PCOS treatment after a baby

sarah_lou1981

Back again!!
I was diagnosed with PCOS and endometriosis at the end of 2011. Both ovaries are polycystic and I have approx one period a year. I've never had any kind of treatment for it. My BMI is currently 35 and has been as high as 39 but as low as 25 when I was younger but no matter what my weight is I've always struggled with hardly having any periods and the ones I do have are ridiculously heavy. The only time they've been under control is when I was on the pill. Luckily I don't struggle with excess hair and I can lose weight, it just goes on VERY fast if I don't watch what I eat.

I tried to conceive with my ex husband for a couple of years with no luck and started ttc with my new partner in August 2011. After a laparoscopy in March 2013 I found out I was pregnant six weeks later and had our little boy on New Years Eve. During my pregnancy I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes and was on both Metformin and insulin (which I had to stop taking straight after labour). I'm not sure whether the diabetes has gone as I've not yet had my six week check.

I'd like to be able to regulate my periods so if we try for a second baby I've got a 'normal' cycle. I'm on Weight Watchers and have already lost the 30lbs I gained during pregnancy and am now a pound less than my pre pregnancy weight. I've got about 4.5 stone to be in the 'healthy' weight range, which I want to do by Cole's first birthday.

My question really is had anyone had treatment for PCOS after having a baby and what was it? I was fine on Metformin (I know some people aren't) but would they give it just to control PCOS or is it just for people with diabetes or trying to conceive? Or any other tips as to how to control my PCOS, other than diet and exercise as I'm already doing that, would be gratefully accepted!!

Back