Onion Bhajis?

time2bslim

Just doing it this time
Anyone heard of - or are you all making the onion bhajis from the chickpea dahl and cooked onions dolloped onto a baking sheet and cooked in the oven? IS this how to make them?

I personally make mine by frying off some onions and mixing it with either smash or proper mash and add lots of salt, pepper, paprika and curry powder. Then i roll out little balls, flatten them out and put them in the oven on a high heat for about 30 minutes x

Just remembered that had e-mailed it to my friend so got it from there - luckily I never clear out my e-mails!!!

Onion Bhajis.

Bhajis
Fry light
2 onions, sliced in to half moons
...170g potato cooked and mashed
227g can chick peas, mashed ( i use food processor)
1 egg beaten
1/2 tsp baking powder
2tsp bombay spice mix
1tsp dried herbs
salt and pepper

Spray non stick frying pan with fry light and gently fry the onions until tender.
Mix mash potato, chickpea mash together and add onions and all other ingredients, mix well
form in to small balls, place on tray that has been sprayed with fry light and bake in pre heated oven at 220c or 425f Gas 7 for 30 mins until golden

Yep,I've made those from the curry feast book and they are great. Well worth the syns and taste pretty authentic too.

Jaylou, I think they taste better than the greasy curry house ones... although i never manage to make them as small as they say so just double up the syns...

Here's another onion bhajii recipe that uses polenta rather than chickpeas / potatos:

1 1/2 cups (8oz) coarse ground cornmeal/polenta free on a green day ONLY
2 large Eggs beaten
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2-3 small pots plain yoghurt
5 good squirts of Fry Light
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tsp onion granules
½ tsp chilli powder or more to taste
1 large onion diced or shredded
1 tablespoon coriander chopped
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala

Combine cornmeal, soda, salt and spices. Combine remaining wet ingredients;
add to dry ingredients, mixing well. The mixture should be quite thick.
Add in the onion and the coriander and mix well.
Heat greased muffin pans in a 400 degree oven for 3 minutes or until very hot.
Spoon batter into hot muffin pans, filling 3/4 full.
Bake at 400 for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and starting to come away from the edges of the tin.
Once they are cooked, take them out of the pan and turn upside down.
Bake again for about 10 minutes on high to dry the bases out. Cornmeal can go quite

sticky because of the juices from the onions.

Back