PCOS - False Pregnancy Test Readings?

Brownie_Earthquake

Hey everyone,

Can anyone here confirm in their experience as to whether having PCOS can result in getting a false reading on a pregnancy test?

I have two GP's, one told me that if you have PCOS it can give you a false or incorrect reading when you use a pregnancy test.

My second GP today told me that this is totally incorrect and PCOS will not give you an incorrect reading. He even went as far to say that there is no medical condition at all that will give an incorrect reading.

I am so confused! Does anyone here have any opinions on this subject?

Thanks.

Hi!
I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2004.
This is something I have never heard of.

This is definitely not true! A pregnancy test only shows positive when the pregnancy hormone is present, and this is not present in PCOS ladies unless you are pregnant.

Muppets like that GP should keep their traps shut IMO!

Thanks for the responses... looks like my first GP was very, very wrong! Apparently the ovulation tests can give false readings if you are PCOS - I don't know which of my GP's to trust, they both contradict each other all the time!!!

ovulation tests and pregnancy tests are very different, so don't confuse the two. They monitor different hormones, so did your gp tell you that you can get false reading with a pregnancy test or an ovulation test???

PCOS CAN result in having a false reading on a pregnancy test.

This happened to me personally. I had all of the pregnancy symptoms so I purchased several at-home pregnancy tests. All of them appeared negative. I scheduled a doctor's appointment to have a pregnancy test and that was negative too. Still unconvinced, I had a pregnancy test using blood instead of urine and it showed positive. That was 3 years ago =) Many studies show blood tests to be more accurate, especially in women with PCOS...

Thanks so much for your comment Jenn :)

Trim T - my GP told me you can get an incorrect result on a pregnancy test, not an ovulation test - but apparently ovulation tests can also show up incorrectly with PCOS, too. But I have not used an ovulation test so I don't know this personally, just from a little research :)

My midwife told me that you CAN NOT get a false positive on a pregnancy test it is medically impossible. (this was two weeks ago) If its positive your pregnant.

You can get a false negative simply because the hormone is too dilated in the urine.

With ovulating tests some months I was ovulating everyday apparently lol so they can be incorrect simply because with pcos your hormones are totally imbalanced most of the time - some months blood tests showed me as producing the hormone for breastmilk but I wasn't pregnant or had any children to breadtfeed!

After losing 2 stone my pcos disappeared and after losing 3 stone 5lbs total I'm 11 weeks pregnant :)

X x x

Back