OK, I want to come clean!

From Uk chat (28.09.2011):

-I have celiac disease can I eat oatbran? if I cant what can i substitute it with?
-Sonja : Hi Paula! I'm sorry but there is no substitute for oat bran. Then don't worry as you will still lose weight even if it's a bit slower than the average. Keep going and have a nice evening!

even if it was the opposite, I don't think I could give up my galettes, I couldn't do this diet without them..

wkdstepmum said:
Jade, it's just that some people are more sensitive to sweeteners I think x
Locket, sensing a little passive aggression...I guess you can't tell tone from text but regardless, my opinion on the matter is just as valid as yours. I feel health benefits from the Oat Bran I use which I get from a local organic health food store and as day to day dieting goes I couldn't manage this diet without it.

Passive aggressive? I've never been accused of that before. I guess there's a first time for everything.
No one said your opinion isn't valid, I've merely been stating what I've read in Dr Dukan's other books. Only when armed with all the facts can we make an informed decision. This is not stuff I've been making up, this is stuff that he himself has said, recently.

Jade - I believe the citric acid can cause stalling. If you are stalling it's worth cutting down on the fizzy drinks to see if it makes a difference; if you're losing well though, keep drinking it in moderation, it's a nice bonus to the diet!

According to Dr Dukan if the bran in the oatbran is not thoroughly sifted it is not sufficiently pure and contains too much flour.
The flour alone in the relatively unsifted oatbran is enough to make someone stall and so, for me, yes, it's enough reason to drop the oatbran to see if it has any effect on my stalled weight.
If I was taking vitamin tablets that weren't fulfilling their objective I would either fond an alternative or wonder why I'm throwing my money away.

Surely the above is an argument for upgrading your supply of oatbran - not throwing the whole concept out of the window!

Atropos said:
Surely the above is an argument for upgrading your supply of oatbran - not throwing the whole concept out of the window!

Absolutely!!! But as I don't have any Dukan oatbran to hand and my order from the Dukan store is pending, I see no harm in abstaining from my regular oatbran to see if that has caused me to stall. Many, many things may cause a stall and I've eliminated most of the culprits from my diet. As the oatbran I use at the moment has quite a bit of flour in it, it too could be the culprit. Just because it's oatbran it doesn't mean it cannot possibly be the cause.

According to your stats you're 1lb from your goal weight. I might understand eliminating it if you were a very long way from goal and consistently stalling. Whatever anyway Locket. Do your thing.

Lol at all the animosity over a bit of oat bran! I think everyone now has all the facts and is free to make up their own minds, while it might not be the most healthy way of doing dukan I don't think anyone's going to die from lack of oat bran :)

I would not dream of judging any individual who choses to tweak the diet to make it suit them.

But I am very wary of reading public discussions about ways to streamline the diet and create a faster loss (ie - a crash version) without pointing out the dangers of such an approach to visitors and new members.

When the diet was serialised in the press a couple of months ago, it saw a huge modification of the basic original principles. With this, it's attracted a lot of dieters who are approaching it from the perspective of it as a diet trend, and, as such, the formulation of the diet and how and why it works is being lost.

Just think: if you cut out the oatbran and finally achieve your goal weight, how will you deal with the Consolidation phase and the introduction of higher carbs, fats and sugars - let alone celebration meals?
At least with the oatbran, suggested benefits aside, your body is already used to intaking a modest carb allowance. How will it cope with the influx that comes with Consolidation foods?

I have most certainly not jumped on some Daily Mail bandwagon. I have been doing this for almost 3 months now, sticking to it no matter what. The weight loss has been slow, I've stuck to it. I know that in the long run, in a year or so, I'll be able to eat things I want guilt-free because I'd have re-educated myself on food and how to control my weight successfully.
I have merely suggested dropping the oatbran for a few days to see if it is behind my stall. There really is no harm in this. Dr Dukan himself has said that there is no harm in this diet without the oatbran in his Dukan Diet Recipe Book.
All I've heard is how unhealthy it is. I've seen nothing in all the literature I've read to back this up.
For my opinion I've been shot down, vocally dismissed and been called passive aggressive.
Not once have I stated anything but things I have read in Dr Dukan's books.
Whereas I don't expect everybody or anybody to agree with my decision the response has been rather harsh and in some cases unnecessary.

Back