Operation....

jenibob27

I will be going into hospital to have a operation (not sure when,prob within the next 12weeks or so) Do i have to stop CD? Not spoken to my CDC yet but will let her know,just wondered if anyone else had a op when they were on it and were told to stop

x

You have less then 2 stone to lose so i doubt you would be on sole source in 12 weeks time, i'm sure you would be adding meals at that stage so should be ok, but best to ask your CD consultant, and also the medical team performing the operation as they will tell you any preperation you need to do before hand.

Last edited:
HI , I had my gallbladder out last week so am pretty up to date on the info for this :) you need to come off SS at least 2 weeks beofre your op and do 1200 plan . Then following your op officially you should do no plan ( eat normally ) for 12 weeks and if you officially tell your CDC they are not supposed to sell you any products till 12 weeks after and a dr's note to say you are fit ..... this is their rules for all ops from keyhole surgery to open heart surery but what they do .
I spoke to my CDC as I did not want to have 12 weeks off CD after my op , and I decided not to 'offically ' tell her , I said I was having a break for a while and will start back on it after about 4 weeks after my op . I will wait till all my scars are healed and I feel back to normal as TFR can slow down healing and not worth the risk , but I know I do not need 3 months off !!!
hope this helps :)

Hey determinator

You may have made this decision for yourself but I would strongly advise against advocating that approach to others. From a clinical perspective any surgery that involves an "open" approach requires a 3 month recovery to allow the underlying muscle layers to heal fully. This is just the time it takes and it can't be "sped up". Also depending what else was done in the surgery (work on internal organs) time is also needed. The "12 week" figure was not arbitrarly picked out of thin air; it's there for a reason.

Always always ask the surgeon for advice at the post op check (usually 4-6 weeks later). Be honest about how important weight loss is to you but be guided by his/her advice.

Gg

yes , sorry I didnt in any way mean to advocate making the decision to 'lie' about it . I should have added that you should follow CD advise and not take these decisions yourself .. however the OP doesnt state what op they are having and I was just pointing out that CD states 12 weeks break whether its an ingrowing toenail removal or open brain surgery !! My CDC and myself felt that I do not need 12 weeks break for keyhole removal of gallbladder , although i will wait till I am totally fit and well before I start again

You have less then 2 stone to lose so i doubt you would be on sole source in 12 weeks time, i'm sure you would be adding meals at that stage so should be ok, but best to ask your CD consultant, and also the medical team performing the operation as they will tell you any preperation you need to do before hand.

Hopefully wont take that long to lose what i need to,it was more a question just incase i get seen sooner (but nhs so doubt it) didnt make that clear at all :rolleyes:

yes , sorry I didnt in any way mean to advocate making the decision to 'lie' about it . I should have added that you should follow CD advise and not take these decisions yourself .. however the OP doesnt state what op they are having and I was just pointing out that CD states 12 weeks break whether its an ingrowing toenail removal or open brain surgery !! My CDC and myself felt that I do not need 12 weeks break for keyhole removal of gallbladder , although i will wait till I am totally fit and well before I start again

Sorry, i will be having keyhole surgery to remove duplex kidney and ureter .I wouldnt have thought id need 12weeks either,but suppose its there for a reason. I wont get away with fibs anyway cause my CDC is my mums best mate LOL.
Thank you for your reply :)

Back