Paper mache help!

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
Oh flip! I totally forgot, I have to make a paper mache chick this afternoon! Any ideas on how I should go about this?! I've never ever done it before, and it needs to be done by, well, ASAP!

I think I have a couple of days with it, think it is needed for Friday. No idea on size, its for my OH's daughter to decorate in school, she's 8 so it doesn't need to be perfect scale model. Thinking balloon body, balled up newspaper head, wire feet!

No idea why I have to do it.....must learn to say "sorry, I'm washing my hair"

I would probably do a smaller balloon head, tbh, it will look smoother and more in keeping with the body. But if you have till Friday thats great, you could add a coat of papier mache each night till its nice and firm.

Wire feet good plan. Just be careful to make sure any sharp bits are covered somehow, and I would fix them in place before you start the papier mache, so that you can weld them in place with the gluey newspaper. If you do the head with the balloon, make the bigger area of the balloon the back of the head, and then the smaller tapered bit near the knot can form the beak. And vice versa with the bigger body balloon, make the tapered knotted end be the tail part. The head one can be burst through the mouth once its dry so you can get rid of the visible balloon bits.

Flour and water glue is probably the best bet for cheapness and is perfect for this sort of job. Theres a method for making that here...

Papier Mache - Tutorials - Getting Started with Papier Mache

Basically, its just "soak paper in glue, apply to balloon, wait to dry, rinse and repeat, until substantial crust cover is made."

Wicked. Gonna go for PVA and water to speed up the process a bit. Bit miffed I don't get to decorate it, that's the best bit! Oh to be 8 again...

No advice as you've got it covered but just wanted to add that I wanna make one now!! Sounds much more fun than more annual reviews - in fact, I wonder if I can incorporate crafting into said reviews to make it more interesting....

Have fun!

Whoa, I want to be 8 again:D

Just one question how are you going to add wire feet to a balloon:rolleyes:

If you curve the wire round, so that it forms a platform for the balloon to sit upon, it could be taped in place. Feet can be the ends of the wires. It needs to be pretty sturdy or the poor little chick won't stand up.

Layer two completed. Not convinced they will work, but time will tell! Good plan with the feet though, I've also got orange and brown pipe cleaners which I might wrap around the wire afterwards.

ARGH! Bird made, but the wire isn't strong enough to hold the bird up, and keeps buckling. Contemplating sticking two pencils up as legs, but got no way of securing them on the inside, so they, don't wobble. I've not had enough sleep to be doing this kinda engineering!

Sounds fun! Would love to see a pic of the finished birdie :) x

Made me think of the Xmas robin in The Goodlife :)

Back