P45 lost in post - P46 - then what?

Discussion in 'Lighter Life Forum' started by Blonde Logic, 12 March 2009 Social URL.

1. Blonde Logic

Blonde Logic Yes. You can.

Start Weight:
    258lb
    Current Weight:
    228lb
    Goal Weight:
    168lb
    Lost(%):
    30lb(11.63%)
    Diet:
    cambridge
    Hi peeps

Just informed my P45 from my temp job has gone missing. I have already filled out a P46 as part of my induction paperwork for BUPA, but as it is close to the end of the tax year, I think I am going to get taxed heavily <?>, and then need to chase it back from Inland Revenue, or something like that?

Can anyone advise - this is all new to me.

Thank you!!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Sean(JSF)

Sean(JSF) Making it all add up

Start Weight:
    20st6lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st6lb(36.36%)
    Diet:
    Finished - Lighter Life
    Nah, not a problem don't worry.

Your new employer will put you on an "emergency" coding, which is effectively the single person coding on a 'month one' basis.

So for March you'll get paid as if it was your first and only month's pay. Basically, unless you're a higher rate tax payer you won't suffer, or benefit either way.

April onwards you will be taxed on a normal code basis until HMRC issue your new coding

Hope this helps

4. IslandBreeze

IslandBreeze Castaway

Your old employer isn't legally allowed to re-issue a P45 if the first one gets lost. You're doing the right thing with the P46. Depending on your personal circumstances you may end up slightly over-taxed this month and if so, you can't reclaim it til the tax year ends now. if you are a bit over-taxed, add it up after April 5th and write to your local HMRC office to reclaim it, including copies of your P60 and final payslip from your last company. If you've worked most of the year, any excess tax is likely to be really small though.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.