Packed Lunch for hungry man lol

Hi

Does anyone have any ideas what to give the otherhalf for packed lunches.

He's doesnt have a mircowave or means to heat back up and loves bread but will not eat WW bread. ( and they say women are fussy lol)

Nor does he fancy the idea of pasta salad.....

Thanks

Becci

Cold chicken drumsticks with a nice glaze on like the free bbq sauce and some couscous? I always thought i didnt like couscous (not having tried it properly) and now i really love it. Sometimes you just have to keep trying untill you get a taste for it.

low syn scotch eggs ?? ..... use WW sausages (0.5 syn each) and WW bread (that he *cough cough* doesn't like ;) .. or any other wholemeal bread ) as HEx B .... only 0.5 syn per scotch egg !

i'm making these for my picnic tomorrow ! :)

xxx

my hubby usually takes...several pieces of fruit,a salad or pasta salad,a mugshot or cous cous pot,a hifi bar(heb) and two babybels(hea).

he also often takes leftovers in the place of the salad if its something he can just zap quickly too! had chilli the other day.

You said he doesn't fancy the idea of pasta salad - I'd make him some to try!

Cook pasta, add tuna, peppers, onion, sweetcorn, cucumber, tomato or whatever else he does like. Mix it up with some xl mayo or salad cream. I bet he would like it!

I'll second the use of either a flavoured couscous or one of the packs of savory rice. I just had some of the chilli rice myself (cold - I made it up last night) with some quorn fillet pieces and cherry tomatoes. Nice and filling for a last minute lunch. I usually have something similar most days but include eggs, prawns, chicken, ham basically whatever is in the fridge with some salad and rice/cous-cous/pasta.
Alternatively buy him some "proper" bread to make his sarnies out of, or is this too much temptation for you?

Children's packed lunch problems!

Hi all,

I have picked up some great ideas from your posts but have a 12 year old son who is doing Slimming World with me and he just won't eat most of what has been suggested!

He is a sandwich, sausage roll, burger kinda boy!!

Any ideas of what I can put in his lunch box? Doesn't need to be syn free - just sensible eating :confused:

Thank you!

Rachel

Make him a sandwich but omit the sausage roll! Buy low fat sausages and chop them up and put them in a little box with a bit of ketchup to dip if he wishes.
Low fat yoghurts, mini babybel lights and low syn crisps are good for packed lunches too.

I though the free2go system encouraged children to make sensible swops so I'm sure he'll swop his sausage roll for low syn sausages.

Becci - I really like these..

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]John West Salmon Light Lunch, Moroccan Style, ambient 240g pot[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
1½ Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 1½ Syns
green.gif
Green 2½ Syns
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

They also do some other flavours as well as the Moroccan one. Give him that with a few chopped up 'salad' stuff (carrots, peppers, tomatoes, cucumber - maybe even a couple of hard boiled eggs).

Rachel - Why not make some syn free (or buy some low syn) burgers? He could have them with a HEX b of wholemeal bread/bap, topped off with some salad. You could make a sandwich of anything (using wholemeal bread as HEX b) a BLT, Chicken salad sandwich, anything really - just add some extra salad to it. Use some cheese from the HEX A list and try him with some Laughing cow triangles and any of the crispbread/crackerbread/crackers from the HEX b list.

SW Quiche is also very filling, I usually thinly slice a tomato place on bottom of flan dish, soften onion, leek, peppers and mushrooms. Add either some chopped bacon (fat removed) or ham, place over tomato then pour over cottage cheese that has been blended (until smooth) with 2 eggs, finishing off with another sliced tomato on top. Bake in oven until golden and set.

I serve this with a salad and is delicious!

Im going to knock up some Quiche tonight and see if he likes it.... Then he'll get some of that for lunch with Salad. We will be doing mostly Green days as we both love Potato's and i find it easier......
We both say we dont like Cottage Cheese but after seeing that lots of you are using it with the egg mix i might have to sneak it in and see if he'll eat it, if not Pasta n Sauce or Smash lol
That should keep him quite for a bit lol

I'll probably cause a row with this, but disguising 'good' ie SW foods as 'bad' foods such as sausage rolls, cheese (even if it's reduced fat), and 'low fat' crisps isn't going to promote healthy eating and food choices for a young person's future.

I really do applaud families who make the effort to lose weight and be a bit healthier, but it does make me wonder whether this is the right way to do it.... It's only going to promote poor choices, unless your child is going to never eat a non-SW sausage roll again, or always eat 'French Fries' instead of 'proper crisps'? They are definitely more healthy than their full-fat versions, but they're still not healthy foods for you.... these are things we can 'get away with' in small quantities on SW, but they're not a basis for a lifetime of food choices.

I just say this because it makes my blood run cold to think of my child having to struggle so much with their weight when they're older and be as miserable as I have been, just because of what i've put in their lunchbox....

Thanks for your suggestions for my son.

He will happily eat cucumber but that is it on the salad front!

I will get some quorn sausages later and cook them tonight for tomorrow's lunch box.

Unfortunately, he is quite basic in his tastes - won't eat salad, yogurt, quiche, only some fruits, I guess that is why he got podgy in the first place lol.

But, he is working very hard to stick to the healthier options and has lost 9.5lbs so far so it is obviously working.

I just wanted to try and give him a bit of variety......

Oh, I thought cottage cheese was the Devil's own work, Loved By Darren, but I can't go a day without it now! I actually crave it if I run out, and eat at LEAST a 500g tub a day, but often more! lol Stick with it :) yummyumm

if you whisk the egg n cottage cheese you cant taste it or see lumps. My OH wont touch cottage cheese but loves sw quiche, how about doing bulgur wheat? Ive also read on here that if you cook jackets, stuff with some soft cheese, wrap them in foil and put them in a flask they are still warm at dinner

Thanks for your suggestions for my son.

He will happily eat cucumber but that is it on the salad front!

May be too much, but on the sw website, they have a 'recipe' for cucumber subs, where you halve it like a french stick and scoop out the middle then fill with tuna mayo mixed with the scooped out bits

Back