OT - sleeping tablets

LisaC

Gold Member
I saw my Dr last week about something & when I mentioned I sleep very badly he gave me a prescription which once I paid & collected it found it to be Nytol. Ive been taking the one-a-night ones since Friday & not only have they not helped me slepp better Ive been sleeping worse :eek:

Can anyone recommend any that should guarantee to work?? In the past Ive tried the sleep-easy ones & they also didnt work.

I use the tescos herbal ones, not regularly, but when I have a hard time sleeping I may use them for a day or 2 and they work for me. Plus I have given up caffeine after 4pm. If noise is causing sleep issues for you, I suggest ear plugs, my hubby snores the plaster from the ceiling so I have started wearing them and it has made a world of difference. :)

xx

Hot milk with a spoonful of honey in it always works for me Lisa, maybe you could ask the pharmacist at your local chemist to recommend something for you, good luck with it. X

I've tried everything! Nytol, (and the grilling from the pharmacist about was I taking anything else!) herbal Nytol, valerian, (horse pills which made me feel sick!) and tincture, (even worse!) lavender oil, camomile tea, relaxing herbal tea, to be honest they may work for a night but thats it!
Then I started using cds. Meditation, "sleep" "lose weight" then Angel meditations. I have found these do get me into a sleep but don't keep me there, but it's better than nothing! At least the mornings that started at 3 o clock have gone and I only have the occasional 4 o clock start. Exercise unfortunately doesn't help either.
But if I go to my sons I sleep all night!

I've tried everything! Nytol, (and the grilling from the pharmacist about was I taking anything else!) herbal Nytol, valerian, (horse pills which made me feel sick!) and tincture, (even worse!) lavender oil, camomile tea, relaxing herbal tea, to be honest they may work for a night but thats it!
Then I started using cds. Meditation, "sleep" "lose weight" then Angel meditations. I have found these do get me into a sleep but don't keep me there, but it's better than nothing! At least the mornings that started at 3 o clock have gone and I only have the occasional 4 o clock start. Exercise unfortunately doesn't help either.
But if I go to my sons I sleep all night!

Thanks Judimac! I'll look into the cd's, although as odd as this sounds I don't feel safe laying in bed with ear plugs in knowing I can't hear anything around me...strange but Ive always been like that! I may give them a try if they help x

I've only tried over the counter stuf (i.e. never anything majorly strong) and nothing.

It reallllllly irks me when they prescribe things you can go and buy yourself! Luckily our local chemist checks and tells you if it's cheaper to buy in store than via prescription.

Anyway...I found kalms the best of a bad bunch. Nytol (both non herbal and herbal) didn't help me at all!!!

Sorry you're not sleeping...try the other ideas and see how you get on.

My sleeping is better now, and I always find I sleep better if I read before hand...not sure why but perhpas it's because I think of stuff other than real life (i.e. worries) before bed?

Good luck hunxxx

yeah I do like Kalms too - gutted you paid nearly 8 quid for Nytol, what a crock!

I am an awful sleeper! I find it so hard to sleep. I think I am nocturnal lol! I find it really easy to nap in the day but at night its like my mind is so active. I have tried all sorts such as nytol etc! they don't do a thing for me. I buy melatonin! they are brilliant, they help regulate sleep patterns, they can also be used for jet lag! My mum first got me them from America to try when she went, I did A level psychology I learnt alot about sleeping etc and the best advice from studies was to use melatonin to regulate healhty sleeping patterns! Now when I find it hard to sleep I take one about an hour before bed and it helps loads!! hope this helps xxx

I've tried Nytol, Kalms, Valeria night, lavender oil, hot chocolate (can't drink milk - yuk), less caffeine, exercise, err the other thing that's meant to release relaxing hormones and help you sleep....

Nothing worked.

I just don't sleep well - I'm shattered all the time and when I go to bed it takes me hours to get to sleep. I won't get any pills from the docs though. Stubborn mare.

Hope you find something hun. xx

i used to have awful insomnia as a teenager and i tried everything the only thing that ever helped is learning how to shut my brain down, now i can fall asleep at the drop of a hat , honestly i am well known for sleeping in the most uncomfortable and ridiculous places but i appreciate sleep so much i don't care i see it as a gift, get yourself a good book on meditation nothing too new agey learn how to slow your breathing and empty your mind i know it sounds like a load of old rhubarb but trust me from someone who has been in your position it's awesome , once you find that place and your brain starts to associate the relaxation you will find it loads easier i dont even do it anymore i just switch off, i have every sympathy with you cause it's horrible and it makes you feel ill and drained.

i used to have awful insomnia as a teenager and i tried everything the only thing that ever helped is learning how to shut my brain down, now i can fall asleep at the drop of a hat , honestly i am well known for sleeping in the most uncomfortable and ridiculous places but i appreciate sleep so much i don't care i see it as a gift, get yourself a good book on meditation nothing too new agey learn how to slow your breathing and empty your mind i know it sounds like a load of old rhubarb but trust me from someone who has been in your position it's awesome , once you find that place and your brain starts to associate the relaxation you will find it loads easier i dont even do it anymore i just switch off, i have every sympathy with you cause it's horrible and it makes you feel ill and drained.

I will def give it a try, thanks x

I guess I am lucky living in wales prescriptions are free! I dont sleep well, and have tried all the usual things, I try and keep the room dark and cool I know it is weird but that does help, hot and stuffy makes for a restless night, I have tried all sort of relaxation things, and this works (my autnie told me to try this - she used to do it when she was having her full body MRI scans that were a bit clostophobic)
'think of your favorite house - slowly in your mind walk through every room, making sure you visualise all the pictures and trinkets, work your way through the rooms and end up in the bedroom, visualise your self laying on the bed sleeping, and cwtched up ( cwtched is a welsh-ism for cuddle) this works for me, I usually use my Nana's house, i hope this helps, x

haha my boyfriend is welsh uses these cwtched and other werid and wounderful words aswell as swopping over the words grammetically in a sentrance.

Im welsh and speak welsh too. Daugher who is 3 speaks some sentences and we say cwtch all the time!!

Anyway as for the sleep thingy....I go for 6 months sometimes by not sleeping...have tried all the remedies under the sun and to be honest none of them work for more than 1-2 nights.
With me, its down to things that I over analyse during the day, or if I have to be somewhere the following day, or even just conversations that I have!
My suggestion would be to keep a note pad by your bed, write things in it that you need to remember.
Dont watch telly in bed and dont read either as these just stimulate your mind again.
If you are unhappy about something - say your job, sort out the issue before things escalate.
These things really do help Hun.
I hope you get some sleep soon.
xxx

This thread seems to have highlighted a couple of thing.... one - the over the counter stuff seems to be a waste of our hard earned money and two - there are a lot of us who suffer from inability to sleep.

I'm like Mrs V, I go over and over everything I've done in the day, things I need to do and things coming up in the future. I need to learn to shut my mind down. I put it down to the way my life is, the way I am and the fact that I've got to put up with it. I sleep so well on holiday though, that's what I need to do.....

Hi, I have been an insomniac most of my life (certainly since primary school). Basically, my mind is too active - I have never learnt to shut it down (I really wish I could). OTC products have no effect on me at all, the only things that work are prescription meds, particularly benzos which are now impossible to get, so poor insomniacs are ignored by the medical profession. Sigh! I wish I could offer something more helpful. Tracy

Back