PASTA SAUCES...????? HELP!!!!

janerobs22

Hi everyone.....just wondered if anybody knew which pasta sauce (jar or packet) is low in syns?? I love pasta bake but dont have time to make a sauce from scratch. Help! Thank you. x

It's better to make pasta sauces from scratch, try using Passata or chopped tomatoes both free foods as your base, the jar sauces tend to be quite high in syns.

Jar sauces are very high in syns and most jars/packets contain quite a lot of sugar.

Best making your own sauces when you have time and then just freezing portions to use when you need to make something quickly.

Passata, chopped tinned toms, and a variety of veg make superb sauces and you can adjust the taste to make it spicy or plain.

I agree with Donnie - use a passata base and add to it whatever you fancy. I throw in mushrooms, onions, syn in some bacon if I fancy it and peppers depending if we have any in.

If you ever do have the time, making a tomato and red pepper base is easy and takes no time at all (I tend to make a batch in 20mins) and it's good as a soup or thicken it as a base for pasta sauce.

Good luckx

It really takes no time at all to make a sauce!
chop some onion, peppers, garlic, carrot, whatever you like - soften in fry light (5 mins) add a tin of toms or jar/packet of passata, a tsp of sweetener and simmer for 10 mins. Leave chunky or blitz. My daughter has this blitzed and we have it chunky.
Syn free!! If you make a huge batch with double/triple quantities you can freeze it.

As an example though, dolmio light bolognaise sauce is 12 1/2 syns for a 750g jar.

Agree make your own. If you set an half an hour aside to make a huge batch of sauce then freeze them in portions you will definately be doing yourself a favour. Jars/packets are realy high in syns and just not worth it. If you make a relitavely plain sauce to freeze, you can then add different herbs and spices to them when defrosted to vary the taste. Passatta is another great way to make sauces as its quick, easy and free. just cut the top off the box and away you go, just as easy as opening a jar. Happy cooking. xx

Thanks alot for all your replies. I think i need 2 take the time to make my own and freeze it like you said. I will give it a try...fingers crossed!x

Back