Old habits don't always leave!

jaylou

Gold Member
I see so many threads and posts about old habits leaving when you have been on SW for a while - I can only wish this was true for me.

So, is this just me? Am I alone with this?

I can still eat huge portions
I still eat until I am full up, I don't like being hungry, I like to feel properly full after my evening meal
I eat until my plate is clear, I hate waste
I can still eat when I'm not hungry
I have not reduced the amount of food I eat, it doesn't take less to fill me up
I do not naturally reach for a banana as opposed to a packet of crisps or chocolate
I can still eat a full pack of kettle chips and dips
I can still eat a full pack of "sharing" sweets
I still want naan bread with a curry, pizza and garlic bread

Now, I choose not to have the "bad" things most of the time but when it comes to my stomach supposedly shrinking and needing less to fill me up, it's just not the case!!!

Anyone agree, or shall I just shuffle off and eat my weight in pasta for lunch ;)

I'm exactly the same as you

When people say they don't want cake and chocolate anymore, yes I do I just choose not to have as much and work it into my syns. I don't eat crisps anymore, but that's not because I don't want them, I'd just rather use my syns on chocolate or cake.

I also eat massive portions, eat until I've cleared my plate and can eat when I'm not hungry... I try not to but I do

The other weekend we ordered curry as we were at a friends, I was really good and ordered vindaloo and a chappati to share which I had worked out at a total of 10 syns... they sent free garlic bread and even though I was ranting about why have garlic bread with a curry.. I ate it and dunked it in my curry (enjoyed it as well)

So no your not alone at all.... oh and over Christmas I will go into it with the best intentions but I will eat my body weight in rubbish. There's no way if my uncle buys 4 different cakes for Christmas day and boxing day again that I won't be trying a slice of each

Two of us in the club then!!
When I see that people will be SWing the Christmas dinner, I am in awe! I don't want to. I want proper sausages with bacon, I want goose fat roasties, I want honey roasted carrots and christmas pud with brandy butter!! I don't buy tons of chocolates, nuts, crisps, biscuits though but if I had them I would want to eat them!!!

I'm slightly in awe of people who's habbits do change, but I'm also in awe of people who can happily put weight on over winter and then loose it again over summer (my problem would be I would carry on eating over summer) however, I am also happy being in our little club actually, I like that I can still enjoy my little treats and that I've learnt to control it

Nope definately not alone! I still want all the bad stuff, don't know if it's because i have only been doing it a few months, but i hardly think a lifetimes worth of eating will ever be banished in such a short space of time.
I still want chocolate and cake, i just syn them, i make sure i have all 15 syns and i have a treat box which i make very morning that has 15 syns worth in it, and then when it's gone, it's gone.

My appetite has never been huge, i gained all my weight for everything that is now synned!

I think if for those that say they have changed this that and the other, if that is the case, then grand for me them, but i certainly think they are the minority, otherwise why so many restarters and strugglers (myself included)

I'm also in this camp! As much as I would love to say that I'm not interested in sweets, chocolate, cakes, crisps etc I would be lying, the difference is that now I just know how to allow myself these things in moderation - most of the time! There are still times that I eat for the sake of it just because I fancy something, I can easily eat beyond being full and really struggle not to clear my plate even if I am full!

Nope definately not alone! I still want all the bad stuff, don't know if it's because i have only been doing it a few months, but i hardly think a lifetimes worth of eating will ever be banished in such a short space of time.

I've been doing this for years!! I think it's the way we are made - some people love food and some are just not bothered! I love it, far too much and I want everything!

I've been doing this for years!! I think it's the way we are made - some people love food and some are just not bothered! I love it, far too much and I want everything!
This, but with cake, i miss baking so much but i cannot be trusted not to eat it and it almost seems like such a waste to bake loads of yummyness and just give it all away!

I still have big portions and love chocolate! I'd love to think that I'll eat SW forever, and not fall off the wagon, but Christmas is going to be a serious challenge, I'm going to eat the universe on Christmas Day, and I know I'm going to find it very hard to get back on the plan.

I think my biggest problem is i always clear my plate and i think its one of the reasons i got so big. I wouldnt even start eating until i was at home after work and i could eat and eat and eat non stop for hours. If i was on man vs food there would no challenge i couldnt do haha.

What i have to do now is use a bit of portion control and stack full of super free if i have a big meal.

With only getting to target tuesday this week is going to be a right tester as i was eating around my training so i was having 3 big meals a day and now i am trying eating 5/6 yes 5/6 meals a day. Ive already had 3 so far to. Im going to be eating a little bit different from what i was eating but im hoping it will at least give me a maintain this week or even a little gain as i have lost weight every week so far this year.

Ive added a few more starchy carbs per day (rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes) back into my food as those are what i had cut down on (which was my own choice by the way no one told me to do that) i might even up my syns as i had been as low as 5 a day on average over the week (sometimes i would have none some days over the 15) and go back to 15 or maybe 20.

The reason i could probably go that high is i have worked out my Basal Metabolic Rate and taken into account my training and i can eat about 3300 cals a day which sounds like loads to me.

This is me too! I still want the stuff what's bad for me but I choose to not have it- or syn sized portions etc

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

pixie-gem said:
This, but with cake, i miss baking so much but i cannot be trusted not to eat it and it almost seems like such a waste to bake loads of yummyness and just give it all away!

Im the same, before slimming world I used to bake every weekend, be it buns or madeira cake. Now if I bake at all its cupcakes for someone else.

I have done well on slimming world but I will never be able to change the way I think about junk food. I wouldnt overeat with my lunch or dinner. But I could quite easily have a sweets and chocolate marathon - large popcorn, big bag of minstrels and a bag of tangfastics while watching a dvd would be no problem.

I really wish I was allergic to popcorn and chocolate lol! But realistically I think I will always have to use my willpower to say no to the bad stuff and stay within my syns. I cant even have chocolate or biscuits in the house at all! I just dont buy them because I would sit down and eat them until they were gone :-(

That's why I started this thread Safia, so many people on here do seem to be like you - I thought it was just me whose appetite hadn't reduced or bad habits left!!
Thankfully (in a selfish sort of way) I'm not on my own!

Dealing with our bad habits is another thing entirely and we all have our own coping mechanisms for that it seems.

jaylou said:
That's why I started this thread Safia, so many people on here do seem to be like you - I thought it was just me whose appetite hadn't reduced or bad habits left!!
Thankfully (in a selfish sort of way) I'm not on my own!

Dealing with our bad habits is another thing entirely and we all have our own coping mechanisms for that it seems.

My husbands appetite hasnt reduced at all and he has loads of bad habits too he cant seem to kick so your definately not on your own x

Nope, def not just you. I could quite easily go back to a weekend where I eat mcd's for breakfast, pizza for lunch & a Chinese for dinner. Washed down with 2 bottles of wine & some full fat coke.

If it was that easy to change from your old ways then we'd never end up back on a diet after the 1st time!

Nope, def not just you. I could quite easily go back to a weekend where I eat mcd's for breakfast, pizza for lunch & a Chinese for dinner. Washed down with 2 bottles of wine & some full fat coke.

If it was that easy to change from your old ways then we'd never end up back on a diet after the 1st time!

Ooh a lovely food day!!! I lurve mcD's breakfast'

Ooh this sounds FIT!!

I am definitely the same jaylou. Could easily (and do rather well when off plan) go back to my bad habits.

Yes Sw is a lifestyle change, however that doesn't mean that I won't have to still think about if every day for the rest of my life when on plan!

Portion control and making healthy choices do t come naturally to me and I don't see it ever happening :( x

I do generally eat less than I used to but still eat a lot and have learnt that I can easily slip into my old habits. Thats one of the reasons why I gained 9lbs when on holiday in the summer, we were away with others and I was surrounded by temptation and just ate what I wanted which unfortunately was lots of bad things in large quantities!
When I was completely in the sw zone and on way to target the first time I didn't imagine this would happen to me and couldn't understand why it did to others as as we know sw is fab and we can eat lots etc etc
I think as Mrs.S says it is a lifestyle change but I will have to be aware of the choices I make if I want to maintain that as I would be inclined to go off the rails if I wasn't aware and wen you are surrounded by people who don't have to be aware and make those choices constantly its not always easy!

Back