PCOS

sully123

Hi. I've just been diagnosed with PCOS after years of trying to get doctors to pay attention! I have also been trying to get pregnant for 2 1/2 years. Is there anyone else on SW with PCOS? Just looking for a bit of advice :)

sully123 said:
Hi. I've just been diagnosed with PCOS after years of trying to get doctors to pay attention! I have also been trying to get pregnant for 2 1/2 years. Is there anyone else on SW with PCOS? Just looking for a bit of advice :)

Hi yeah I have pcos I got diagnosed at 17-18 so over a decade ago how are you doing?

Hi! I'm ok, just glad I've finally got a diagnosis and wondering what the doctors next step will be . I've thought I've had it for a long time but it's taken years to get doctors to take me seriously x

sully123 said:
Hi! I'm ok, just glad I've finally got a diagnosis and wondering what the doctors next step will be . I've thought I've had it for a long time but it's taken years to get doctors to take me seriously x

The docs have put me on a strong pill that will "give my ovaries a rest" as I'm not trying to conceive but I'm sure there is lots they can do to help you :) I'm hoping mine will get better as my weight decreases :) it always helps :)

Yeah I'm hoping loosing weight will help me too. Which plan do you follow, EE red or green? I've read a low carb diet is best for PCOS but meat is so expensive whereas green days are so mug cheaper x

sully123 said:
Yeah I'm hoping loosing weight will help me too. Which plan do you follow, EE red or green? I've read a low carb diet is best for PCOS but meat is so expensive whereas green days are so mug cheaper x

Yeah I have lots of friends who have pcos and we all find carbs are not great for weight loss. I started with 5 weeks EE and lost 4, 1.5, 1, 0.5 and 1.5 which is not bad for me as I lose slower than most people on every plan. I'm trying a mixture this week 3 red 2 green and 2 EE to see if it makes a difference. I know most of my friends find exercise really helps with weight loss with pcos but sadly I can't do very much exercise due to another medical condition so diet is my only real option :)
I think I probably would lose best with red days but I find them harder to stick to so I'm going to try a mixture :)

I haven't been diagnosed but my doctor said she thinks I have it (I was supposed to get ovary scan but cancelled) I find it really hard to lose when I eat a lot of carbs, my losses have been better when I did red days. I exercise every day too which probably helps and is getting me fitter :)

d14 said:
I haven't been diagnosed but my doctor said she thinks I have it (I was supposed to get ovary scan but cancelled) I find it really hard to lose when I eat a lot of carbs, my losses have been better when I did red days. I exercise every day too which probably helps and is getting me fitter :)

I think this is def the best way for pcos, red days and exercise and your loses have been fab haven't they d14? I'm throwing in some EE to keep me sane though lol

I have had Pcos for well over 10 years and fibroids and like many others have spent years struggling to lose weight. Docs in the past have given me metformin and a tablet like alli but both made me feel ill, Also done ww, atkins, dukan etc with little or no luck. I have been doing sw for 13 weeks now and lost 16lbs!! And the thing is it has been the easiest diet and do not feel hungry or deprived. I was worried at first in doing extra easy days because as you have said advice for pcos sufferers is to avoid carbs but i have been eating pasta/potatoes/rice and still had good steady weight loss.
Keep at it and good luck :)

Hey I'm a PCOS girly too :) I have always struggled with my weight & all the other symptoms *sigh* but losing weight really has helped me :D

When I originally did SW 4 years ago I did mainly green & always lost at least 2lb a week. Low carb/low GI is good for PCOS but not always easy - I'd try & see how you go. If your bloods are ok (ie not too glucose intolerant) you'll be ok with carbs anyway. Exercise will also help regulate blood sugars (you could always look at diabetic options if your bloods are a bit on the wild side!) But also remember us PCOS sufferers often crave carbs!

I'm now doing EE (first week) & lost 3lb. But finding it so much easier. Even if my losses are slow I know it's good for my health. Certainly the original 3 stone I lost made my acne almost clear up! Just 4 more to go...

Charli XxX

Wow thank you for all your replies! Not feeling so down about it now. I know losing weight is the best thing I can do to help myself, it's just so hard. I've had a bad week diet wise this week. I tried doing green but can't get the hang of it do switching back to EE as of tomorrow. Going to try and exercise daily too. I'm on anti depressants at the moment as I've been quite down. My biggest problem is finding energy to exercise. I'm going to the gym tomorrow morning with a friend do hopefully will get back on track from tomorrow onwards. Im going to stick to EE for a while, I know my losses will probably be slower but I can't live without carbs lol xxx

I have PCOS. Was diagnosed in september last year (after finally trusting another doctor (first one i mentioned the problem too 5 years before told me to come back when I was trying for children)). Its been an uphill struggle tbh. I'm on slimming world but as you can see from my stats weight isn't moving fast whatever I do. I didn't get periods at all so was put on the pill, which made me depressed to the point of suicidal, so got took off them, put on progestin only pill and that gave me bad headaches. Now shes given me another pill which i should start in a few weeks once this one is out of my system, but I have other ideas. I went the health shop yesterday and have started taken Agnus Castus (or Chasteberry as its also known) which is suppose to help balance the female hormones and help PCOS...so giving that a whirl.

But anyway, I am now exercising regularly, or as regularly as my job allows, and eating the SW way, weight is slowly shifting but its slower than a sleeping snail.

Ally89 said:
I have PCOS. Was diagnosed in september last year (after finally trusting another doctor (first one i mentioned the problem too 5 years before told me to come back when I was trying for children)). Its been an uphill struggle tbh. I'm on slimming world but as you can see from my stats weight isn't moving fast whatever I do. I didn't get periods at all so was put on the pill, which made me depressed to the point of suicidal, so got took off them, put on progestin only pill and that gave me bad headaches. Now shes given me another pill which i should start in a few weeks once this one is out of my system, but I have other ideas. I went the health shop yesterday and have started taken Agnus Castus (or Chasteberry as its also known) which is suppose to help balance the female hormones and help PCOS...so giving that a whirl.

But anyway, I am now exercising regularly, or as regularly as my job allows, and eating the SW way, weight is slowly shifting but its slower than a sleeping snail.

I don't get periods at all either if I'm not on the pill and some pills did make me evil :S hope the new one works better x

I don't get periods at all either if I'm not on the pill and some pills did make me evil :S hope the new one works better x

The combined pill was awful, the other one was even worse. I haven't started these others but I've started taking Agnus Castus and i got a period last night...put whether thats because of the tablet I took for 3 days, its just come natural for the first time in 5 years or its the Agnus Castus, I don't know. I'm supposed to start taking these new tablets in a few weeks, but i'm gonna hold off for 6 weeks and see if I get another one next month, I'm hoping its the agnus castus/natural rather than the pill thats caused it. *fingers crossed*

Hi there,
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8-9 years ago just after we got married and wanted to start a family. I was told at that time i had to lose weight before they would consider treating us any further ........... i managed to lose quite a lot of weight and then all of a sudden it happened for us and we had our beautiful daughter Lucy who is now 7 years old and 18 months ago we were lucky to be blessed again with a son called Luke - dont ever give up hope xxx

juneduggan said:
Hi there,
I was diagnosed with PCOS about 8-9 years ago just after we got married and wanted to start a family. I was told at that time i had to lose weight before they would consider treating us any further ........... i managed to lose quite a lot of weight and then all of a sudden it happened for us and we had our beautiful daughter Lucy who is now 7 years old and 18 months ago we were lucky to be blessed again with a son called Luke - dont ever give up hope xxx

Thank you for sharing your story, this has given me do much hope :) x

Back