One SW day at a time

I'm old enough to know better though - What with the laska thing earlier this week, I'll be getting a reputation round these parts. :D

OK, so the tomato and fennel soup is pinched from an old diary that I re-read on a fairly regular basis (even though she no longer posts) as it has some of the most fantastic recipes on there. http://www.minimins.com/silver-members-diary/123971-honeyocs-photographic-gastronomy.html It's totally worth a good look through if you haven't done already - so inspiring.

Tomato and Fennel Soup
Serves 4 (2 syns or 1/4 B + 0.5 syns per serve)

My Note - I left out the olive oil and just used a spray oil and it was fine - this drops this down to 0.5 syns per serving - if you left out the sugar and used splenda instead it would be free.

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp olive oil (6 syns/HEB)
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 medium carrot
1 celery stalk
1 kg fresh tomatoes (preferably on the vine for better flavour)
500ml chicken stock
1 large fennel
Handful of fresh basil
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 stalks fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
1 tsp sugar (2 syns)
1 tbsp white wine vinegar

METHOD
Chop the garlic, onions, carrots and celery finely and roughly chop the tomatoes into chunky cubes

Heat the olive oil in a heavy based pan and sweat off the onions, garlic, carrots, fennel and celery

Add the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes, season with salt and pepper and add in the thyme and bay leaf

Add the chopped tomatoes, cook for 5 minutes then add the chicken stock. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes until all the vegetables are softened and fragrant

Add the sugar, fresh chopped basil and vinegar. Cook for a further 5 minutes. Fish out the bay leaf and thyme stalks then blend the soup with a hand blender. Check the seasoning and add more water if the soup is too thick.

It's a nice soup - surprisingly filling.

Saturday

Hangover. Holy moly.

Yesterday - Extra Alcohol

Breakfast - Masala omelette, HP sauce (1), coffee with almond milk (half A)

image-4230825872.jpg

Lunch - Parmesan crusted salmon (I counted the hexes for this yesterday so...I know we're not meant to do that but..IDGAF), green bean and asparagus salad

image-973332383.jpg

Dinner - Edamame beans, prawn cracker, prawn dumpling, couple of crispy battered squid, peppered beef fillet, steamed rice, 2 x vodka cocktails, shared 2 x bottles white wine, then shared another cocktail had ANOTHER glass of wine, got home and..er..vino collapso happened I think.

Snacks - None

Total syns - Unknowable

On The Agenda - stewing in my own alcoholic juice punctuated by violent vomiting, regret and shame.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the recipe! Looks lush.

Hope the hangover from hell is all but a distant memory now!

Tuesday - BLAST!

So my attempt at stopping this cold in its tracks by eating lots of superfree failed as I've woken up with a very sexy throaty voice and a headache. Lovely! :(. I did get a great nights sleep though, thanks to a dose of night nurse - strongest of all the cold mixtures.

So yesterday was OK - everyone at work had horrible hangovers so I spent much of the morning giving tea and sympathy (and nurofen). Headed home and cooked some tea and some soup for the week, had my roots touched up, took my medicine and conked out completely until the alarm went off this morning!

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - Beans on toast (B), coffee with almond milk (2)

Lunch - Chicken tikka salad

Dinner - Butterbean and pepper stew, roasted acorn squash, cheese (A), then a random bunch of spaghetti left over from the boys' dinner, 1 x slice garlic bread (5)

Snacks - Red apple, Night nurse (3) - haha at it being a snack.

Total syns - 10

Last edited:
Wednesday - :sick:

Blimey Moses do I feel rough. I'm a bit worried about my chest as I'm hacking up some pretty disgusting stuff (ENJOY YOUR BREAKFASTS EVERYBODY!) but I've got a course of antibiotics "in reserve" that I can start taking if I need to. Bloody stupid asthma nonsense.

Nothing day yesterday as poorly ill. Came home from work and just cooked some rubbish dinner and ate some stuff I shouldn't have. Being ill makes me flee towards bread and cake - I'm not sure whether it's physical or psychological ;)

Yesterday - Extra Bready

Breakfast - Bacon and pepper omelette. HP sauce (1), green tea. Coffee tasted weird and super bitter.

Lunch - Home made roasted tomato and red lentil soup. Ham and LC light (1/4 A) toasted sandwich (B).

Dinner - Buffalo chicken thighs, cajun potato wedges (2 for oil), roasted carrots and gem squash.

Snacks - Pineapple and 2% total (0.5), Lemon drizzle bar x 2 (6) :eek:, 2 x M&S Posh roll (10), 1 x cherry bakewell thing, not sure of syns so about 10? Nightnurse (3)

Total Syns - 32.5 - Whoops.

Last edited:
Hi Sally! Not bored at all. Food looks lovely, so will be stealing some recipes for sure. On the topic of recipes, any suggestions for a slow cooker stew that involves chick peas? I thinking Moroccan may be the way forward

Heh, you're too kind. Thanks for dropping by.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/slow_cooker_chickpea_12414

I have this one saved in my favourites on the BBC food website but I've never tried it TBH. Syn wise I would drop the oil down to 1tbsp (6) and the honey comes out at (2) - I'm a bit weird about hot fruit so I'd leave them out but 25g dried apricots are about 2.5 syns, I would also use a tbsp of harrisa pasta for an additional 1.5 Syns per recipe. I would totally up the spices as well, I can't see a teaspoon of cumin and ginger packing much of a punch but I have murdered my tastebuds with chilli abuse. ;)

So the whole thing comes in at 12 syns, serves 4 so 3 syns per portion. You could forget the oil altogether and just dry roast the garlic and spices in spray oil which would make the whole thing 6 syns and therefore 1.5 per serving.

I love Moroccan flavours and have cooked vegetarian tagines before making them completely free by foregoing the harrissa paste and using lots of smoked paprika, cumin, coriander and a cinnamon stick. I usually make a stew of the veggies, sweating them off first, then adding the garlic, fresh ginger, spices and then a tin of tomatoes, tomato purée and some vegetable stock, then the chickpeas and then into the slow cooker. Cous-cous is always made here with some chopped up tomatoes, red onion and cucumber with a squeeze of lemon and lots of fresh coriander. God I'm hungry now.

Hi , just been browsing your diary:)
your food looks amazing!
presented really well and like what you'd get in a restaurant...i'm impressed :)
if my food looked that good i wouldn't feel like i was on a diet :)
i need to get more inventive!

Well done!

ooo yummy. Lots of ideas now! Thank you. It gives me an excuse to buy lots of squash and other yummy root veg. Got salmon just about ready to go into the oven for tonight.

You're welcome - squash are in season now and it really is a great time to try some different varieties. I hope your salmon was nice. :)

Hi , just been browsing your diary:)
your food looks amazing!
presented really well and like what you'd get in a restaurant...i'm impressed :)
if my food looked that good i wouldn't feel like i was on a diet :)
i need to get more inventive!

Well done!

:thankyou: - you're making me blush. I do love cooking and I get pleasure from pretty food - a lot of the time though I just dump it on a plate and inhale. Thanks for stopping by, I'll come and say hello and have a nose through your diary now.

Thursday - and after those lovely compliments I can feel my head swelling ;)

Starting to feel a bit better this morning. Night nurse is a WONDERDRUG. I think taking it completely easy last night helped as well.
I managed to keep my syns very low yesterday - apart from the stupid night nurse. :mad: I am well over for the week though with a weekly total of 147/105 (9 of those are night nurse ones but even so) so I'm not expecting a loss this week and hoping for a STS. I need a syn free day today to not make the damage any worse! .

Onto the food.

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - Greek yoghurt with figs and pomegranate. Coffee with almond milk (1/2 A)

Lunch - Home made roasted tomato and lentil soup. Buffalo chicken thighs chucked in which made it overflow a bit! Not so pretty now eh?! ;)

Dinner - Beef stew with red wine (1), mashed potato (1/2 A for LC Light), sprouts and green beans. Nom.

Snacks - Red apple, mint muller, night nurse (3)

Total syns - 4

Last edited:
Salmon was lovely, thank you! Today dinner is going to be a quick and easy one for after weigh in. Just mixing cottage cheese and an egg to throw on top of the pasta bake from the other day. But I'm planning to do a stew in the slow cooker on Friday. I'm off work today, so will go for a walk to the greengrocer, rather than relying on Tesco I think!

You're pretty reliant on online ordering aren't you? I can never got on with that really (apart from my Abel & Cole veggies which are brilliant) as I do like to make sure my vegetables are nice and fresh so a greengrocer trip sounds like a good plan to me! Good luck with weigh in!

OMIGOSH IT'S FRIDAY! :bliss:

Oh joy! It's my last day at work for a whole week. DOUBLE JOY! So I'd better get my head down and get on with it.

Yesterday - Extra Easy

Breakfast - Smoked tofu and mushroom omelette with balsamic tomatoes.

Lunch - Leftover beef stew (1), sprouts, green beans and a microwave packet of green veggies.

Dinner - Sweet sticky chicken with sesame seeds (B + 2) with noodles and stir fried veggies. 1 x glass red wine (6.5)

Snacks - Mint muller

Total syns - 9.5 - so much for having a syn free day!

Weekly syns - 157/105. Rubbish!

On The Agenda - Total desk clear, home, early night. ROCK N ROLL FRIDAY!

Last edited:
Cor! Golden beetroot are just lovely. I'm just debating doing stuffed squash for tea tonight - want to use what I've got up so that I can order another box 'o squash. :D:gimi:

I have a tupperware with the rest of the squash and still more in the fridge. I was a little over-ambitious as too how much would actually fit in my 1.5l slow cooker! I loved stuffed squash.

Have you ever cooked buckwheat? I'm wondering whether to put a stock cube in whilst boiling it.

Oh, if you haven't cut into the squash then store them out of the fridge in a dark place - they keep for ages! I haven't ever cooked buckwheat, apart from soba noodles, is it like bulgar wheat or wheatberries? It can't hurt to cook them in stock but if they've still got their husk I'm not sure it would penetrate much. Has it got a nutty flavour, like brown rice?

Back