(OT) VET BILL!!!

I will succeed!!!
OMG!!! Just called the vets and think I need a stiff drink!

When we got home on Sat morning, two of our rats weren't well. My Dad had been staying to look after our menagerie (2 cats, 1 parrot and 4 rats). He loves the cats and parrot, but he isn't keen on the 'rodents' so fed them, watered them but that was about it.

Anyway, Crash had developed a cyst and was poorly - and cause of his age it'd taken it's toll, so we decided for his sake to put him to sleep. The vet agreed so he went to join the others :-(

Trinity was still fiesty as ever, and the lump in her neck was operable - so we booked her in.

Whilst there we ordered some more worming drops for the cats and indoor cat food.

At the desk I asked for a bill estimate and was told £100 (which was about what I'd guessed for everything). I asked it that was total and was told it was.

But when I called just now to double check - that's just potentially for Trin's surgery!!!

Which, means 2x£16 for the bags of cat food, 2x £9 for the worming drops and £10 injection for Crash is on top!!!

I love my pets and don't mind paying - but the vague 'up to £100' for the surgery is way more than I thought! The irony was the pet store gave me Trin for free when I bought a bigger cage for them! And the rats are the only pets I don't have insurance on...might change that after this! Fingers crossed she pulls through - would be a killer to go to settle the bill and be given her in a box.

Hmmmm...thinks we'll be having green days for a few weeks now to make up for it.

:eek:

Oh dear!!! Pets are really expensive arent they Hun? We used to have a border collie (had to give him to my parents as he doesnt like me Daughter) and paid his insurance no problem. Now that he is more than 12 years old, the insurance has gone through the roof.

I hope Trinity pulls through for you.

xxx

oh dear, sorry you got a big shock with the bill, vets are such a rip off.
Back in november my dog developed a bad eye, o i rushed him to the vets, he had a ulcer on it, only way to help was to operate and stitch his eye closed tempory so it could heal. well he had me up for 2 nights on trot constantly crying, not crying whining but crying screaming. so rushed him back to vets, they gave painkiller and another mall op. which seemed to help the pain, the next day i came home from work to mum and sister in a flap, sister had bathed his eye and the stitc split and his eye was hanging out. rushed back to vets, he had glycoma and needed his eye removed. i then got the bill, over £800.00 for the whole lot. 2 ops and medicine.
sentit all off to insurance, (i had sme inheritance money come through so i paid) and all i got back was 460.00 and a letter saying his other eye is now not insured.
they are such a rip off.

to top it off he nearly lost his other eye a month or so back, that was another 150 to get him seen.

hope trinity is doing well, we hd rats a while back, they are fab animals.
xxx

Thanks hun. And yes they are expensive! I think I just didn't think surgery on her would cost so much - especially as they're using gas and not injection to knock her out - and it's usually the jab that makes the price shoot up.

It might cost more than when Noodle and Gadget lost...erm...their gadgets lol. ;) x

oh dear, sorry you got a big shock with the bill, vets are such a rip off.
Back in november my dog developed a bad eye, o i rushed him to the vets, he had a ulcer on it, only way to help was to operate and stitch his eye closed tempory so it could heal. well he had me up for 2 nights on trot constantly crying, not crying whining but crying screaming. so rushed him back to vets, they gave painkiller and another mall op. which seemed to help the pain, the next day i came home from work to mum and sister in a flap, sister had bathed his eye and the stitc split and his eye was hanging out. rushed back to vets, he had glycoma and needed his eye removed. i then got the bill, over £800.00 for the whole lot. 2 ops and medicine.
sentit all off to insurance, (i had sme inheritance money come through so i paid) and all i got back was 460.00 and a letter saying his other eye is now not insured.
they are such a rip off.

to top it off he nearly lost his other eye a month or so back, that was another 150 to get him seen.

hope trinity is doing well, we hd rats a while back, they are fab animals.
xxx

Sorry to hear about your dog :-( Hope he's doing well now

Rats are ace - they're so amusing. I've had 9 in my time and they've all been brill.

Oh blimey! Sorry to hear about your rattie, I used to have lots myself but we have a cat now (I found him dumped in a hedge when he was a tiny kitten), so I've had a break from them. Miss them though.

I'm feeling your pain! My cat has liver disease and the bills are mounting up. Luckily covered at the moment by insurance but only for the first 12 months. After that they won't pay out at more. Other cat needs dental work and that's not covered at all!

One bit of information people may not be aware of. As you can buy contact lenses online cheaper after getting a prescription from your optician, you can also buy pet meds in the same way. New legislation and vet required to provide prescription if asked. I get special cat food this way (doesn't even need prescription) at £29 for a 5kg bag as opposed to £38 from vet. Also vet currently charges £35 for 60 capsules of herbal remedy to support liver butI can get only for £17! Definitely worth considering if your pet is on special diet or has a long-term condition not covered by insurance.

I recently took my dog to the vets and had to take her back on 4 occassions, this was at their request so they could keep a check on her. Each visit cost me £25 before treatment, and they asked me to go!!!

Unbelievable.

Hope your little one pulls through. xx

Sticky - Before you buy everything from the vets see if you can buy the online, I have 2 cats & normally pay around £45 every 3 months for frontline flea stuff & drontal wormers, I managed to get 3 months worth of the same for both cats from a place call petdispensary for £21 delivered!!! there are a few others online too so it is worth shopping around, I will mae sure I do this in future before I buy blindly from the vets!

I hope your rat is all okay though.

I'm feeling your pain! My cat has liver disease and the bills are mounting up. Luckily covered at the moment by insurance but only for the first 12 months. After that they won't pay out at more. Other cat needs dental work and that's not covered at all!

One bit of information people may not be aware of. As you can buy contact lenses online cheaper after getting a prescription from your optician, you can also buy pet meds in the same way. New legislation and vet required to provide prescription if asked. I get special cat food this way (doesn't even need prescription) at £29 for a 5kg bag as opposed to £38 from vet. Also vet currently charges £35 for 60 capsules of herbal remedy to support liver butI can get only for £17! Definitely worth considering if your pet is on special diet or has a long-term condition not covered by insurance.

What food do you buy? We use the Hills Science Plan but tend to get it 3 for 2 at Pets At Home (but won't be there for a few weeks so need enough to feed the kitties til then).

What's more...I understand paying for the vets time and the like, but the prices are so high it puts people off. Which isn't good for the poor animals. And the insurance companies should be a little less harsh too.

Thanks for all your good wishes - not heard if it went well yet though, but no news is good news x

Hope the drink has kicked in now and the pain is wearing off. I definately made the wrong career choice dinner lady or vet mmm now let me think................

LOL Charlottegrace!

Well, the vets just called. Trin is out of surgery and they managed to remove the lump. She's drowsy from the gas so I cannot go to collect her until 5pm when the vet is free to discuss it with me.

The bill for Trin is £91, so was about right. Least it was the good side of 100 eh?

Gonna go set up our 'spare/ill rat' cage so she can recover without Noot and Squibble harrassing her too much :)

I'll post again when I've seen her and know for sure she's ok xxxx

Aww no, hope she's ok!

Our cat was run over last year and we didnt have insurance, sadly he had to be put to sleep a month later as he was partially paralysed and not improving :( the bill was over £400 and taught us a valuable lesson to always have pet insurance! Needless to say we have it on our other cat now just incase but hopefully we'll never need it.

I hope Trinity makes a full recovery & is home with you soon! x

Aww no, hope she's ok!

Our cat was run over last year and we didnt have insurance, sadly he had to be put to sleep a month later as he was partially paralysed and not improving :( the bill was over £400 and taught us a valuable lesson to always have pet insurance! Needless to say we have it on our other cat now just incase but hopefully we'll never need it.

I hope Trinity makes a full recovery & is home with you soon! x

Sorry you lost your cat hun. As much as I love all my pets, it'd be if Noodle or Gadget got hurt that would break my heart. Cats have a way of making you fall in love with them don't they?

Hugs to you - and thanks for the message. Trin will be home soon x

What food do you buy? We use the Hills Science Plan but tend to get it 3 for 2 at Pets At Home (but won't be there for a few weeks so need enough to feed the kitties til then).

My cats are on special prescriptions food - either Hill's Prescription or Royal Canin - one for obesity management (no comment!) and the other for liver disease. But most of the sites do normal Hill's Science Plan as well.

Here's some of the sites I've used
www.petplanet.co.uk
Welcome to Petmeds.co.uk - Pet Medication Supplies
Bestpet Pharmacy - online pet pharmacy buy Drontal, Fortekor, Metacam, Rimadyl, Vivitonin, Vetoryl and much more.

Google what you want and you'll lots of alternatives. Just look at the postage as some are free and others aren't.

Julie19 is right, you can get routine flea and worming treatments much cheaper online. Also the Feliway pheromne diffusers and refills are much cheaper than from the vet or pet shop.

glad all is well now. We have an 18 month old lab who had some leg problems last year (he was around 10 months old at the time) and that came to over £1800, luckily we are insured, now we're having a problem with him being 'over clean' bless him, he's licking his private bits and bobs so much that he's taking away all the good bacteria and is now producing a milky disharge - yacky! so that was £75 last week for a consultation, antibiotic injection and a course of tablets, he was back there last night for another course of antibioticcs - that was £45, then he's got to go back next week for a swab and prob more anitbiotics! thank goodness we did insure him, its £11 a month well spent lol. Animals ey - whould have em xxx

(OT) VET BILLS! UPDATE

Well, Trinity is back from the vets. The lump was, they think, her thyroid gland!!! But they won't know 100% unless they do a test on it which costs £45. Even the vet said this was not worthwhile at the moment - but that they'd keep the lump incase she got ill again. Think he thought I was a bit grim when I asked to see the lump lol. It was HUGE - nearly as big as a ping pong ball - but it hadn't shown that large outside so was shocked.

Anyway, she's home now feeling sorry for self. She perked up when I gave her some baked beans - her fave treat :)

Some pics of my brave lass

Snuggles with Mum

Bald bit

'I am all sick I am'

Munching some bean - SW style

bless her - shes pulling a very good 'you should feel sorry for me' face on the third photo x

Back