - so another UKer! :)

Last edited:

Just wanted to say that a mixture of the above explains exactly what I'm going through! Calories counting every day - aiming for about 1500, which - SO FAR! :) - I've been doing really well with.

What I was wondering, however, is how it affects a calories counting plan when you go over on a day. Should you try to reduce on the next day?

I kinda binged on a few too many beers last night and I'm not sure how to counter act that! Lol!

Just

No worries about joining in, I was wondering the same, I figure if I stick to under 1000 during the week then at the weekend I can have a few more, although I did really reduce after my wine binge.... it's only been a week for me so maybe someone who's been on it for a while will offer some help.

LOL ok when i get there :)

I have a few mates who are in the same boat as me, I met 3 amazing friends through ww and we all live in various parts of the UK but we chat every day on Facebook, we're always encouraging each other which helps so much.
In from SW London, and am 36 in a week..my daughter is 14.
How about you?
I'm starting Uni on the 20th sept so would love to shift some lbs before then, I'm so nervous and being this big doesn't help.

Been so good today, making up for the wine i drank on Thurs.

Oh it's good you've got some local people to spur you on. And the incentive of starting Uni, well done you on that front.

I'm 27, from Milton Keynes, and my little girl is 13 months.

I'm on Facebook too, if you fancy adding me? I'm Helen Patmore in the London network and my pic is my little girl in a pink dress.

By the way - I come from Bradford - so another UKer! :)

Hi Bearboy,

I have to admit, my plan is to keep each day separate. I went slightly over on Thursday, but I didn't see the point in punishing myself on Friday by reducing my calorie target and potentially failing. I figure if I go over on 1 day, then it's just 1 day that's a bit squiffy. If I try and make up for it, my whole week could end up being off!

All sounds good. Yes, I've also been keeping separate days up until now. Thank you - that's helped me decide to stick with that approach :)

I'll just consign the 'naughty day' to history and carry on as normal ;)

Cheers!

Back