On a mission to be a slim bridesmaid..open to pointers! :)

sparkles37

Silver Member
Hi all,

I've decided to start a food diary. My weight has yo-yo'ed a lot over the past few years. I have a tendency to do really well for a while, then eventually go back to comfort eating & end up putting all the weight back on. Have a wedding next year that I'm bridesmaid for so I really want to reach my target (9stone) by then and I'm hoping that starting a food diary might help me stick with it long-term! Just started SW a few weeks ago & I'm doing it online as I cannot make it to meetings. I think I'm getting my head around it now, but if I get anything wrong I'm open to pointers!! :) I've found it really helpful to look through the different threads on minimins! Didn't have a great weight loss this week (1/4lb) despite staying on plan so I'm hoping for a better loss next week.

Today I've had:
Breakfast - 2 oatibix (HEB) & rice milk (HEA)
Lunch - Apple & banana (was driving so it was all I could manage to eat while driving)
Dinner - Fishcakes (made with mashed potato, smoked haddock & a little egg to stick together) fried with frylight & lettuce on the side as superfree
Snacks - 2 alpen lights (6 syns) & 3 mini meringue nests (3 syns) throughout the evening

I typically use less syns on snacks but I wasn't feeling great this evening & had really bad cravings. Was glad I didn't go for something higher in syns though!

I have a party that I have to go to tomorrow & I will be staying away from home too. It will be my first time eating out & going out drinking since I started SW. Will be interesting to see how I manage to control my eating/drinking, and how it affects my weight loss for the week! A 3 course meal has already been paid for but I'm thinking of having soup without the bread for starters & skipping dessert, and going for something like a stir-fry for dinner if there's one on the menu. I'm hoping to stick to vodka & slimline tonic (don't really like it so I'm thinking they'll take longer to drink) or diet coke/7up. I think I'm going to set myself a limit & try to stay within that, and I'm going to compensate by cutting back on syns on Sunday/Monday. Any other suggestions for how not to mess up my weight loss but still enjoy myself are welcome! :)

Hi hun, just wanted to wish you luck!
SW works great when you follow it, i would say don't waste your syns on something you don't like! If you don't like vodka and tonic then stick with diet soft drinks which you do and have your dessert instead!
Life is about the little pleasures, why endure something when you could enjoy something else?!
Also don't have your hexb during the day and then you can have bread with your soup! I find it's all about compromise, what would you rather have?
Have fun and lots of luck, you'll do great :) x

Thanks Emmeline. Which plan are you following?

Thanks a million pixie-gem, I appreciate the pointers. Unfortunately I was in a rush yesterday morning so I had to use up my HEB on cereal. It's a good idea though and I will definitely try to be more organized in the mornings anymore if I am going out to give myself that little bit more flexibility. I tend to avoid bread anyway though as I have a wheat intolerance and very few places do wheat-free versions. As for the drinks, I suppose I don't dislike tonic...I just find it doesn't go down quite as quickly as diet coke/7up, so I usually manage to drink them slower.

I did my best to stick to the plan and I will try to stick to low syns until WI to compensate (I don't go out often lately so I wasnt going to deprive myself..I'll just have to accept the STS/gain if I get one and do better next week).

Yesterday:
Breakfast: 2 oatibix (HEB) and rice milk (HEA)
Snacks: Alpen light (3 syns - forgot I had used my HEB), banana and apple
Dinner: Potato, leek and rocket soup (guessing 1 syn as it seemed watery so I don't think there was any cream); vegetable stir-fry with chicken (guessing 7 syns); spoonful of icecream (guessing 5 syns)
Drinks: 7 vodka and slimline tonic with lime wedge (28 syns)
Chips (10 syns) - really disappointed that I ate chips. I'm thinking I might bring an Alpen light out in my handbag anymore so I have something to nibble on if others are eating after the night out and that might make it easier to resist temptation!

Total: 54 syns (eek...but I hate to think how much syns I would have had in a typical day like this if I wasn't trying to stick to plan!!!)

Today:
Breakfast: Cornflakes (4.5 syns) with skimmed milk (HEA) and a bowl of fresh fruit (was staying in a hotel and managed to resist the fry, croissants, juice, etc.. from the buffet!)
Snack: banana
Dinner: Chicken in marinade (2 syns), mashed potato (no milk/butter) and veg (mushrooms, peas, mashed carrot&parsnip, broccoli)
Evening: Will probably have 2 Alpen lights as my HEB and then snack on fruit if I'm hungry/peckish

Total: 6.5 syns

As I was still away today, I had to use up a certain amount of syns but my aim is to use none tomorrow or Tuesday to make up for Saturday!

I had a bit of a freak out on Friday as I couldn't find anything to wear for the night out. Literally everything in my wardrobe that I tried on was too tight and it really made me feel horrible! I ended up throwing something together but wasn't all that comfortable in it and hated how I looked in the photos! :( Although it made me feel really crap about myself, it's actually really spurred me on to stick to the plan long-term and get this excess weight off once and for all, as I definitely don't want to be looking at photos of me at the wedding and being unhappy with how I look. Normally I would turn to chocolate whenever I get stressed about my weight (counter-productive I know!), so I do feel like I've turned a bit of a corner with my mindset and I feel control of my weight for the first time in ages!!! :)

Last edited:
Had a good day today, which is a good thing given the weekend that I had! I was looking somewhere on this & saw that some people add up the syns & then spread them out over the week. Would it be ok to do this on weeks when you have an event that you're going to have to go over syns for? Because I worked out my syns for this week and despite my 54 syns on Saturday, I'll still be within the weekly allowance by WI if you are allowed to do that. Well, I guess I'll find out the answer to that when I step on the scales Wednesday morning! :) (I know I shouldn't, but I had a sneak peek at the scales today & looks like I've lost a bit...fingers crossed!!)

Today I had:
Breakfast: Grilled rasher medallions, grilled tomatoes & mushrooms & 1 egg fried with frylight
Lunch: Big bowl of home-made leek & potato soup
Dinner: Chilli con carne with mince, kidney beans, mushrooms & broccoli mixed through, with brown rice (I usually count this as free but I make it using Knorr Mealmaker mix so I must try to find out if there are syns in it as it's not in the online thing.)
Snacks: 2 alpen light bars (HEB)
Total: 0 syns (unless there are syns in my mealmaker mix)

I ended up not using my HEA. Dairy doesn't really agree with me so I struggle to use up the HEA if I don't have cereal for breakfast. I wasn't very hungry today either as I had a really busy day, so I would usually have snacked more throughout the day.

Last edited:
Weigh in tomorrow morn. I shouldn't really be expecting a loss as I've had a bad weekend, but overall I've been really good this week so I still have my fingers crossed!! Thanks for checking in! :)

Feeling positive about today...although I woke up with a very crampy stomach which I have a feeling is being caused by the alpen light bars (I have a very sensitive stomach), so I'm going to try and give them up for a while.

Today's food:
Breakfast: 2 oatibix (HEB) with ricemilk (HEA) and a banana
Lunch: Home-made leek and potato soup & a bowl of strawberries
Dinner: Cod coated with smash & baked in the oven, baked SW chips, carrots, turnip & flat mushroom (done in oven); 1 mini meringue (1 syn)
Evening: 1 slice gluten-free toast (2.5 syns) with 1/2 extra-light cheese triangle (1/2 syn) - I'm hungry this eve & would have liked to have eaten more, but my stomach hasn't been well all day so I didn't like to eat anymore before bed.
Total: 4 syns

I just realised my food diary is pretty boring. I tend to eat one/two different breakfasts, and have the same lunch most weekdays. The only thing that changes really is my dinner & snacks!

Have worked out that I only had 89.5/105 weekly syns, so I'm hoping my Saturday blow-out won't affect my weight loss in the morning!

Last edited:
I read on another thread a great idea about sticking up a sheet with the 100 days to Christmas on it and marking off the days that are 100% between now and then. So today I finally got around to printing it out and I shaded in the days so far that I've stuck with it (14/16-not bad). However, while I think it's really going to motivate me to stick to plan between now & Christmas, it's also freaked me out a bit how close it's getting to Christmas! :eek: I am doing a PhD at the moment and I have set myself some (achievable...but probably not going to happen) goals of things I want done by Christmas. So now I'm starting to feel panicky looking up at this little sheet & thinking of all the things I have to squeeze into those days!! :( It's not unusual for me to have days where I feel panicky/anxious like this when I try to focus on what I have to do rather than taking day by day, so my goal for today is for once, NOT to turn to comfort eating to get me through these feelings!! I'm still going to leave up my little sheet as I really like the idea of it being full of green boxes by Christmas, so I'm just going to have to try to deal with my feelings and focus on my daily to-do list rather than my long-term one!!

Yippee, I've lost 2 3/4lbs and reached my first half stone loss!! :) :) Delighted as I've really stuck to plan since I started and have had some small losses. Guess spreading my syns over the week instead of daily didn't affect my loss so I'm going to do this anymore if there's a special event I have to go over syns for. For once, I feel like getting to target is really achievable - only 1lb away from getting to the next stone bracket, then not long to go until another 1/2 stone & so on. It really does help to break it up instead of focusing on the overall weight to be lost!

Just updated my weight loss ticker for the first time since I added it to my signature....so rewarding to see that little lady running further away from the start weight! :)

Last edited:
Food for today (will add to it as I go along):

Breakfast: 3 rasher medallions, 4 small tomatoes, 1 flat mushroom (all grilled) & 1 egg fried with frylight
Lunch: Small bowl homemade leek & potato soup; small salad (ham, lettuce & gherkins)
Snacks: Tiny nibble of my boyfriends pizza (not synning this as it was literally a nibble & I haven't used my HEA today anyway & the ham is free)
2 alpen light bars (HEB)
Dinner: Chicken & vegetable stir-fry (broccoli, carrots, mushrooms & peas) and a spoon of mashed potato; only ate about half as it was really filling, so I might finish it in the eve when I get hungry again
Tea: Had some of my left-over dinner. Reheated vegetables...not really for me! Also had some yummy strawberries.

Was going to have a chocolate bar as a treat, but I ended up having to rush to the loo after eating, so I decided against the chocolate. I had a small bowl of rice krispies (5 syns) & rice milk (HEA) instead as I thought this might settle my stomach. It's been really unwell since starting SW so I really need to figure out what the hell is causing me problems!

Total: 5 syns

I'm going away tomorrow for the day, and then I'm also going away on Friday until Tuesday, so I'm going to have to do out a plan and try to stick to it as best I can. I definitely don't think it will be possible to be as good as I have been this week because it's so much harder to get access to healthy food when on the road and staying in different places, but I'll do my best!

Edit: Cooking egg & bacon muffins from the SW website at the moment. Hoping they come out nice & might be a handy breakfast on days when I'm going away & don't have time to make a 'fry-up', but want to save my healthy extras!

Last edited:
sparkles37 said:
Food for today (will add to it as I go along):

Breakfast: 3 rasher medallions, 4 small tomatoes, 1 flat mushroom (all grilled) & 1 egg fried with frylight
Lunch: Small bowl homemade leek & potato soup; small salad (ham, lettuce & gherkins)
Snacks: Tiny nibble of my boyfriends pizza (not synning this as it was literally a nibble & I haven't used my HEA today anyway & the ham is free)
2 alpen light bars (HEB)
Dinner: Chicken & vegetable stir-fry (broccoli, carrots, mushrooms & peas) and a spoon of mashed potato; only ate about half as it was really filling, so I might finish it in the eve when I get hungry again

I'm going away tomorrow for the day, and then I'm also going away on Friday until Tuesday, so I'm going to have to do out a plan and try to stick to it as best I can. I definitely don't think it will be possible to be as good as I have been this week because it's so much harder to get access to healthy food when on the road and staying in different places, but I'll do my best!

Congratulations!!!!!!!! Well done you! Good luck this weekend! I am in the same boat... Being away may be a bit difficult as one tends to eat lots of pizza, and other ready made food which are full with syns :( I'll write a sort if menu that is easy to find everywhere: salads, fruit and hope for the best!!! Good luck and enjoy

Thanks! :) I'm so happy all day, I feel like going around telling everyone. You'd swear I'd gotten to target! It's just that if I have a couple of small weight losses, I usually get fed up & pack it in, and was debating switching back to WW after the first couple of weeks, so I'm delighted now to have stuck with it. I see you have Wednesday WI too & had a great loss. Congrats!!! :) Doesn't it feel rewarding?

I'm just after doing up my meal plan for the week up until I get back next Wednesday. It's not totally realistic that I will stick to it but at least if I have a plan I'll be more likely to manage better. I'm going to bring some WW microwaveable meals & lots of fruit. Last weekend, as I was going away for a dinner & night out, I just enjoyed myself & spread my syns across the week and it balanced out, so that could be an option too if you find yourself unable to stick within your syns? Hope we both manage to find good low-syn foods while away from home! Good luck! :)

I was away today so I didn't have a typical day.

Breakfast: SW ham & mushroom egg muffins
Snack: Tea with 1 alpen light (1/2 HEB)
Lunch: Sandwich with 1 slice wholemeal bread (1/2 HEB), turkey, ham and lettuce
Snack: 1 mini meringue (1 syn); 7up free
Snacks: I might have a packet of baked wakers crisps in a while (5 syns)
Total: 6 syns

I didn't eat much while I was away as I was really busy and didn't have time. I intended to eat something proper when I got home, but I'm now feeling really unwell. My stomach hasn't been well since I started SW! :(

STILL feeling unwell today. This SW plan is really not doing my stomach any favours. I would have thought cutting out junk and eating more healthy would have made me feel great...not the total opposite! :( But anyway, I'm going to stick with it until I figure out why I am feeling so crappy.

Breakfast: 2 oatibix (HEB) and ricemilk (HEA)
Snacks: Banana, apple, 4 mini meringues throughout the eve (4 syns), bag of salt & vinegar tayto crisps for lunch (9 syns)
Dinner: WW frozen ready meal-lasagne (5 1/2 syns)
Total: 18 1/2 syns (over my 15, but using yesterday's syns)

Today was the first of 5 days away from home and I'm still not feeling well, so not a typical day of eating. Wasn't hungry but was craving salt and sugar. Hopefully tomorrow will go better!

Last edited:
Back