Pataks's Madras Sauce 31 1/2 Syns????

judywoody

We just had a curry and my husband wanted to cook - I usually don't touch canned sauces but he said he would like to use it as a base. So I went and found this can and looked at the ingredients and thought "well - it can't be that bad..." ... So we had our dinner and I didn't know how many syns it had but he made it with quorn and rice so I only needed to syn the sauce..As I still had 8 syns left I just thought "that'll do" - thinking I overestimated a bit anyway...But out of curiosity I checked anyway. I don't have access to a syns calculator but I googled it and found this:

http://www.minimins.com/syn-values/182279-pataks-tikka-masala-concentrated-curry.html

Someone said it was 31 1/2 syns for the whole can??? WTH???

I checked the ingredients again AND the calorie content. And it doesn't have anything in it I wouldn't put into the sauce myself: Tomatoe Puree, Vegetable Oil and spices...that's it - not a single unnatural additive. Then I checked the calories and went by the 20 calories = 1 syn rule...And even if you counted every single onion and the tomato it would still "only" be 17.5 syns for the whole can.
It's 123 kcal per 100 g and the can contains 283 g.

Sorry but I can't believe that I just spent 15 syns on a flipping can of Madras sauce!!!

I told my hubby to use passata but he had no idea how to turn it into an indian sauce and he didn't want me to get involved...I was glad I could at least get him to use quorn and fry light...I think I'll go to bed crying :cry:

Unless someone can clarify that this was a mistake on SW's part :)

Edit: Ok, it contains sugar, too..I just realized..which I personally never put into sauces..don't really understand who came up with this stupi idea...but it still doesn't change the calorie content...

Last edited:
It will be 1 syn for every 20 calories so 6 syns per 100g or 17.5 for the whole can

The syns will come from the oil at 6 per tbsp.

But don't worry, it's only one meal of the 21 you will have this week - just don't let feeling crap about this affect the rest of your week

ETA the recipe must have changed since the post you refer to above

Thanks .. puts my mind at ease a bit :)

But the post is only 5 month old?? (december 2010) can anyone double-check using the calculator?

Just had look slimming world online and it says 17.5 for the can. The madras curry paste is 2 syns per level tbsp so that might work better with canned tomatoes for next time. Tandoori curry paste is 1/2 syn per level tbsp so that one is even better!

The 2011 SW Food directory lists a 283g can of Patak's Madras curry cooking sauce at 31.5 syns

How does that work?

Do you mean the SW 2011 food directory?
If so, it is a book that I bought in class.

But, I am equally confused, because the SW syns online quote it as 17.5 syns.

Last edited:
I must admit, i'm a stickler from making stuff from scratch, but those madras, vindaloo, phal, korma etc. sauces are worth the syns. Just add a few ingredients, mushrooms,onion,chicken or prawn etc. and simmer real slowly.

Depending on the size of jar, you can get 2,3 or even 4 portions. Decant them into foil takeaway-type boxes and reheat in the oven as they taste even better next day!

A guilty pleasure of mine.

patak's do canned and jar sauces, maybe the difference in syns is for different types?

as Circes posted, the best thing to do is look at the calories and it will be 1 syn for every 20 calories, as there is no free food allowance in sauces. The calculator will work out the syns in exactly the same way when there is no free food allowance.

Aww I am confused a 295g jar of pataks divided by recommended portion for say a curry for 2 people (Kashmiri masala one by the way) is 36.8g but the calories are per 100g and are 244 cals so trying to work this out is proving a nightmare
Ge to 122 for 50g so thats 10 syns (5 for two people) but its less isnt it?

Aww I am confused a 295g jar of pataks divided by recommended portion for say a curry for 2 people (Kashmiri masala one by the way) is 36.8g but the calories are per 100g and are 244 cals so trying to work this out is proving a nightmare
Ge to 122 for 50g so thats 10 syns (5 for two people) but its less isnt it?

If this is the Kashmiri masala curry paste, it is 2 syns per 15g, which is the same as a level tablespoon, hope this helps you.

Oh dear, I am really confused now..ok I go by the calories...which will be 17.5 syns for the whole can :)

Phew...

Even though the 2011 syn directory says 31.5 syns it is only accurate at the point in time when it is compiled. We are now six months into the year and as syn values change all the time the directory is out of date probably before it even hit the classes. The recipe, and therefore the syn value, for the can of curry has obviously changed since the beginning of the year.

Back