Overwhelmed

Hamish's Mum

Silver Member
Not quite sure how to say this without sounding like I am moaning or just feeling sorry for myself but this week I feel very overwhelmed by how much weight I still have to lose.

I lost about 1.5 stone before starting SW and have lost almost another stone in past 6 weeks, but I have suddenly become aware of how much I still have to lose.

I am going to Florida at the beginning of July and am hoping to lose another 19lbs by then to get me under the 200's, but I will still be huge even with a 50lb weight loss that I would have achieved in total by then. I know I will hopefully be 2 dress sizes less than the time I went to Florida last year, but hoping for a size 18, I will still be big.

I am trying to break it up into small chunks which I have been doing and felt fine with, but after my sudden realisation this week I am finding it hard to shake this feeling.

Anyone else feel this way or any advice on how I can get over this hurdle?

Hiya :)

Firstly, we all feel like this at the beginning of our weight-loss. So you are not alone. It's a perfectly normal thing to be a bit overwhelmed by the task in hand, but try not to look to the long term too much and focus on this day by day. Every day that you successfully eat well is one day closer to your goal. Soon another half-stone will be gone, then another, then another. Make sure you keep your diet nice and varied and full of things you enjoy eating, so you feel positive about your meals and the fact that you have such a versatile set of tools at your disposal.

Secondly, you are going to America for a holiday. You are not very likely to be made to feel "big" while you are there. You will feel like Twiggy. BUT, you arent going there to compare yourself to other people, or worry about what other people think of you, you are going to have a holiday and a good time!! So do your best with the plan in the meantime and whatever you lose between now and then, you will lose - 19lb by then is VERY do-able.

Good luck!

I felt like this and i am now over the half way point in my journey - but its taken me 18 months!!! I think you do need to think much smaller.

How are you going to stick to plan today. Simple. Free Foods, syns, HEA and HEB choice. Easy - task one completed :)

Then - How much weight do i want to lose between now and next weigh in? I am currently on a lb a week mission and completing this for the last 4 weeks (i have actually lost 5lbs!!!) and its so much less stress. One lb a week is 4 stone in a year!!!!

Then - i always think about my mini goals - you have got your stone award coming up, club 10, then the next awards and before you know it you are moving along nicely!!! These little milestones are fab incentives and i am now on the second side of my book!!!! :)

Keep going - its tough - but you can do it.

Good luck xxxx

hi hun i can imagine how u feel i had 2-3 stone to lose and it seemed like an impossible task but have now lost 28lb of it, have a look through some of the inspirational diaries on here there are plenty of members that have lost the same amount of weight u want to lose.
good luck losing the lbs xx

MLM is right (as usual!!) - We have ALL felt that way. Even those with only a little weight to lose still see it as a mountain to climb. I started with at least 8 stones to lose, but now I am 1 year and 187 days into my SW life and 5 stones 4 1/2 lbs lighter.

Part way through my new SW life, I sat down with a piece of paper and worked out how far I had to go... then (and this was the hard part) worked out how long it would take me to lose it, working on 1 lb per week!! From this point on, I knew that I was in it for the long haul!! Yes, it was daunting, but then I worked out that for the age I was that I'd had XX years of eating 'crap' for every year on SW (to sort out the damage). Considering how much I'm enjoying SW, it seems a pretty good trade off!!!

Don't be dis-heartened!!! And NEVER compare your stats to anyone elses!! (it's just depressing sometimes!!) One advantage of having lots to lose (and losing it slowly) is that you are learning how to healthy eat... I know that sounds very glib and everyone knows how to healthy eat... but for those that have only a little to lose, most of them will treat SW as a short-term 'diet' - a solution to a temporary problem. Instead, we will learn the benefits of healthy eating, how easy it will become to make this our way of life even after the targets have been met... This way should make us less likely to 'fall off the wagon' once our targets have been reached... After all, how can you fall of the wagon if you don't even know that you are on it!??!!

HTH - and keep going!!

P.S. I promise to leave Florida where I found it (I'm going in May!!)

Yes have felt like that and still feel like that with this last stage of my journey but along the way have lost 8 stone 2lbs(hopefully a little bit more after tonights weigh in) so it does go but yes it is hard work.Which is all the more reason to break down the weight you want to lose into smaller more manageable goals and reward yourself along the way.
Try not to think about the fact you will still be big when you go away think about how much smaller you will be and buy yourself the nicest and most flattering outfits you can find for you at that stage and enjoy your hols and then it won't be long after you will be flogging them on ebay because they are too big! :)

You really need to focus on what you have achieve so far ...... 2 1.2 st!!!! That is a brilliant amount to have lost and you must be feeling so much better. Just concentrate on what you can lose before you go on holiday and as Elle said, break these down into small steps.

If you are an 18 by the time you go on holiday, that is not huge at all, just nice and curvy. Most of all, have a fantastic holiday knowing that when you come home you have the rest of your journey to look forward to and getting to target in the near future.

Go girlie, you can do it xxx

Back