Old lady downstairs (following on from recent rant!)

suepat10

I am one of the 63336
The poor lady downstairs (93 years old) had another fall during the night. My son woke us up just after 2am to say she was calling 'help' again.

I called 999 and they sent an ambulance plus the police in case they needed to break the door down. Fortunately I managed to wake up the neighbour who has a doorkey so the police weren't needed.

Thank goodness she only has a sore foot (she had tripped over her walking frame on the way to the toilet) but hadn't been able to get up off the floor.

I feel a bit bad calling the ambulance out for a sore foot (they were in there about half an hour and then went patientless), especially on a Friday night, but then in hindsight she may have been more badly hurt than I or the neighbour realised - the neighbour made her as comfortable as she could without moving her.

I have a feeling this may be a regular occurrence! Ah well, if the lady wants to live in her own place as long as possible then the occasional disturbed night is no problem for us.

Sounds like at the very least she needs one of those alert thingy's that they were around their necks-my disabled cousin has one. She can summon help independantlt then.

I think you did absolutely the right thing, for all you knew she could've had a broken hip or anything !! But i also know if it becomes regular that could become quite a drain on you

Thank you for your words but I really don't think we've done anything that anyone else wouldn't have done. We received a lovely card from her through the door yesterday afternoon thanking us for our kindness.

All we are doing is keeping our ears open for her. I hope her knowing we are listening out makes her feel safer in her own home xx

Last edited:
how kind of you to be so neighbourly! if only others were as considerate, the world would be a happier place! xxx

Back