One meal a day?

sam86

Hello everyone.

i will just introduce myself before i do your head in....

I am 19st and would like to lose a lot of weight and very fast. :eek:

i tried lipotrim for about a week but it wasnt for me so i gave up:break_diet:

Now i am currently trying calorie counting, yep it does work but i just can't keep at it. :mad:

I know motivation has alot to do with it and have very small amount of it.

I have read up on having one meal a day and nothing else.

Has anyone tried this and lost weight?

any kind of reply would be appreciated

Please help... i am extremely struggling and its becoming very hard to cope now.

Bye

I've never heard of one meal a day, but I realy don't think it's a good idea, no matter what your body needs a certain amount of energy throughout the day to function. I know you said Lipotrim didn't suit you, but why not try Cambridge, Lighter Life or Exante. There's a lot more flavour choices in the shakes and bars and they work fast!!

These very low calorie diets contain every vitamina and mineral the body needs to function, while still allowing you to lose weight. They contain enough protein to prevent significant muscle loss and Cambridge and Lighter Life are controlled...you see a counsellor and address your issues that got you to the point where you need to diet.

I've done CD and lost 67lbs - have 14lbs to go and would recommend it to anyone. It is a tough diet, but the fast losses mean that you keep motivated... and besides, no diet is easy, its the attitude you approach it with that determines whether you'll succeed or not.

This is maybe not what you wanted to hear, but I think one meal a day is a crazy idea, good luck with whatever you decide xx

I think if you have struggled with meal replacement and calorie counting, you will struggle even more on one meal a day. You're blood sugar levels will be seriously low for the remainder of the day and you will have nothing to get your metabolism going. It will probably lead to cravings and ultimately make you feel desperate to eat and you might end up overeating that way.

I completely understand how you feel, my weight has skyrocketed (mostly due to all these silly diets) and I feel really low and desperate to get some weight off too. Its a terrible feeling.

I know that calorie counting can be very complicated and time-consuming, I can see how you might be struggling with that.

A few suggestions:

Could you try Cambridge diet - using the option where you have one meal per day plus meal replacement snacks, soups and bars. That way you would be losing the weight rapidly whilst also getting all of your nutrition needs and a meal to look forward to.

Or, could you try points counting - something like weight-watchers is a lot simpler than calorie counting.

Or, I've recently tried Diet Chef - They do all the calorie counting for you and send you three meals a day, plus a snack and you add your own fruit and veg. Its all done so you dont have to think about it much.

Hope this helps.

You could just for something like Slimming World or Weight Watchers where you can 'normal' foods with your friends and family. CHeck out the very active forums here to find out what it is all about.

I can only speak for SW which really changed my life! I love my food and on SW if anything I eat more than I did before, but it's good quality food instead of crap. I can honestly say I never went hungry! Added to that I lost just over 7 stone in 11 months to get to target and have stayed there for the past 9 years. It truly is a plan for life.

I know motivation has alot to do with it and have very small amount of it.

Ahh, if you lack motivation, you need to examine why you want to lose weight, because if that isn't strong enough, if you don't have something really concrete that you want, then it's going to be hard.

I have read up on having one meal a day and nothing else.

Yes, I've done this a few times in the past and before I found the diet that was right for me. For a while I found it easier.

Whether you lose weight or not will depend on how many calories you have in that one meal.

Whether you stick to it or not, will depend on how hard or easy you find it ;) It's usually the first few days that are the hardest, as with every diet.

What other diets have you tried?

I agree with all that's been said above.

One meal a day is crazy and won't work - you'll be ravenous, you'll end up bingeing, you'll make yourself ill and you probably won't even lose weight as your body will panic and think there's a food shortage so your metabolism will grind to a halt.

It's no good saying "i haven't the motivation". There is no miracle weight loss tip any of us can give you. There is no secret that you don't yet know. There is no one diet that will have you losing 9 stone in a month. You have to WANT to lose weight, really want it, else you'll just come up with excuse after excuse for why you can't stick to any diet/why you don't lose weight and you end up on that awful downward spiral of feeling upset because you're fat and so comforting yourself with more food.

Please don't think any of us are being harsh with you, we speak from experience. We've BEEN where you are now. I was about 19 stone + for years and wanted to lose weight but lacked the motivation. It wasn't until I was completely and utterly fed up of feeling unhealthy, feeling down, not being able to wear nice clothes, sweating too much, getting sick of people's comments etc. that I realised that I had to do something.

It takes hard work, effort and discipline but when the results start to show then it really spurs you on. You need to really be brutally honest with yourself. Forget the faddy diets and ask yourself if you are truly happy to remain as you are for the next however many years. If not, then you will have to acknowledge that your old life is gone and that you will have to change not only what you eat but how you think too.

I agree with all that's been said above.

One meal a day is crazy and won't work - you'll be ravenous, you'll end up bingeing, you'll make yourself ill and you probably won't even lose weight as your body will panic and think there's a food shortage so your metabolism will grind to a halt.

It's no good saying "i haven't the motivation". There is no miracle weight loss tip any of us can give you. There is no secret that you don't yet know. There is no one diet that will have you losing 9 stone in a month. You have to WANT to lose weight, really want it, else you'll just come up with excuse after excuse for why you can't stick to any diet/why you don't lose weight and you end up on that awful downward spiral of feeling upset because you're fat and so comforting yourself with more food.

Please don't think any of us are being harsh with you, we speak from experience. We've BEEN where you are now. I was about 19 stone + for years and wanted to lose weight but lacked the motivation. It wasn't until I was completely and utterly fed up of feeling unhealthy, feeling down, not being able to wear nice clothes, sweating too much, getting sick of people's comments etc. that I realised that I had to do something.

It takes hard work, effort and discipline but when the results start to show then it really spurs you on. You need to really be brutally honest with yourself. Forget the faddy diets and ask yourself if you are truly happy to remain as you are for the next however many years. If not, then you will have to acknowledge that your old life is gone and that you will have to change not only what you eat but how you think too.

^^ What she said!

Great post, Lucky Cat.

The reason most of us are where we are is because we've tried every 'miracle' diet tip going. They don't work. End of.

If you can't find the motivation, then you're not ready for the journey.

Little and often all the way I say! keep you full up, keeps your metabolism up, stops you craving foods, cause if your like me and say you will only have 1 meal a day, you end up thinking about nothing else but food and give in very quickly!! why dont you just set yourself a calorie limit say 500 below your BMR and it will work. Good luck :)

I'm a recovered Anorexic and, Yes, one meal a day WILL work. Until you hit starvation mode, then you will have to half your one meal a day to continue to lose, then, eventually, you will have to fast. Your body will begin to eat Muscle rather than fat and you will feel AWFUL!!

These extreme diets are really not a good idea, you will either pile the weight back on once you go back to "normal" or just not manage to lose weight in the first place.

Have you looked at Weight watchers? It's been a life saver for me recently, its really easy because you actually can eat anything you like. I hope you find a way that works for :)

I'm a recovered Anorexic and, Yes, one meal a day WILL work. Until you hit starvation mode, then you will have to half your one meal a day to continue to lose, then, eventually, you will have to fast. Your body will begin to eat Muscle rather than fat and you will feel AWFUL!!

Not necessarily. It would depend on how many calories were eaten in that one meal.

I know people who do this very successfully (not advocating it or anything though). They are known as IFers (intermittent fasters) and believe that they get many health benefits from eating in just a small window of time.

They either lose weight, maintain weight, or gain weight depending on the calories taken in that 'window'.

Try weight watchers or a similar plan. Can basically eat what you want but just in moderation and portion control! :)

all i can say i couldn't do one meal a day!! weight loss isn't easy and there's no easy shortcut. you have to fight and it is a battle as most people will tell you. you have to find what suits you best. have you tried a normal eat everything diet and combine that with exercise?

find out how many calories you need a day from one of the basal metabolic rate calculators online and then aim for 500 less a day to lose a pound a week. then add exercise in whatever form you can do but eat enough to cover the exercise used. i know it sounds daft to eat more but it really does work and the slower you do it the more long term it will be i reckon.

exercise has so much going for it though so try and combine the calorie counting and exercise to a deficit of 500 to start with. oh and if you in with your doctor soon run it by them too:)

I have one physical meal per day, but I do have 2 shakes though (and multivit and omega supplements). I don't think 1 meal alone will have any positive effects, as I think your body will go into starvation mode, may retain more fat, and you may become deficient in essential nutrients. Try and do a bit of research, there's lots of info on here about various diets, and peoples expereinces, and also have a good Google too xx

It's hard to tell what's the best diet for you. It's mainly trial and error. I know I couldn't do one meal a day, as I'd be miserable on that. Some people have 7 meals a day (small ones) and finds it keeps their blood sugar stabilised and their cravings at bay. They pre-plan the meals so the meals have adequate levels of protein, carbs, fibre, fat etc. It really is down to personal preference though.

as I think your body will go into starvation mode, may retain more fat, and you may become deficient in essential nutrients.

Nah. Starvation mode doesn't happen due to how many times a person eats a day. Nor does it mean they will become deficient in essential nutrients.

It will depend on what is being eaten in that one meal.

Starvation mode is so misunderstood. Certainly doesn't happen in just one day.

Oh well my GP is wrong, it wouldn't be the 1st time

Hi Sam,

I really wish you the best in your endeavour to lose weight fast but there is a flaw that may mean its fairly impossible to do.

You said that you need to 'lose weight fast'. I think this is impossible for the very reason that you most probably did not put on weight fast.

I think weight gain happens gradually with nearly most of us, and certainly with me.

When times get tough and I cant see a change in my efforts I always remind myself that I got larger and larger over the course of years, slowly and subtly until one day I looked at myself and hated what I saw.
I always tell myself that the slimming process takes time and only weight myself once per week so I can see a change over time - and it works.

I hope that helps and I sincerely hope you get to where you need to be both physically and in your mindset in losing weight.

Jen
x

Oh well my GP is wrong, it wouldn't be the 1st time
Yeah, fraid your dr is wrong in this case...:sigh:

I wonder what Sam decided to do. It was 4 weeks ago that the thread was started.

If you are around Sam, let us know what you decided on :)

Back