oil boiler fumes

gillybeans

want to be me again ...
We have just found out why Mr beans and I have been feeling so sick and off colour recently and its certainly not the eating plan ...been struggling to eat and feeling tired lethargic and generally poorly for weeks now on and off and its all because our oil central heating boiler has been leaking!!
We rent and have always noticed the smell but were told its normal ..it got serviced this morning and was found to be leaking ..probably for some time.. those fumes are so dangerous, no wonder we have been feeling so awful ..
Just thought I would warn anyone else ..
gilly xx

oh dear, is it carbon monoxide? i know that has similar effects

Blimey!!!! That definitely isnt good..I hope you've given your Landlord a piece of your mind!
Glad to know that you have found out the problem though and now you should have an illness free Christmas!!!

Kerry-Ann
xx

Just as well really as we have mr beans elderly parents staying from sunday till new year !!! just so upset as we keep pc in the same room and have mentioned a few times on post i feel sick ...anyway atleast its sorted now but could have been alot worse !
please everyone do make sure your boilers are serviced in this cold spell ..
hugs gilly xx

i had the same thing hon except my safety valve was broken, i said to the guy so is it dangerous he said well put it this way if it went out and you went to re light it in the morning you would be in alot of trouble!!! i was furious they hadn sent anyone out for well ove 18 months to service it and i'm sure it's still leaking they had to purt a big red sticker on condemning it and i dint have hot water for 10 days. at least your safe now though XXX

OMG! no wonder you were feeling so sick. I'm glad you found out about it. Yikes! It's a scary thought what could happen if it had gone un-noticed.

I thought from the title you were talking about when my mum talks LOL... the hottest poison comes out of her mouth sometimes LOL

omg hun so glad nothing serious happened to u.
we rent to and our piliot light won't stay on at mo so no heating or water since thursday(i reported it staight away) which i think is terrible when we have 2 kids in the house one being only 15 weeks

Thats awful tink i hope you get it sorted out soon , we hadnt realised just how dangerous those fumes are ..everone that called thought we had been painting !!!
Inatiz i take it your mums a bit of a dragon then hehehehe
just please make sure you check your boilers !!!
gilly xxx

For info - if you rent your home, by law every 12 months your Landlord has to have the boiler serviced by a Corgi registered engineer (this is England, not sure about Scotland I'm afraid) - so don't put up with it, they have to do it.

thanks melanie xx I did call the agents they say by law they dont have to get it serviced and they had it done at 'no charge ' to ourselves ......i am sure you are right though ..i think i may take this further thanks honey xxxx

I work for a Boiler manufacturers, you should really have your boiler serviced every year, theres no legality to having it done though, it's amazing how many people leave it for years and years without a service, and then wonder why they have so many problems with it later on. Lol xxxx

For info - if you rent your home, by law every 12 months your Landlord has to have the boiler serviced by a Corgi registered engineer (this is England, not sure about Scotland I'm afraid) - so don't put up with it, they have to do it.

Yeah i rented my last place and it was checked every year, i think it is the same up here. However i bought this place with my partner a year and a half ago and haven't had our boiler checked. Going to make the effort and get it checked though after hearing your story gillybeans. Glad you got it sorted. No wonder you have been feeling sick. I am also going to buy one of those carbon monoxide indicators too.

thanks melanie xx I did call the agents they say by law they dont have to get it serviced and they had it done at 'no charge ' to ourselves ......i am sure you are right though ..i think i may take this further thanks honey xxxx

I'm sorry but that's absolute bullsh*t - unless they aren't managing the property in which case it is the Landlord's responsibility. It certainly isn't the tenants!! You might like to point out to the agents that there are severe penalties for not having a Corgi gas certificate done every year and fixing whatever problems the Corgi registered engineer mentions - they are in danger of a £50,000 fine and the possibility of going to prison for manslaughter if anything (God forbid) happened to you.

I suggest you contact your local Health & Safety mob and tell them about this. I work for an agent and if the Landlord doesn't supply a Corgi certificate when the tenant first moves in and again every year, we either put a Corgi engineer in ourselves and deduct it from the rent, or we withhold the rent until they supply one. It's amazing how quickly they provide one in those circumstances!

If your agent is a member of the NAEA or ARLA, then I suggest you report them to those organisations as well.

Back