Green Days Pasta Meals

Immis

Hi all,

Can anyone please suggest their fave green pasta meals please?
I crave pasta quite regularly but i'm not the creative sort just to wizz up a lovely pasta dish!!
I made the one that is in the Comfort Foods SW book but wasnt too impressed, not sure if I did something wrong?! Its was a fromage frais receipe.... :confused: I'm not the greatest cook with that!!!

I'm searching for those new Quorn Meatballs everywhere to make with pasta but cant get hold of them anywhere, grrr!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, many thanks x x x

Hi! Why not take a look in the recipe forum above as I'm sure you'll find some ideas there. There are also recipes on ther SW website so that's worth a visit. but don't restrict yourself to SW recipes - many ordinary recipes can be made SW friendly and it really expands the range and variety of meal you can have. My favourite site is www.bbcgoodfood.com

Do you have an Asda near you? If so, you should try their meat free meatballs - much better than quorn and very reasonable syn-wise. :)

I like to cook an arrabiata - spicy tomato dish: quantities to your own taste:

red onion, chilli flakes, chopped toms/ passata - i also normally bring in 112g chicken as a hexb :)

I love making a pasta bake from a Pasta n Sauce mix, choose one that is syn free or low in syns, make up as packet says, only with water...I dont bother with milk and certainly no butter!
Chop some mushrooms, courgette, peppers and add some sweetcorn when cooked. Stick in pre-heated oven with an allowance on the top and eat with syn free chips...delicious!

I love making a pasta bake from a Pasta n Sauce mix, choose one that is syn free or low in syns, make up as packet says, only with water...I dont bother with milk and certainly no butter!
Chop some mushrooms, courgette, peppers and add some sweetcorn when cooked. Stick in pre-heated oven with an allowance on the top and eat with syn free chips...delicious!

That sounds really nice, never thought of doing that, how long do you normally put it in the oven for?

I take it you mean allowance of cheese on the top :). x

I'm not much of a cook either but I made a lovely pasta quiche last night. I made it with pasta n sauce topped with some veg (I used spring onion and mushroom but you could use whatever you have), topped with cottage cheese and egg mixture (mix 3 eggs and about 100g of low fat cottage cheese), topped with sliced tomatoes and cooked in oven for about 30 mins. It was really nice and the only syns are from the pasta n sauce, most are 0 - 2 syns and thats for the whole thing!

My sister makes a pasta bake with roasted vegetables, which is lovely. Just cut up whatever vegetables you like - she uses butternut squash, onions or shallots, mushrooms, courgettes, aubergine, chantenay carrots (tiny ones, whole, or you can cut up ordinary ones) - and spray with frylight and roast in the oven until they are brown at the edges.

Cool, then mix with cooked pasta (she usually uses fusilli - the twisty one!), quark (sometimes she adds some Boursin Light), season, put in a wide dish, put cheese on the top, then cook in the oven until brown and bubbly and crusty on top.

The great thing about this dish is that it is very flexible and doesn't really need a recipe as such, and the whole thing can be prepared in advance and sit in the fridge until you need to cook it.

That sounds really nice, never thought of doing that, how long do you normally put it in the oven for?

I take it you mean allowance of cheese on the top :). x

I suppose about 15mins until the veg has softened, but you could pre-cook them and then grill the "bake" until the cheese is crispy.

I make pasta carbonara pretty often.
Cook some chopped ham or bacon with garlic in frylight and add cooked pasta.
In a jug, whisk together quark (I use half a tub) and 3 eggs with lots of seasoning and fresh parsley if you like.
Stir the mixture into the pasta and bacon mix and warm through gently.
Add either a HEX of parmesan or a sprinkling, whatever you like!

Not sure if you are veggie but if you are you can use that quorn bacon stuff I think!

Here are the sauces I like making

Classic bolognaise (with extra lean mince, free on EE)
Spicy arrabiata
Pasta marinara (tomato sauce with prawns, squid, scallops, mussels. Any seafood you have on hand really!)
Served with lots of roast veggies and topped with a poached egg (I break and mix it in, makes a great sauce :D )
Mac & cheese (SS milk, 1 whole egg, 1 egg yolk and HEA parmesan, whisked and stirred into pasta)
With tomato sauce and artichokes

Here's a link to all sorts of pasta dishes!

pasta : Food Network

My fave pasta meal? Cooked penne topped with baked beans and 42g of RF cheese! :D

The Schwartz Carbonara packet (yes I know!) is only 2 syns per serving plus there's a fab spicy pasta sauce on the SW website!

i normally get a packet of the pasta n sauce and mix in the mixed selection packet of seafood in it (prawns, squid, mussells & crab sticks)

OK, this may sound like a daft question, but what is pasta n sauce? Presumably it is a packet? I don't usually make things from packets, but is this any good?

They are made by Batchelor's and it's a packet of dried pasta accompanied by a powdered sauce. The instruction say to add milk, water and butter but you can get away with just using water which makes them either free or low syn depending on the flavour. If you do a search you'll find they come up regularly as a subject. Personally I wouldn't use them on a regular basis but they are okay if you're in a rush or you can also use them as the basis for a SW quiche.

Thanks for that information, Circes. As I am retired and have time, I am trying to cook all my meals from scratch at the moment - rediscovering the enjoyment in cooking that I used to have.

But that sounds like something worth buying a packet of and popping into the cupboard for an emergency.

thanks again

I like to make a pasta dish using pasta twists and whatever I have in the fridge....mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn, onions, garlic add it all together with some tinned toms and chicken as a HeB or quorn and then sprinkle with cheese HeA. You could also use tuna.

I enjoy having the quorn mince pasta bake in the SW magazine- bpil the pasta and pplace in an oven proof dish, fill the shells with passatta and sprinkle the quorn mince into the pasta then use your healthy extra for cheeese sprknkled ontop for 35 minutes! its lovely adn completly free!

Back