Oh my goodness Mike!!

KD

Gone fishing
I had my diet cards out today. The ones you get from slimming clubs:rolleyes:

The first time (and only time..except Cambridge) that I got to goal was the day you were born:eek:

How scary is that
th_scared16.gif

All this time, chasing the pounds. What a waste:(

You've been doing some reminiscing then? :rolleyes::D

The first time (and only time..except Cambridge) that I got to goal was the day you were born:eek:

How scary is that
th_scared16.gif

The waste would have been if you hadn't continued and given up.

Well done to you KD.

LMAO - 12th February 1974, I remember it well!

It was a Tuesday

And bloody cold...

You've been doing some reminiscing then? :rolleyes::D

No....tidying up :D

The waste would have been if you hadn't continued and given up.

Yeah, but come on....34 years of it. That's crazy:rolleyes:

LMAO - 12th February 1974, I remember it well!

It was a Tuesday

And bloody cold...

Don't remember that. I did celebrate getting to goal with fish and chips...and....and...and.:rolleyes: I remember that well.

Obviously didn't have a clue what it was all about:eek:

How scary is that
th_scared16.gif

Now that is amazing, I agree with Bev if you had not got there then that would be a waste, but you did, and you are such an achiever.

Its so funny its Mikes birthday though.

How can it be a waste KD, after all, you wouldnt be the person you are know without having done all you have done, and you certainly wouldnt have helped me, and many of us so much.

Now Im being creepy:D

Out of interest, is the goal weight the same now as it was back then??

And, at least you got to goal once before, Ive done 15yrs of trying and only managed it the once with CD

Actually, I told a lie. It was the 2nd time I got to goal. I found my very first card:eek:

Out of interest, is the goal weight the same now as it was back then??

No, it was much lower. In fact, I was smaller when I started it:eek:

The first time was crazy. I was 17 (just). The membership to the slimming club was a birthday present from Mother.:rolleyes:

I wasn't overweight. In fact, I've just calculated my BMI for my starting weight, waaay back then and I was a BMI of 22.9:rolleyes:

But mother said I was fat....and I believed her.:sigh:

I can't remember the details of why they took me on, but I do remember them banning me from the club in the end for losing too much. I carried on losing after goal, but it wasn't easy to maintain. Of course, then I put it on (and more), then lost it, then gained even more, then lost some....you know...same old, same old:sigh:

More in a mo.

Right....first diet.

Food didn't have calorie values on them
There was no calorie book.
I don't remember low fat yoghurts, in fact anything made low fat or low calorie to help.
No granulated sweeteners
No semi skimmed, or skimmed milk (don't remember any anyway)
No ready meals.
Supermarkets were few and far between.

It was a calorie counting diet. I was on 1,000. If you were 2stone away from goal you had your 1,000 and a treat of a bar of chocolate.

If you were 5 stone away, you could have 2 bars of chocolate. Remember bars were smaller in those days :p

As a person with little/none to lose, I was just allowed the 1,000 :(

Because foods didn't have their calorie values on them, the diet was set out already calculated. I remember one of the meals!

1 chipolata sausage
a little gravy
a small potato
some baked beans. (probably had weights stated, but don't remember them)

I didn't like beans, so dinner was the rest.

I stuck to it, and was training hard for the English Judo championships. How on earth I did it, goodness only knows.:eek:

when I lost the weight, I had no idea what I was supposed to do. There was no info out there. No internet, no guidance at all. So, I carried on eating what was stated in the booklet....obviously :D

There must have been a time when I gave up on the booklet. I sort of remember thinking that if I didn't have the club, then I wasn't on a diet, so just back to what I was eating before (and probably more:sigh:)

History lesson now over :)

SHOCKING!!! :0

My god you must have been skeletal, surely??

For my body type, reckon I probably was, but when you have someone telling you you're still fat every day....and you're a teen, you don't see it.

I remember going into a shop and asking for a certain size (can't remember what size!), and the shop assistant said I needed at least 2 sizes smaller.

I told my mum and she insisted they were just being kind because they felt sorry for me....being so fat and all:sigh:

I thought everything I wore had the wrong sizing it it.:rolleyes:

omg KD.. Bless you honey.. it sounds so interesting about the diet club though.. how could somone who was maintaining have 1000 calories a day? or is that what you have to have?
x x x

omg KD.. Bless you honey.. it sounds so interesting about the diet club though.. how could somone who was maintaining have 1000 calories a day? or is that what you have to have?
x x x

There was no maintenance level set. You just left when you got to goal. The 1,000 was for losing weight. As things weren't calorie labelled, it was easier to just stick to the 1,000.

After all, I didn't really have the experience of calories. For all I knew, a peanut could have the same amount of calories as a pork pie. It's easier now as it's all labelled and talked about more often.

1,000 cals wasn't many. With no skimmed milk, 1/2pt of whole milk would have been about 180 cals and with the lack of low cal substitutes, it must have been quite difficult to feel full on what's left.

I do remember being hungry...but then I'm hungry on most diets whatever the level :D

Mothers hey - they have alot to answer for sometimes

Yeah, bless her. She was 22 stone when she died (aged 59). I reckon she had a type of body dysmorphia. When she saw me, she saw a bigger body;)

Yeah, bless her. She was 22 stone when she died (aged 59). I reckon she had a type of body dysmorphia. When she saw me, she saw a bigger body;)

Body dysmorphia by proxy????

Back