Pancake Tuesday Today!

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Pancakes
These are also known as Scotch Pancakes, especially in the north. They must be cooked as soon as possible after mixing, as the acid in the buttermilk starts to react with the baking soda at once. For that reason the griddle or pan should be heated before combining the ingredients.

8 oz/ 250g/ 2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 large egg
1/2 pt/ 250ml/ 1 cup buttermilk

Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Make a well in the middle with a wooden spoon and add the egg. Break the yolk and pour in the buttermilk, mixing quickly to a thick batter. Do not beat, as this would develop the gluten in the flour and prevent the pancakes from rising. Fry in large dollops on a lightly-greased, hot griddle or heavy frying-pan. Drop scones are best served hot for tea, thickly spread with melting butter and syrup or jam.
Here is an easy way to make thin pancakes:
4 oz/ 125g/ 1 cup plain flour
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 pt/ 250ml/ 1 cup milk
1 tbsp melted butter
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend for about 30 seconds. The batter should then be allowed to stand for 30 minutes in a cool place. Heat a small pan over a medium heat. Grease with a little butter and wipe out with kitchen paper. Fry about 2 tbsp of batter at a time, swirling to cover the base of the pan. Keep them thin and there will be no need to turn. Serve rolled up with sugar.

From the Appletree Press title: A Little Irish Cookbook.

Last edited:
Cheers Mini

Boys are on half term holiday this week and to stop them eating junk all day. I have devised a chart where one of them prepares snacks for them all one mid morning and one mid afternoon. This morning MacKenzie made microwave popcorn and this afternoon Artie made scooby snacks and warm milk with honey. Theo mentioned he wanted to make pancakes when it's his turn. They normally make them with Mizzy so I'll try your recipe. I'll let you know how we get on. Better check back your post to check I have all the ingredients.

Dizzy x

I have no one to make them for this year and husband says he does not want any:(

Will make them for Pierce the next time he is home.

It is great fun doing cooking with kids...

Have to say I have some lovely memories of my mother teaching me how to cook.

Love Mini xxx

Is it pancake day already?!! :eek: No chance I'm making them with the girls - there is no way I have that much willpower!!! Maybe DH will make them with them:)

Pancakes
These are also known as Scotch Pancakes, especially in the north.

Okay...curious now (you know me:rolleyes:), if pancakes are called scotch pancakes (up north), what are scotch pancakes known as?

Anyway. Pancakes for me this year!
Clap1.gif
Probably the first time since in about 30 years I'm going to eat and enjoy them without the slightest bit of guilt :cool:

Ooooh and with lemon and castor sugar, or maybe maple syrup, son will probably have his with icecream inside and choc sauce over the top :)

Is it pancake day already?!! :eek: No chance I'm making them with the girls - there is no way I have that much willpower!!! Maybe DH will make them with them:)

That's what I was thinking....I'm sure its next week!! Please let it be next week

That's what I was thinking....I'm sure its next week!! Please let it be next week

Yes, it's next week. 20th if my calculations are right. Ash Wednesday is the 21st (beginning of lent and always 6.5 weeks before Easter Sunday) Pancake day is always a day before that, to get rid of the goodies before Lent.

Would have been easier to use a diary to check instead of my fingers :D

We are cooking them now. The boys are tucking in with glee. Artie's my little cook though he's in his element!

Thanks for the recipe.

Dizzy x

Okay...curious now (you know me:rolleyes:), if pancakes are called scotch pancakes (up north), what are scotch pancakes known as?

Anyway. Pancakes for me this year!
Clap1.gif
Probably the first time since in about 30 years I'm going to eat and enjoy them without the slightest bit of guilt :cool:

Hi Karion,

There use to be Seasonal migration from here over to Scotland for the potato gathering and I guess this is where the recipe might originally come from.

Love Mini xxx

No pancakes for me this year :cry: :cry: :sigh:
i LOVE pancakes...:cry:
especially with raspberry vinegar and brown sugar....:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back