Pasta n Sauce - not free anymore?

Tinsel81

I bought a load of Tesco tomato and onion pasta ready meals, which I'm sure were free when I did SW a couple of years ago, but when I added the one I just ate to the online food diary it said 1.5 syns. Are none of the pasta and sauce type ready meals free anymore then?

The tesco light choices, tomato and cheese pasta bake - chilled 350g is 1.5 syns, just checked it also on sw site.

Perhaps they were free and sw has decided to syn them now, i know quite a few years ago corned beef use to be free on a red day..this is now synned too. :(

Sorry, its a quite low meal though. Do you like the batchelors pasta 'n' sauce tomato and herb? (dry packet) i love these, these are 0 syns.

x

Blimey you're right. Oh no!! Syns online says the pasta and sauce tomato and onion is now 1.5 per 100g cooked. Well, I guess we can either say we've been using it as free without a problem, or count it in or buy Batchelors which is still free! Thanks for letting us know x

I have never understood why SW class the batchelors savoury rice and pasta n sauces etc as free. You only need to look at the ingredients and nutritional value and it is jaw dropping really. They are not particularly healthy. Made me wonder if SW had some shares in Batchelors lol

Hmm, yes, that is a bit suss. I don't want to shell out on brand name stuff really.

I'd actually decided to stay away from the packet meals this time, as I know they're full of processed rubbish and I can make my own easily enough, but stuffed a load away in the back of the cupboard for emergencies (like today when I was in a rush). Wish I hadn't bothered now! 1.5 syns is pretty good I suppose, but I could have made my own for free and spent the 1.5 on a couple of mini eggs instead!

It just goes to show I shouldn't assume anything just because I've been a member before. They are obviously updating the plan all the time.

I have never understood why SW class the batchelors savoury rice and pasta n sauces etc as free. You only need to look at the ingredients and nutritional value and it is jaw dropping really. They are not particularly healthy. Made me wonder if SW had some shares in Batchelors lol

OMG I'm gonna pretend I didn't see this I literally LIVE on Batchelor's savoury rice :sigh:

I make my pasta 'n' sauce with just water (tomato and herb flavour) and
Don't use the milk or butter.. If you use the milk I guess you can from your healthy a allowance but the butter would be synned. Hope I'm right anyway lol :)

I think morrisons tomato and herb pasta is free? Or it used to be anyway, that's not branded if that helps?

I make my pasta 'n' sauce with just water (tomato and herb flavour) and
Don't use the milk or butter.. If you use the milk I guess you can from your healthy a allowance but the butter would be synned. Hope I'm right anyway lol :)
That's the way I understand it too! - I have a few of these in the store cupboard, but never use them!

Glad they are branded though ;) (Bachelors)

I suppose it depends whether the syn value is given as "made as directed" in which case that value would include butter and milk, or "made with water". The batchelor's ones are listed in the second way but others may not. Can someone clarify?

Last edited:
Well, I didn't put butter or milk in mine so maybe it's ok? Think I will just put it down to experience anyway and be more careful in future.

It does say "made up as directed" on the online diary listing, so maybe the 1.5 syns is for the butter. Might ask my consultant tomorrow.

Ok, I asked my consultant about this last night and she said the "made as directed" syn value would include the butter and these are still free if made without milk or butter, so that's good, I can still eat the rest of the ones I bought.

Back