On a budget

clazz

Are any of you guys doing propoints on a budget? Due to personal circumstances I am going to have to rethink how much we spend on food. Are their any good idea's out there, which you can help me reduce how much I spend on food? I am looking for ideas on cheap evening meals and pack lunches? Otherwise I dont think I can carry on with propoints! :mad:

It shouldn't be more expensive to eat on Propoints unless you're buying the WW products. If you are, sack them off, there's always a non brande cheaper equivalent. Shop at Aldi or Lidl to save a few bob too, they're just as good as the bigger supermarkets but much cheaper.

We have a Lidls near us but I find their veg goes off really quickly! Is there any bargains low propoint wise you get there?

Dominoid said:
Their desserts are generally pretty good. Yogurts there are generally 2-3 propoints for a start. Their ice cream is almost always lower than the Ben and jerrys or haagen dasz equivalent too and its just as lush.

Legend! Thanks for this! X

I would try online shopping. I have been doing it for years. Each week there are offers but you can always replace your normal items with their value items. Things such as beet root 44p, lettuce 59p to give you an example. Also you Akeays have a running total so know when to stop or adjust what you have in your basket x

I have a look at the supermarket websites and find out what fruit and veg is on offer where and do my shopping according to that. Last week morrisons had 50p plums and nectarines and aldi have blueberries for 69p. :)

Batch cook as well,curries,lasagnes etc.use plenty of veg to bulk them out or lentils and yup cheap brands work just as well.We are also on a budget/very skint!

I chucked some rice, tinned tomato, garlic, stock and frozen veg in an ovenproof dish the other day and made a med style rice and for 6 points there was loads and was delicious. So nice infact I'm having it again and your talking 50p cost wise if you use own brand stuff.

mrshurt86 said:
I chucked some rice, tinned tomato, garlic, stock and frozen veg in an ovenproof dish the other day and made a med style rice and for 6 points there was loads and was delicious. So nice infact I'm having it again and your talking 50p cost wise if you use own brand stuff.

Wow this sounds really good :0)

I can recommend cooking in batches. I used to be buying ready meals for work when I was first doing WW...probably spending £3-£4 a day on it. Doesn't sound much, but does add up...and when you compare the number of meals you can make yourself for the equivalent price, it doesn't bear thinking about. Made the switch to cooking myself a few months back, and haven't looked back. You get better meals and more variety, for less of the cost.
Best bet is to go to your local library & see if they have any of the WW cookbooks in stock, then knock up a few of the meals in them. Think the best meals I've done as the mousakka in one (can't remember the book, but it has a blueish cover with a pot of creme brule in the corner. lol)...made up four portions for a couple of quid, which was great.
LIDLs or ALDI are also great. I eat Quorn a lot, and they've always got bags of their mince or sausages going for £1.

Soup on poorer days... It's only a quid or so, and it's pretty filling! Was pleasantly shocked at how cheap fruit was when bought from a market stall. A large punned of plums, 5 nectarines, 3 bananas, a punned of strawberries - £2.80! Plus no further temptation of a supermarket!

Lindsay x

Back