Oh dear! Help me eat this fruit!

Chicaloca

Silver Member
Oh noes! Visited my Mum this weekend and as per usual I didnt leave empty handed. She gave me:

5 Mangoes
3 Bananas
5 Apples
3 Pears
and a tub of chopped up strawberries, apples and pears.

BUT I forgot I did a Tesco delivery and in that I also have:

1 Melon
6 Peaches
1 Punnet Bluberries
1 Punnet mixed berries

How am I ever going to eat all this lot? Its just me at home, oh my word I need some encouragement!! I hate to waste food.

Any suggestions!??!:eatdrink051:

send some to me I dont have any lol:)

why dont u see if u can blanch and freeze some, or try adding it into your breakfast cereal, that always uses up alot for me

u could look and see if there is any low syn desserts u could make with them :)

sorry I came on to comment and have went totally blank lol

Seems to me like you have the makings of a superfree breakfast feast for the week! Am jealous

You don't need to blanch fruit and if I had such a feast before me I might peel and slice the bananas and mangos, slice and stone the peaches, and wash the berries, then bag them up in whatever I'd consider reasonable portions, and stick them in the freezer. I think the melon might stand the same treatment but not certain.... the apples and pears you could keep out and use for snacks. For myself, I often have a very large mixed fruit salad for breakfast - makes me feel good inside and keeps me going til lunch - so I'd have no problem or conscience coping with such bounty!

Last edited:
Ive not freezed fruit, as after they have defrosted they just turn to mush, right? Might be ok with yog or porridge I suppose! If im honest I just want to smoothie the lot of it, of course that would be syn suicide!

Munching on some melon right now :D

well you wont have any trouble 'going' this week,lol.....certainly wont be needing the scan bran!!!!
what a thoughtful mum :) you usually hear stories of well meaning sabotage.
i would sit and work out what you could possibly eat...over how long a period depending on how long it will last then freeze the rest.
i personally would be happy and thinking what a good week loss wise i could have - lol.
breakfast as fruit salad,fruit for deserts and supper etc.....i too hate waste and would make sure it was well used.

That is 26 big portions of fruit. You need 35 for your 5-a-day so you don't have enough for the week lol

Ignore me - I am dead jealous :p

I would put the berries in the freezer, the nanas in the fruit bowl and the rest in the fridge to stop them turning in the warm weather. Enjoy!

Ive not freezed fruit, as after they have defrosted they just turn to mush, right? Might be ok with yog or porridge I suppose! If im honest I just want to smoothie the lot of it, of course that would be syn suicide!

Munching on some melon right now :D

yep it will be quite mushy and i personally would only use it with yogurt/porrige/weetabix after freezing.
or as a fruity eton mess type desert with a broken up meringue nest and fromage frais.

Not much to add except I am also jealous! Just eat it! Fruit salad for breakfast and fruit for pudding! Yum!

Oooo eton mess sounds great! Thanks all xx

Chicaloca said:
Oh noes! Visited my Mum this weekend and as per usual I didnt leave empty handed. She gave me:

5 Mangoes
3 Bananas
5 Apples
3 Pears

BUT I forgot I did a Tesco delivery and in that I also have:

1 Melon
6 Peaches
1 Punnet Bluberries
1 Punnet mixed berries

How am I ever going to eat all this lot? Its just me at home, oh my word I need some encouragement!! I hate to waste food.

Any suggestions!??!:eatdrink051:

Keep as much fruit in the fridge as you can, it'll last longer that way.

The bananas you can finish in a couple of days..

The mangoes should last you a week in the fridge even if you have 1/2 a day that will take you through the week

Cut the apple and pears and mix it with the tub mum gave you and have it for breakfast throughout the week or as a snack.

I'd freeze the berries and have for another time.

And the peaches and melon can be eaten too throughout the day.

It is a lot of fruit but you can easily get through it if you eat some with every meal.. I'd suggest before or after though.. You might be full of wind if you have it straight after a meal x

My C is alwaes barking on about freezing bananas. She says to peel them and cut into peices and freeze. Apparently the chunks taste really creamy (I don't like bananas)

I was gonna suggest making a big fruit salad too, and when I have blueberries, I chuck em in yougarts or on cereal. I reckon you could do the same with the strawberries too! :)

5 Mangoes
3 Bananas
5 Apples
3 Pears

I might just love your mum! Bless her.

Aren't you lucky. My mum, even though I told her not to, on her last visit, brought out chocolate, mini eggs, minstrels and Maltesers. One night we sat playing cards with 3 packets of "bad stuff" in front of me, and I didn't have any.

I buy loads of fruit and veg every Sunday, its only me that eats it. So I could find lots to do with your items. Enjoy!

Back