Oh dear!

Littleone

Hi. :D (I'll try make this as short as I can sorry!)

Well the title is negative (even though I am feeling positive - just this second :p)

I joined SW recently and came out of my first meeting feeling warm and fuzzy and enthusiastic. I had an ok first week. I tried to stick to the plan but I was very busy unfortunately and I admit I didn't end up planning much, or counting syns very well. I guessed. I wasn't sure what would happen with the scales but I didn't expect to gain. I eat a lot better than I usually do.

Turns out I gained a pound. I was really upset (it felt embarrassing as there was a long queue of people waiting behind me to be weighed and, other than that, no one seemed to know what to say to me) :cry:So silly old me went off to my boyfriend's feeling pretty bad and confused. :confused:

Since then I have eaten ok BUT not to SW plan.... Other than that, I have had one night and one day of non-stop bingeing. I eat loads. I mean loads! I was under a lot of stress from some life-thing (sorry I know it sounds like an excuse but it's really hard, honestly) and I felt like giving up.

I picked myself up from that today but my second weigh in is on Tuesday and I feel petrified of going and gaining weight again. But I don't want to give up either - I really meant it when I joined.

Anyone else been through similar? What do you think I should do about eating/exercise over the next few days? What should I do about the weigh in?

Thanks for any help you can give.. and well done for getting to the end of my babbling. ;)

You know what people are going to say dont you?

You joined SW two weeks ago but you have not followed the plan at all since then - so why are you confused about not losing? What you need to do is start doing what SW tell you to!

Draw a line under the past two weeks and start afresh - sit down and write your menu for the next few days - make sure you add your HEs and your full amount of syns

Then write it on here in the food diary part and we will let you know if you are on the right track

When you go to WI (and you ARE going) be honest and tell people what has happened - they will not judge you but help you find ways to get back onto the wagon as they all know how hard it is

But most of all do not give up! There will be lots of ups and downs during your weight loss journey but the trick is always picking yourself up again when you things do not go quite to plan :)

A great post by Circes.
It seems that you've commited to going to class but you haven't commited to changing you eating patterns. You can't expect SW to work if you aren't following the plan.
It's time to get your head into gear and concentrate, it takes some people a few weeks to get their act together following it correctly.
My advice is to go to WI and be honest. Spend the next few days on plan and reading your book, make a list of the syns in things that you like so that you won't have to guess.
This is just the beginning, practice makes perfect, you'll get into the swing of it if you give it a chance.

If you want the plan to work, spend a bit of time now reading over the plan, through the books and have a look through the magazine, or online recipes to work out how it's going to fit with you best. I always find that spending an hour a week planning what meals and snacks i'm going to have during the week, saves so much time and hassle throughout the week, and means you're following the plan without even thinking about it. I also find i'm not wasting food either as i'm making sure I only buy what I need.

Also, it's so important to write down all your syns as soon as you have them. SW isn't like WW where your meals and treats all come out of the same points budget, so if you have a few treats on WW you can adjust your meals accordingly. On sw if you have a couple of very small treats your syns could be used up for the day, and then if you start slipping in small things like mayo, a smudge of margarine etc, or even just under-guessing syn values, it can very quickly take you well over your daily limit.

It's a great plan, but to make it work you do need to make sure you focus on the things you are allowed, and then use your syns for extra's, not to create meals from the syns. I found myself slipping into this way of thinking in the past when I was busy and buying things like pre-packages sandwiches, or salads - No point wasting syns on those kinds of things when there's wine to be drunk and chocolate to be savoured!

Do go back to class, the majority of people there will have either been there for a long time and had good and bad weeks, or returners who have jumped on and off the SW wagon, so nobody will say anything negative as most people will have been there!

Ok, I accept what you are saying.

I think though that I made a mistake posting last night at 3am. I don't think I put my point across well.

What I wanted was mainly encouragement to get back on plan cause I was feeling very negative about that side of things. I'd just like to point out though that while I know everyone goes through very stressful events and times in their lives I am going through a very tough one now that I don't want to go into and that is the main reason why I didn't stick totally to plan. I tried.

Maybe, and I am just trying to be honest here (and thinking aloud) it is not totally the right time for me to do something like this. I do want to do it - but I don't think I can follow it completely 100%. Because of life-stress and various other things....

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Littleone :)

You said in your opening post that you are eating better than usual. This is a very positive thing to build upon.

Sorry to read you are going through a tough time at the moment. If you have things in your life over which you feel you have little control, healthy eating is a good thing to do. It gives you something positive to focus on and gives you some control in your life. Erratic eating will make the symptoms of stress worse.

When you are ready to jump back on the wagon, you will do well as the plan really works! Good luck :)

Ok, I accept what you are saying.

I think though that I made a mistake posting last night at 3am. I don't think I put my point across well.

What I wanted was mainly encouragement to get back on plan cause I was feeling very negative about that side of things. I'd just like to point out though that while I know everyone goes through very stressful events and times in their lives I am going through a very tough one now that I don't want to go into and that is the main reason why I didn't stick totally to plan. I tried.

Maybe, and I am just trying to be honest here (and thinking aloud) it is not totally the right time for me to do something like this. I do want to do it - but I don't think I can follow it completely 100%. Because of life-stress and various other things....

Thanks for the advice.

I think you need to give this some thought. Don't be thrown off just because you had a bad start, just start again. When other parts of your life aren't going well, it can be good to gain some control by losing weight.

However you say you wanted encouragement to get back on plan, but it doesn't sound like you really want to do sw.

I honestly think you need to take time to decide what your priority is, if its no to lose weight, then you are wasting your time and money as you really NEED to want to do it.

Good luck, whatever you do xxx

There is lots of encouragement to get back on plan and amongst this forum you will find lots more. We all have our difficult times on s.world but unfortunately yours is right at the beginning. Was some reason why despite what you have going on in your life you wanted to start s.world at this point? Does that reason still stand or is it well and truly not the right time for you?

There are lots and lots of reasons to start sticking to the plan (weight loss, personal achievement, tasty recipes etc) if you want to and you will find lots of support here and the fact that you came for help at 3 a.m indicates you want it?

You say noone knew what to say to you at your group after weigh in but can I ask did you stay to the image therapy? Just listening to others can help with our own journey and/or even though it may feel difficult to ask in front of the group the group can help with your journey or your consultant could maybe help you individually?

I hope you are able to work out whats best for you and how you can get on track good luck xxx

Back