Parmesan

*angela*

Silver Member
Morning guys and girls...

Bit of advice please... i was looking for parmesan last night in tesco and couldnt find a block of it - only shavings or grated. I know with normal cheese when its grated it doesnt count as a hexa because of the oil but not sure if its the same with parmesan too because the texture seems to be more like a powder consistency... any ideas? And if either the shredded or grated can be hexa what measurement would be allowed? Thanks in advance xx

. . . normal cheese when its grated it doesnt count as a hexa because of the oil . . .

Never heard this before. What oil?

I know that if you buy pre-grated cheese such as cheddar, there are syns because the cheese is coated in some kind of starch to stop it sticking together (which is why the taste and texture are so odd).

But I don't think this applies to ready-grated Parmesan, or shavings, although I don't buy either as it loses its flavour as soon as it is grated. I looked on Tesco website and their own grated Parmesan doesn't have starch added.

Odd that your Tesco didn't have any - the Tesco near me has about six different kinds of block parmesan. Aldi does a good one, if you have a shop near you.

I use the pre grated one and weigh it as a hex. Never heard of pre grated cheese having syns,in fact t I am sure someone asked this at group and the consultant said it was fine

Thanks for the responses... Sorry I didn't mean oil makes it not count as HexA but our consultant has told us when buying cheese not to buy pre grated due to starch ( not oil, silly me) but coz I could only find grated or shredded Parmesan I didn't know if it was standard... I used 50g of grated Parmesan in my risotto tonight+have split it into 2 portions so hopefully I can put this dons at my HexA and not syns xxx

Sent from my iPhone

OK, makes sense now. Yes, quite a lot of pre-grated cheese has starch in it. But usually not Parmesan, as it doesn't tend to stick together when grated. But a look at the ingredients list on the packet will tell you.

I love using Parmesan cheese, you seem to get so much more than normal cheese and it's so tangy!!!

Back