OT - Food intolerances

LASHES30

Good morning everyone.

Just wanted to share a very interesting test I had done yesterday. It was to check if I was intolerant to any types of food. I regularly suffer from bloating, cramps etc and it turns out my body HATES it when I eat...
Tomatoes, peppers, potatoes and black pepper. apparently cant digest them properly. .

Well I have to say I was amazed, I would literally have eaten these foods at every lunch and dinner time. So if i cut these out I should feel far better.

I'll let you know how I get on, might even speed up my weight loss a little.

lisa x

Wow thats really interesing!
Hopefully you will feel loads better when you have stopped eating these foods.

there was a bit about that test on watchdog last night and it said those tests are a load of rubbish,so I would not believe it ,probaly could look it up on the bbc website

Im intolerant to pineapple and actually thought it never affected me but now I cant really touch the stuff or I come out in lumps and feel ill. A small amount is ok, like in a chinese but I try not to now.

Still like it with a Malibu:p

I'll try it anyway and see what happens, dont knopw what im going to substitue tomatoes for but.
I was in your neck of the woods eye6769, getting it done, the cregagh road in belfast. that synergy clinic.

I have the same problems and so far have narrowed it down to potatos and black pepper. Thanks for this, I can now keep an eye on pepper and tomatoes and see if it still persists!
I love potatoes though! And find even sweet potato (which are from the yam familly-not the potato) effects me the same.

How did you get the test down? Did your doc do it for you?
Thanks again for posting, it's good to know I'm not alone! x

I'll try it anyway and see what happens, dont knopw what im going to substitue tomatoes for but.
I was in your neck of the woods eye6769, getting it done, the cregagh road in belfast. that synergy clinic.

I'm sooo excited!! I know where that is yeoooo! I thought you were going to say somewhere in England but that's great news for me, I'll have to get booked in. Was it expensive?
Thanks x

No, it was only £25 and they covered all food and drink. They use a machine with an electric current (totally pain free) and a sample of all the various foods.
Apparently the pepper/tomatoes/potato are from the same family and cause heat/inflammation in the body.
They also test your bowels and will suggest supplements/foods that will help.
Are you from Belfast?

i had this done recently too. It picked up that im allergic to wool & apples so i trust the results.

there is a massive list of things i should avoid i wont list them all but milk, cheese, butter, eggs, onions, wheat, garlic - they were the ones that i eat the most of. im not going to give up eggs but i am avoiding cheese and have now swapped to soya milk. its not affecting my weight loss but my skin is sooo much clearer:)

No, it was only £25 and they covered all food and drink. They use a machine with an electric current (totally pain free) and a sample of all the various foods.
Apparently the pepper/tomatoes/potato are from the same family and cause heat/inflammation in the body.
They also test your bowels and will suggest supplements/foods that will help.
Are you from Belfast?
Yes just outside it, Dunmurry. Are you going to cut these from your diet then do you think? I've just got the number off google so I'm going to get it done, definatly worth £25 like, but I'm scared incase they tell me tomatoes too lol, I love tomatoes! x

there was a bit about that test on watchdog last night and it said those tests are a load of rubbish,so I would not believe it ,probaly could look it up on the bbc website

I saw that. Was awful. Hopefully these testing methods will be banned after the program. Downright dangerous IMO. People dropping whole foodgroups because of incorrect results.

I know someone who wont touch wheat after some hair analysis test done through the post reported that she had an intolerance to it. Interestingly, she regularly ate something with wheat in without realising what it was, and never heard her report a problem with it.

Didn't like to tell her that wheat was in the ingredients :D

I hate it when people avoid important foods owing to these tests :(

Im going to try for the next few weeks cutting them out, like you i lived on tomatoes and peppers in my salads and dinners, soups, casseroles, pasta etc and smothered everything in black pepper.
Sure if nothing changes/no difference i'll know i can go back to eating them.
Anythings worth a try to get rid of my bloat.

I think good advice is falling on deaf ears,,THE TEST ARE NOT REAL.according to a survey of different places that do the tests,every test comes out at random,therefore giving you fake results and as KD states stopping eating foods groups because you think you are intolerant could lead to major problems within your diet. please check BBC for coverage of last nights program

Reactions: KD
I dont think i'll be at any risk reducing the amount of tomatoes and pepper i eat - its not a complete food group. I am more curious now to see if it does make any difference after this documentary last night. I never watched it but i have heard about it in work today.

id love to do a food intolerence test but they are sooooooo expensive

Sorry but as a health professional I completely agree with eye6769, there have been loads of research done into these sorts of tests are they are all a load of rubbish, there are actually very few people who are intolerant to certain foods, even half of the celebrities that say they have a wheat intolerance so don't eat bread are talking a load of rubbish, just because you bloat doesn't mean you are intolerant to a specific food. A true food intolerance would give you a nasty reaction that you would know about and be able to identify immediately, I'm thinking peanut allergies, crohns disease etc

I agree cutting peppers and tomatos out isn't going to kill you! It's worth a try if it gets rid of your bloating. I rang that place but the girl only works there every other Friday and I work Fridays. Will keep an eye on peppers and tomatos though as I eat alot of them in my salads. Thanks x

I think we have to be very careful here...natural therapies (and alternative tests, etc) are like personal beliefs, they are after all opinions and choices...intolerance is not the same as allergy...I'm fairly sure that I react more than just slightly to potatoes...I just want to go to sleep after I eat a whole one...I've never had a food test and neither do I feel the need to...it is something I discovered once I began to reintroduce food groups with lighterlife some years ago now.

From the web: "
Allergy and food intolerance testing is a complex area. It is not just a simple matter of having a test and then avoiding the culprit food. Often a test may indicate that you are intolerant to several foods – what do you do then? Some people have ended up cutting out a whole list of foods and, in the process, adopted a diet which is completely unsuitable and unhealthy because it fails to include whole food groups or nutrients.
Furthermore, there are many different allergy and food intolerance testing services on the market, some using methods which are not based upon accepted scientific principles. Others use unregulated laboratories whose tests may not be of reputable quality or reliability and it is not always simply a case of “you get what you pay for”, it is easy to end up wasting your money.
Even amongst the ‘reputable’ tests there is a wide variety of testing methodologies to choose from, each testing for allergies or intolerances in a different way, which may not be clear to the lay person. It may need careful consideration to decide upon the most suitable test for a given client’s particular circumstances. This is why professional advice is important."

Allergy and Food Intolerance Testing - Check for allergies and food intolerances in Reading and Windsor

Totally agree Nexa. And you're right that people confuse allergy with intolerance.

Couple more things to add, sometimes if you abstain from a certain food for a while, when you introduce it again, it can cause bloating and even an apparent weight gain. I had this when I introduced bread on one of the Cambridge plans.

I leave off the science behind it, but it is a fact.

Another thing, that though the tomato may see a humble little red thing, cooked in olive oil it releases a load of antioxidents to boost the immune system and help prevent cancer.

If you don't like it, or if you are truly intolerant to it, then fair enough. Just be sure. Remember that cutting out tomatoes isn't just cutting out the little red thing, it also means no more pizzas :D and having to check the ingredients for anything savoury, and troubles as the restaurant.

It's a big deal really...unless you're sure.

Back