One SW day at a time

Thank you - it was a rather good day foodwise! Today looks like it will be much less pretty. The chicken was from my beautiful new recipe book called A Change Of Appetite by Diane Henry. I am IN LOVE with this book, seriously, I want to cook everything in there. I did a couple of little tweaks to get the syn value down so here we go:

Japanese ginger and garlic chicken with smashed cucumber - Japanese Ginger and Garlic Chicken With Smashed Cucumber From 'A Change of Appetite' | Serious Eats : Recipes

So the syns and tweaks are as follows:

3 tbsps sake (3)
3 tbsps brown sugar (9) - Aw Hell no! So, I used 2 tbsps of Agave Nectar instead which works out at (4)
1/2 tbsp miso (1) - A tbsp is 1.5 so strictly it's 0.75 syns but meh to that.

Grand total of 8 syns per recipe - 2 syns per person (based on everyone having 2 x thighs) if you use my Agave nectar tweak.
If you use the sugar then you're looking at 13 syns per recipe - 3.5 syns per person - which isn't too shabby either.

A note - I only used 40g ginger in the marinade as that was all I had and it was a large root - I think that was enough to be honest. Also, it's definitely worth looking at buying a jar of minced garlic and using that (Watch out for the oil content in these though, some are free and some have 0.5 syns per tsp) as mincing garlic is a massive PITA.

Another note - I couldn't find pickled ginger on the syn directory - but as I only used a few slices and they are wafer thin I take them as free.

It looks complicated and faffy, but it really wasn't. The cucumber is weird on its own but very nice with the chicken and your mouth sort of gets used to it. I'd refrigerate it for longer next time as well.

Thank you - it was a rather good day foodwise! Today looks like it will be much less pretty. The chicken was from my beautiful new recipe book called A Change Of Appetite by Diane Henry. I am IN LOVE with this book, seriously, I want to cook everything in there. I did a couple of little tweaks to get the syn value down so here we go:

Japanese ginger and garlic chicken with smashed cucumber - Japanese Ginger and Garlic Chicken With Smashed Cucumber From 'A Change of Appetite' | Serious Eats : Recipes

So the syns and tweaks are as follows:

3 tbsps sake (3)
3 tbsps brown sugar (9) - Aw Hell no! So, I used 2 tbsps of Agave Nectar instead which works out at (4)
1/2 tbsp miso (1) - A tbsp is 1.5 so strictly it's 0.75 syns but meh to that.

Grand total of 8 syns per recipe - 2 syns per person (based on everyone having 2 x thighs) if you use my Agave nectar tweak.
If you use the sugar then you're looking at 13 syns per recipe - 3.5 syns per person - which isn't too shabby either.

A note - I only used 40g ginger in the marinade as that was all I had and it was a large root - I think that was enough to be honest. Also, it's definitely worth looking at buying a jar of minced garlic and using that (Watch out for the oil content in these though, some are free and some have 0.5 syns per tsp) as mincing garlic is a massive PITA.

Another note - I couldn't find pickled ginger on the syn directory - but as I only used a few slices and they are wafer thin I take them as free.

It looks complicated and faffy, but it really wasn't. The cucumber is weird on its own but very nice with the chicken and your mouth sort of gets used to it. I'd refrigerate it for longer next time as well.

Thanks hon! I'm definitely going to try that next week!

Friday - WI day.

Boo - gained a pound. Whoops! Never mind, head is back in the game now.

Onto the food

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - Beans and ham, half grapefruit, coffee with almond milk (A)

15020179280_8bc6f3b572_o.jpg

Lunch - Japanese chicken (2), Brown rice (1), green salad.

15020260127_f6b7f5a7dd_o.jpg

Dinner - er, a bit of a shameful Itsu Chicken Jaipur thing (1) - I WAS PACKING OK?! I'm not totally addicted to Itsu stuff. I'm not.

Snacks - After dinner mint muller. Melon.

Total syns - 4

Last edited:
Tuesday :badmood:

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - baked beans, ham and 2 x boiled eggs. Coffee with almond milk (half A)

Lunch - Out so, diet coke, butternut squash and sweet potato soup - it was dairy free so no cream, I only ate half so I'm going to call it 2 for the possible oil, I had a bread roll which I'm going to tweak as a B and a smear of butter - another 2.

Dinner - Smoky black bean and roasted tomato soup with sweetcorn salsa (2)

15250369372_c76b1df7e5_o.jpg

Snacks - 5 x crackerbread (6) with mixed pickle (2). Yeah, I know, weird.

Total syns - 14

On the agenda - Work, home, bed.

Attachments

• 15250369372_c76b1df7e5_o.jpg
    15250369372_c76b1df7e5_o.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Wednesday - Hooray!

Yesterday was alright. Worked hard, got lots of old annoying bits and bobs cleared from my desk which is always good. Trundled home, cooked tea, went to bed.

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - Toffee and banana porridge (B). Coffee with almond milk (A)

15255784605_3a67988ee4_o.jpg

Lunch - Black bean soup.

Dinner - Cajun chicken, roasted squash, carrot, pepper and onion couscous (1)

15078685027_da018f1c8b_o.jpg

That's a terrible photo! Nice dinner though!

Snacks - Glass of red wine (8)

Total syns - 9

Last edited:
Thursday

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - 1 x boiled egg. Coffee with almond milk (Half A)

Lunch - Cajun chicken and roasted vegetable cous cous (1)

Dinner - Smoked haddock, new potatoes and spinach. Depressing as all Hell. :rolleyes:

15270885932_0295701732_o.jpg

HAHA! Look at it! Just LOOK AT IT.

Snacks - Mint muller. Itsu chicken jaipur (1)

Total syns - 2

Whoops only half an A and No B at all. Hmmmm.

On The Agenda - Get through the day, get through the meal out, Get to bed.

Last edited:
Your haddock tea cracked me up!!

Hope you've had a good weekend hun. Did you go for the goats cheese salad or end up with beautiful steak at Cote?! Xx

God that tea was miserable.:D It's been hectic, we didn't end up at Cote in the end went to a local Mediterranean place instead (which is lovely) and I had the chicken souvlaki which came with cracked wheat and a salad. I polished my halo that night I can tell you!

100% day yesterday

Extra Easy

Breakfast - "Pimped" baked beans - snap pot of baked beans, 2 x boiled eggs, splash of hot sauce (0.5), sprinkling of feta cheese (half A), Coffee with almond milk (half A)

Lunch - Chicken tikka salad

15323650962_2c4c8b5b36_o.jpg

Dinner - LM red onion sausages, cabbage, peas, jacket potato (they were teeny so I had one and a half!) with laughing cow light (3)

15137544657_f438e099ed_o.jpg

Snacks - Apple

Total syns - 3.5

Last edited:
Wednesday - hurtling towards the weekend

100%er yesterday, I'm so proud!

Extra Easy

Breakfast - 2 x Weetabix (B) with almond milk (A) and strawberries

15310816776_87836a2766_o.jpg

Lunch - Chicken piri-piri salad.

15332465471_b784e56f3d_o.jpg

Dinner - Roasted whole sea bream with potatoes, fennel and courgettes. (6 for oil, 2 for white wine)

15147459737_1817f285b0_o.jpg

Snacks - Itsu chicken jaipur (1), banana, turkish delight yoghurt. I was hungry yesterday!

Total syns - 9

Last edited:
Thursday

What a beautiful morning, the sun is shining and everything is lovely.

Had another 100% day yesterday - GET IN! Can feel my head getting back in the game which is fab. Work was a bit odd yesterday but it seems to have blown over today.

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - LM sausages, baked beans, splash of hot sauce (0.5), Sprinkle of feta (Half A). Coffee with almond milk (A)

15162098019_7211405d05_o.jpg

Lunch - Tuna and cottage cheese salad

Dinner - Vegetable curry, brown rice, WM pitta (B - Tweak), mixed pickle (3)

15343193495_66069c32ae_o.jpg

Pudding - Warm cherries with 0% greek yog, agave nectar (2)

Snacks - Ew cut open a pomegranate to have as a snack and a maggot crawled out! Bleeeeee. Pineapple instead! Mint Muller

Total syns - 5 - Bang on.

Last edited:
Fer-Fer-Fer-Fer-FRIDAY! Hoorah!

WI day - 1lb off. I'll take that considering the naughty weekend I had. :D

Yesterday - Green Day

Breakfast - Scrambled eggs on toast (B). HP sauce (1). Coffee with coconut milk (1.5)

15345845261_916d94786a_o.jpg

Lunch - Vegetable curry with brown rice. Mixed Pickle (4)

15163266840_aa28b0a4e5_o.jpg

Dinner - Jamie Oliver's Veggie Chilli (0.5), Cheese (A), WM Pitta (B - TWEAK), Roasted squash. YUMMO!

15167368317_cb96ff484e_o.jpg

Snacks - Pineapple, Turkish delight Muller.

Total Syns - 7

Last edited:
Well done to your on plan week! I have done just as well myself - how unusual of us! We are always dropping the ball where SW is concerned - GO US!

Food is looking lovely as ever.

Happy Anniversary to you and Lee and have a lovely weekend xx

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend and you were very tame on the food front - well done! x

Back