New Dieter (Likes to eat clean)

Hi guys,
my name is Chantelle and im 26 from Nottingham. I am currently about 15st7 and at 5ft1 that makes me over 6 stone overweight :( I have tried so many different diets overtime but the problems I usually have is either hunger (VLCDs) Blandness (Macrobiotic Diets - Gillian McKeith) or Sicklyness from the richness of the food (Atkins or HFLC). I am going to start Slimming World on Monday as thats when my next group session is. I love the idea of unlimited foods and not having to be hungry but one thing I don't like about the diet is the processed foods that can be unlimited. Things like mugshots, mullerlights and pasta in sauce etc. Is there anyone else like that out there that would rather make things from scratch? maybe we could meet here to discuss ideas and recipes. I personally don't even want to buy fry light as I dont agree with the ingredients in it (you wont catch me ever buying margarines.) I am definitely more into the idea of clean foods. Does anyone know a low syn way to make the SW chips? I am not worried about meats and fish I have a good non stick griddle pan and I love poached eggs. Also I am very sensitive to FODMAP (Fermentable carbs that affect IBS symptoms) foods. So if anyone can recommend good gluten free recipes etc that would also be helpful :) I know I sound so fussy but trust me lol I must trump at least 1000 times a day unless I avoid certain foods..

thanks in advance for any advice or help given

things I want to avoid as much as possible is wheat, milk, sweeteners, fry light, margarine, anything derived from sunflower, onions, garlic and low fat cheese/yoghurts. Eventhough low fat products are lower in carbs they tend to be higher in lactose (milk sugar) and thats what I need to avoid. Does anyone know if you can use fage Total Greek Yoghurt? I am guessing it will need to be synned. Luckily I dont like sugar in my tea or coffee so should be easy to avoid. Are sweetners that come from Stevia ok rather than aspartime etc?

Hi Chantelle.
Welcome to SW and this website, sorry to hear that you can't have some fooods it does make it hard. I don't know a way of making the SW chips without either frylight, or any other cooking sprays, you only need a small amount but it does help to brown the chips, you might want to look into using an air fry cooker. I have made my own spray using crisp & dry mixed with water and spray that, it doesn't leave that coating on the pans that frylight does. I cook eggs using a dry small frying pan with a glass lid on top but larger than the pan so that the steam & heat can escape, this allows the egg to cook the yoke without any fat.
If you follow my link there are hundreds of recipes but they do contain some of your banned foods, one of our SW members has got a book from the hospital that gives advice for people with intolerances to certain foods.
Anyway good luck and if you get stuck, call us.
Pete

I follow SW and very rarely eat processed foods. As much as mugshots, pasta and sauce are 'free' you can't really eat unlimited quantities of them - not without adding tons of veg etc which I'm sure anyone would tire of the same old stuff anyway.

You don't HAVE to eat them on SW either! I have no idea where this myth comes from. I manage quite happily using a few syns for honey - I refuse to touch sweetener. I don't use low fat spread - I use butter. I don't eat diet cake. I eat real cake. I eat proper chocolate. I drink proper wine. I just eat or drink less of it!
If you don't like processed foods, don't eat them!

If you don't like processed foods I assume you probably don't want to use syns on chocolate or cake etc so you could use your usual oil for chips. A tablespoon is 6 syns, or you could use your healthy extra for extra virgin olive oil.

You don't HAVE to eat them on SW either! I have no idea where this myth comes from. I manage quite happily using a few syns for honey - I refuse to touch sweetener. I don't use low fat spread - I use butter. I don't eat diet cake. I eat real cake. I eat proper chocolate. I drink proper wine. I just eat or drink less of it!
If you don't like processed foods, don't eat them!

If you don't like processed foods I assume you probably don't want to use syns on chocolate or cake etc so you could use your usual oil for chips. A tablespoon is 6 syns, or you could use your healthy extra for extra virgin olive oil.

There's several urban myths surrounding SW lol - when I told a friend the other day that I was having spag bol for dinner she said that on SW I couldn't have them both together - errrm okkkkkkk!

I like your thinking here though Kingleds - if you really want butter / wine etc , then have it, just dont have much of it x

Hi there. I was really surprised when I saw your post as the whole reason I joined SW was because there were very few processed foods included in the plan. I'm really surprised that you have heard that it's filled with them! Things like mugshots and frylight are optional and I use them in an extremely limited way. I do buy yoghurts but you could just as easily use fat free natural yoghurt (if this is considered a clean food, I'm not sure). Also the use of tinned things is limited as they would all be synned except for things like beans and pulses, but again, you could just soak your own. I'm not really sure what the criteria are for clean foods but the good thing about SW is you only eat what YOU want and the basis of it is cooking from scratch to produce healthy meals. I think you have chosen the right plan for that. Good luck and let us know what you think :)

PS have a look around in the recipes section in the stickies as there are literally hundreds that involve meals made from scratch. In particular have a look at the slimming eats blog by britmum in Canada. Although she uses frylight (or equivalent) you can substitute olive oil or your own preferred oil and syn it. It's really that simple.

Agree with the others, you don't have to eat processed food on SW. I rarely eat packet pasta or muller lights, I use sugar in my porridge and eat real cake! For chips I use oil. A tablespoon of oil between 3 is 2 syns each.

Just because foods are available in the plan doesn't mean you have to have them. The beauty of SW is the abundance of free foods, you really can eat whatever you like!!

Good luck.

i never eat mug-shots, pasta in sauces etc, rarely eat carbs tbh, tend to do red days, also i dont know if its any good to u but theres an olive oil spray which is just olive oil, no emulsifiers etc, i think its 1/2 syn per 7 sprays or something, but for my roast veg, i just brush with a little egg n chuck in a load of herbs :) x

Franalamadingdong said:
The phillipp berio is 1/5 syn per 7 sprays, so if you are cooking for two and spray 14 times it is half a syn each.

And yes fage total Greek yogurt is free. I use it :)

The 0% Greek is free. Not the other one

I eat clean and follow sw and paleo...I use olive oil as a heb,I don't use fry light and all my meals are cooked from scratch.
I do have organic brown rice pasta in the cupboard which I have now and again but that's about as processed as I have x

You should look for PurpleBints Diary.... She eats a very clean diet and does SlimmingWorld and Paleo/Primal eating. Put her name in the search box and you should find her diary, she also has lots of pictures, her food always looks scrum my.

As far as I am aware, there are a few things that are gluten free as Healthy Extra B choices.

Re milk: Is that ALL milk, or just cows milk? There are other options available under Healthy Extra A choices - soya/sheeps milk/almond milk etc.

You can have full fat cheese - you'll just find that most people choose the low fat versions as you get more!!!

Since you have clear ideas about what you can/want to eat - make sure that you ask your consultant during your first meeting. There are lots of Healthy Extra choices on the website that aren't in your books - so make sure that you look on-line once you've joined.

I would just reiterate really what others have said. S W is really cooking from scratch and you dont have to have the mugshots,pasta n sauce, mullerlights. They are there is you want a quick snack, but no mandatory by any means. I have managed to lose all my weight without touching the pasta n sauce and mugshots. Yes I like the mullerlights, but there are alternatives like fat free natural yoghurt. I cook all my meals from scratch and most members, if not all do this. It is part of the ethos of S W. It just rocks. :)

thanks guys lots of helpful information there :) I have just come from a paleo inspired diet but I found it too fatty. I found it really hard to fill up on just protein and veggies. So thats why I am trying slimming world. I think when I do have my meeting on Monday I will explain foods I want to avoid and see if the consultant can point me in the right direction. I had a friend who used to do slimming world back when we were both slimming. I was doing macrobiotic style dieting and she was doing SW she used to come in to work with supernoodles in batches etc and I just thought thats not healthy! she insisted it was. Maybe her exercise regime wasn't very good because she started getting big again. To be honest I have a mega sweet tooth and I love my carbs so paleo isnt the best for me. The avoiding the fermentable carbs is due to my excessive wind. Its not painful or anything but exercise really spikes it up and if im at the gym at the time its not pretty lol. My dad did slimming world a couple of years ago and he did fantastically its really inspired me :)

You can eat supernoodles, not exercise and still lose weight. She couldn't have been following the plans correctly if she was getting big again!!

As we've said, they are part of the SW diet so can be eaten. It's just up to the individual if they choose too.

I like to cook from scratch, most of us do, but some love supernoodles and pasta in sauce.

Back