OMG I am devastated - updated

:hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99::hug99:

On the plus side (which I know you might be going eh?:confused:) - the people in that part of the world are amazing - especially in a crisis - so I know that you have a ready made support system.

I hope your sister is OK and they find the policeman safe and well

xxxxxx

:( oh sticky! How awful - you hear about this all the time on the telly but now youv posted it suddenly seems so much scarier.

I hope your secound property is okay. and that the flat and all the exchanges go through without anyone pulling out. *hugs*

Hope your okay, be strong xxxxxx

Thanks everyone. We've JUST now heard - it didn't breach the bottom flat so we're ok. To be honest, it was least of my worries. We could have sold it again later but people have lost theirhomes (for a while anyway).

My sister is yet to get out of her home - the bridge to town is half down so they'll have to wait until the other route clears.

Our efforts to help our friends and their neighbours failed - just found out they have water ingress. Not lots - but enought to leave a layer of silt which will be problematic enough to sort and they're going to be the lucky ones given how bad a lot of homes are. But they won't have flood insurance as not in a flood risk area...usually.

Still numb. Not allowed to go home either so feel useless.

There has been a small landslide blocking railways too this morning apparently - it's chaos but luckily it looks like it'll only be the one death (suspected). Luckily seems a weird word but given how bad it's been, it really is.

xxx

Last edited:
Whilst we were watching the news last night, hubby asked me if I remembered driving through Cockermouth on holiday last year. He remembers it well, and this morning got the Environment Agency map of the area up to show me where we drove, and the extent of the flooding.

Couldn't BELIEVE it when I then saw your post, and found that someone I actually "knew" lived there. It looks absolutely HORRENDOUS - my heart goes out to everyone affected by it all.

Do hope that all is well at home, that the exchange goes through tomorrow and your other property is safe. How you can be thinking of helping other people when you're so devastated yourself shows
the sort of person you are...

P.S. I'm SO slow, that I'd started keying this BEFORE your last post! So pleased that your flats are OK. Very Best Wishes to you all.

Last edited:
Honey I can't say more than anyone else has added but wanted to send you my thoughts and hope you and everyone you know is okay.
xx

My heart goes out to you Sticky and everyone there. The wonderfull thing is how people all pull together in a crisis like this and by some miricle come out the other side. I do hope they find the policeman unhurt and my thoughts are with his family as well as everyone else there. Have you heard how your sister is? It won't matter if she cann't get to the hospital, another appointment can be made, at least she isn't in labour. Try not to worry hun (I know you will, its natural), I'm sure the community will all pull together and as long as everyone is safe thats what matters. Material things can be relplaced people cann't.
Love and hugs my friend. Carolyne xxxxxxx

Thanks everyone. The weather is ok now which is lucky. Not raining but more is due tomorrow. Hopefully if it holds off today it'll give the rivers time to pull back somewhat and then, if it hits again over the weekend it might mean it doesn't damage more than has already been damaged - if you know what I mean.

Roz V - glad that you go to visit our lovely town before this. It'll recover, it's just worse than it's been in a long time. Most of the businesses along Main Street are independent - all little cute shops. I hope they can survive this and not lose their businesses. I love the town because it's quaint and I hate the idea of the damage that's been done. The big national stores are all dry - the ones that could have suffered less cost wise are fine. Seems so cruel.

I am so incredibly lucky that my home is outside town - it's in the village and on a huge hill so we're safe. Our town property is safe too. We're not the ones having to face losing everything, or the poor family who are facing losing a loved one. It's upset me but I am lucky and very appreciative that I have been.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts and messages. Like I said, I'm ok - just sad for the town and those really affected.

And the sad thing is, this weekend was the little Christmas event on Main Street. The local schools do songs for us and all the town comes out to see the lights put on (they're so pretty) and enjoy the run into Christmas. It has been the best holiday event ever in our town and it won't happen this year. But hopefully this time next year I can tell you all it is going ahead and things are better.

The stupid council better get flood defences sorted now - when you get floods UPHILL you know something is bad!

xoxox

Just to say how relieved I am for you. My OH knows Cockermouth quite well. Flooding is awful, my sister has been flooded twice and it's just devastating. My heart goes out to everyone affected, especially the family of the missing policeman.

Just when things looked like improving it gets bad again.

My friends have been into town and say that the water is withdrawing fast but what's been left behind is nothing other than devastation - the roads are ripped up in parts and peoples houses are in a real mess due to the speed of water. A lot of the store fronts along Main Street are blown in due to pressure and still people missing.

The Policeman has been named - he's a 45 year old man with 3 kids and still missing :-(

The bridge to my village is now shut as cracking and fear of collapse. There is one other route in, but if that closes we will either not get home or not get out again.

Leaving work early to stock up on food and get back. We should be ok tonight - it's tomorrow that might get worse if rain comes back.

I'm meant to be heading down to visit a friend in Manchester and should get there as the road to station is re-opening today so if we can leave the village we should be fine.

But would it be wrong to go? I feel we should go to the local sports centre and help with the relief work instead. I'm not sure I should be having fun when I could be helping???

My sister is staying with us tonight at least - they got out safely but after a fashion.

But got to look to the good - the water is receding fast so fingers crossed the rain holds off. xxx

fingers crossed for you Sticky! what a horrible thing to happen :(

X

I've just seen this on the news and it is heartbreaking. They have found a body in policeman's clothing and can only assume it is the missing man. The scene is just so shocking, I really really feel for the people in the area. They are forecasting more rain tonight but lets hope that they've got it wrong.
Keep safe christina. xx

I've been watching this on the news it is devastating for the families and the village.At one point on the news they said there was 11 people missing but later they said all but the policeman were accounted for. Fingers crossed he is found safe and well

It's amazing how different the news pictures and reports feel when you know someone involved.
I'm so sorry about all this hon, and really hope that you and yours can stay safe.
Do what you feel to be right - go to Manchester if you can, or maybe stay and help out for now and go to Manchester in a couple of weeks instead - either way, no-one will blame you or judge you whatever your decision.

I hope everything calms down and everything can get back to a sort of normality as soon as possible x

Im so glad your okay hun.
Heard the radio report on the way home earlier. I Feel awful for the family who have lost the poor man.

*hugs* been thinking of you, and your town .. and everyone else today. x

An absolute tragedy. They've confirmed the body is that of the policeman - a 44 year old father of 4 children. Terrible for his family and his work colleagues. Not forgetting the people whose homes and businesses will have been devestated. xx

Back