Overwhelmed!!

butterflybow

Hi everyone!

Over the last few days I've been trying to find a way to lose some weight. I've been researching for days on end the different diet plans available. Once I find one that sounds good however I find conflicting advice seemingly from good sources advising against them for whatever reason. All the creators of the diets argue in the mechanisms of weight loss and it seems like although calorie reduction is the currently recommended way to lose weight, not everyone agrees.

It's just all so confusing! I can't find a single diet which I feel I can stick to. I feel really defeated, and lost :cry: and although I'll probably find that I COULD stick to them, at the moment I feel too deflated to try.

How do you decide how to diet without your head exploding ?

Sorry for the whining guys :sigh:

Hi Butterfly bow - I have done SO MANY other diets - from tomato soup, cabbage soup, WW, dukan, 17 day diet etc etc. the list goes on. I could never stick to them, and if I could - i knew I'd have a problem long term... this time I have decided basically on healthy eating whilst keeping an eye on calories. I exercise daily and I make healthier opsions. So many people here have had excellent success on SLimming World etc. but I just find healthy eating etc works for me. I follow my calories on My Fitness Planner and use my treadmill and Wii for exercise. The weight is slowly coming off - may take a little longer than other ways, but i think for me the wait is worth it. My advice would be try and find out which one works for your lifestyle. Ive chosen one that isnt really a diet more a lifestyle change for weightloss than maintnence. Have you got a diary?

All the best with your decision :) xxx

RawrGirl just posted this on another thread...but thought perhaps it would help here too:

RawrGirl yo-yoed for last 14 years and is now the thinnest she ever was as an adult (age 34), and is almost at goal. What worked for RawrGirl was cutting out carbs (around 20-25 grams per day) except for one weekend a month when she goes out to eat one night, orders a pizza the other night, and treats herself to whatever dessert(s) she craved/missed all month long. The hardest thing was not taking every weekend off and binge eating all weekend long.

She also cut her calories down pretty low (about 1100 average -- weekdays around 800, weekends around 1500), but and this is a BIG but, she lifted heavy weights 6x a week (upper one day, lower the next) to keep her metabolism up, and to keep her body burning fat instead of muscle, and she ensured she ate 80 grams a protein a day to further spare muscle loss.

RawrGirl particularly liked this diet because of the intentional lack of cardio. One doesn't want to do cardio on so little calories and RawrGirl hates cardio. She started this diet in September and dropped from a barely squeezing into her size 12's to being a perfect size 6 (the smallest she ever was before that was an 8 despite being on various diets for 14 years!)

But if you don't lift heavy weights 6x a week (or total body workout 3x a week), and eat so little, you will lose a lot of muscle, and never be able to eat normally because the loss of muscle will slow metabolism to a crawl (what experts call "starvation diet"). So don't do it if you can't commit to the weights.

The above diet was a moderation of this study adjusted to eat more on weekends, plus the once-a-month weekend off, which enabled RawrGirl to stay on it longer than 12 weeks and thus do the diet all the way to goal). RawrGirl also took vitamins, and not the one-pill type, but the kind that comes in daily packets with calcium, plus a potassium pill (very important for a very low calorie diet). Also RawrGirl is/was healthy with no health problems, normal blood pressure, etc...so be sure you don't cut calories that low if you have any problems or see your doctor regularly to make sure you don't damage yourself.

RawrGirl has before and after pics on her profile page, plus an album showing her 14 year old jeans not even fitting over her hips back in September to now fitting if you're interested. Her heaviest pics are from back in 2010 (172 lbs.), and she started this diet in September around 155 lbs. The last time she weighed was Nov 21 and the scale said 138.5. RawrGirl gets the scale again this Friday and is hoping for 129, but that may be somewhat unrealistic as she had a long Thanksgiving weekend and then was sick for a week (no workouts).

Thank you for the advice :) I've decided on WW for now as I am usually quite good at keeping on track. If I have no luck I'll try low carb.

Hi,

I was always the same. I avoided dieting as i never knew which one to go with and actually stick with. I'm on WW too and find it easier to do this one as i can eat all my favourite foods but just minimise the amount or at worst budget points for it. I don't feel you can lose plus it's easier as it means i can eat the same as my boyfriend without too much worry. The other bonus is it's easier for me as I have a 12 week old baby and cooking proper meals everyday is hard so being able to eat anything including the ready meals and only needing to point it makes life easier!

Hi.
I have previously lost weight on the GI diet but whilst at uni I put it back on. After uni I wasn't really sure if to try GI again or another one when I was told that the new pro points of WW is based on the GI diet so thought I'd go for it. Only really properly started it yesterday but finding it easy to stick to as long as I have brown bread rice etc which keep you fuller for longer.
Good luck

I keep an eye on calories and try to generally stay below 1200. I've tried every diet going and I find it restricting.

how are you going butterflybow? :)

Back