OH NO cambridge on the diet doctors programme

louisa26

they've just made a very bad light of this diet!!

This woman started yoyo'ing in and out of CD and now has a program with eating and basically has a phobia and a problem with food

and now at the end they have said the diet doctors wouldnt recommend a vlcd because its not a 'quick fix' resolution as it seems etc grrrr:mad:

Last edited:
In part though i do agree- it's not a quick fix. Although the weight comes off quickly if eating habits arent changed the weight will pile on again - i know from experience!!
A VLCD is just like any other diet in this respect. I hate to see diets singled out like this as the same principles apply to any diet. I have a close friend who yo yo'd on weight watchers and now has terrible food issues - and thats supposedly not a diet it's an eating plan!!

I think yes it isn't a quick fix - but if you are stones and stones overweight it can literally take ages to lose it on a healthy eating plan and ya know if your health and self esteem are suffering all the time you are so big then why not do a VLCD to shift it faster at least that way you feel good about yourself sooner.

Yes you still need to deal with the issues and reasons you got fat - BUT you need to do that on a healthy eating plan too.

We all have different lifestyles, health and levels of motivation and so VLCDs are absoloutely NOT the way forward for everyone, but I think for some people they are fantastic.

As for them causing eating disorders - well if you are badly overweight enough to need a VLCD (like me) I would think there is a good chance you already have issues with food and body image. you can't say the diet caused those.

A doctor friend of mine told me that is was more dangerous to have a BMI over 40 than to lose the weight quickly.

We all know that losing it is only half the journey.Most of us have been on diets for most of our adult lives,and have issues with food.
I know the CD is not the only diet where people lose lots of weight and put it all (And more)back on again and if you lose the weight with this or any other diet there is as much chance that you will put it back on if you don't change your eating habits.
I do think the programme is responsible though as once you have got to near goal they do suggest you introduce food gradually,moving through the steps,trying to encourage healthy habits.
Personally,with so much weight to lose if I don't see a constant loss every week I get disheartened and give up and hopefully with the CD this will not happen.
susanx

Back