People's neg comments about CD?

Thanks ((Hugs)) I can't believe it's taken me this long to realise it! lol As a teen/early 20's I was super fit and active (twice a day) in one sport or another.. this eased and this is when my weight truly scaled.
I didn't do anything for a long time, now I am still relatively active, but not nearly as much as I was. So.. It's been very enlightening recently to learn a lot more about diet rather than just 'do' a diet..

I have rabbited away in my diary so it's there to keep on this topic. :)

Porgeous love the dress!

PH life is all about learning and you have learnt something very valuable for when your journey ends. Porgeous i am 5ft7 and 1400 - 1600 is good for me and I go to the gym so I really think you must do the steps correctly and dont rush. Look at you you have done so well now for a while and are inspirational to us all.

PH good luck darl.

Bren
X

Thanks Bren ((hugs)) you have done so well and look gorgeous! :) It's interesting that you are still a lot taller than me, yet need a lot less than I'd have thought.. this is definately going to be an interesting journey.

When you start to refeed, you need to bear in mind that your body is not going to need as many calories to maintain as it did before you lost the weight. Thats one very important reason for following the steps - you'll need to increase your intake slowly so that you can find a point where you maintain - by doing this carefully you wont gain any weight. If you just went straight up to your previous normal maintenance cals from SSing, your poor body would cling onto everything you put in and you'd like gain weight very quickly.
My 'before' maintenance cals were 1700 - after losing nearly 7 stone I now maintain at 1200. Maintaining is all about maths - cals in v cals out. As long as you are sticking religiously to this you wont put on any weight!

My 'before' maintenance cals were 1700 - after losing nearly 7 stone I now maintain at 1200.

:eek: That's low. Have you tried pushing it up?

Whilst going up the plans, I maintained on 1200, but moved up anyway. Maintained again on 1500, but moved up anyway :D

Eventually settled on 1800 which is about right for my weight and age etc (5 foot 6).

It's scary pushing it up, but was worth it for me :)

Obviously it will depend on your height etc.

Whilst going up the plans, I maintained on 1200, but moved up anyway. Maintained again on 1500, but moved up anyway :D

Eventually settled on 1800 which is about right for my weight and age etc (5 foot 6).

Was thinking the same, seems awfully low hun, I'm a shorty at only 5ft 1 but still pack away about 1650/1700.

xx

Hi all,

I'm guessing the steps up are super important. I've been doing them for 4 weeks now and hadn't gained much till I added carbs in the form of bread. :) I instantly gained weight. Hoping that me doing this step for about 3 weeks will let my body get used to it again :)

I think steps up are important, not just for finding the right balance. You learn a lot about yourself from the blips / victories you have while doing the steps up! :)

Go steps! :''))

(If this all sound s very weird it's coz I'm delirious coz of all my cough syrup.. xcuse me *^_^*)

x

I've been doing them for 4 weeks now and hadn't gained much till I added carbs in the form of bread. :) I instantly gained weight.

Exactly the same happened to me. I added a slice, gained 1 or 2lbs (can't remember). Added it the next day, gained again:eek: Frightened me to death.

Still...kept adding it :D It came off again, and now I eat bread without a problem.

Exactly the same happened to me. I added a slice, gained 1 or 2lbs (can't remember). Added it the next day, gained again:eek: Frightened me to death.

Still...kept adding it :D It came off again, and now I eat bread without a problem.

I just posted on L's diary, bread has the same effect on me... why does it happen, does bread cause water retention??

I think it's because bread is pure evil.

(I love bread. LOVE bread. Don't like it much now though ;-) hahah)

x

Oh yes! I have maintained for well over a year and know for a fact that increasing cals puts weight on - my PT is in full agreement with me, we've tried all sorts! I have always had a slow metabolism, which is how I gained 7 stone in the first place through eating what most people would consider a 'normal' diet. I know quite a few others who maintain on 1100-1300 too - its just a fact of life! I'm not complaining about it in the least - would rather be thinner and a little hungry than fat and full any day :D

I just posted on L's diary, bread has the same effect on me... why does it happen, does bread cause water retention??

No, not really. I'm not 100% sure of the answer, but think it's a mix of a few things.

If you restrict a certain food for some time, it can lead you to hold more water at the beginning of the reintroduction, than before. This isn't a bad thing, not really retaining water, but replacing previously lost water.

It could be the sodium in the bread, but then there's sodium in the shakes, so not sure of that one.

If on the 810 (or 790 if you did that), you chose the zero carb meat such as fish, the added carbs when bread is added could be enough to add a bit more glycogen than if you had..say...the cottage cheese in the earlier step which has carbs in it.

Of course, nothing wrong with glycogen. It pumps your muscles up :D

What does happen sometimes is that people restrict things like bread when dieting (as you need to on the lower plans of CD), then have a slice...panic...and then decide they are allergic to bread, wheat, etc. Or the bread gives them IBS symptoms (which is also explainable when you reintroduce it), but they assume they now have digestion problems.

All these things usually settle down if you continue to eat it in sensible amounts.

But the scales scare people and they often don't give the foods a chance.

KD, you know when you do the maintenance steps and you gain a lb or 2 or 3 when you introduce carbs, do you feel it?

KD, you know when you do the maintenance steps and you gain a lb or 2 or 3 when you introduce carbs, do you feel it?

Yep, usually my stomach extends :eek: Look 6 months pregnant, though I'm sure others wouldn't agree. Just feels like that to me.

Even now, I can really see a 2-3lbs gain.

Strictly speaking, if you do the plans, the added glycogen is counterbalanced with the reduced calories.

So, you do continue to lose weight, but the added carbs mean you gain so it balances out over the week

Some people continue to lose weight throughout the 'steps'. I stayed the same. The added bread which caused a raise on the scales went again a few days later.

No, not really. I'm not 100% sure of the answer, but think it's a mix of a few things.

If you restrict a certain food for some time, it can lead you to hold more water at the beginning of the reintroduction, than before. This isn't a bad thing, not really retaining water, but replacing previously lost water.

It could be the sodium in the bread, but then there's sodium in the shakes, so not sure of that one.

If on the 810 (or 790 if you did that), you chose the zero carb meat such as fish, the added carbs when bread is added could be enough to add a bit more glycogen than if you had..say...the cottage cheese in the earlier step which has carbs in it.

Of course, nothing wrong with glycogen. It pumps your muscles up :D

What does happen sometimes is that people restrict things like bread when dieting (as you need to on the lower plans of CD), then have a slice...panic...and then decide they are allergic to bread, wheat, etc. Or the bread gives them IBS symptoms (which is also explainable when you reintroduce it), but they assume they now have digestion problems.

All these things usually settle down if you continue to eat it in sensible amounts.

But the scales scare people and they often don't give the foods a chance.

Thanks! Really interesting especially as I noticed the last time I ate bread I didn't get the normal gain. As you say possibly my body has gotten used to it again as I have increased the frequency of how often I eat it although still only a few times a week. I find it fascinating as, for example, bagels don't have the same effect on me. The body is a weird and wonderful thing!

x

Great thread and some very interesting points about losing, maintaining and beyond.

I have a Body Composition Monitor which tells me how many calories I am allowed (in the following 24 hours) for me to maintain my current weight. At 5'7" and around 238lb, it is suggesting just over 2000. Not sure how accurate that really is, but is should be pretty close considering how much I paid for it. It just goes to show that our intake should actually be less than most people realise.

I see CD as part of a cure for an unhealthy lifestyle and is available to anyone who wants to lose weight quickly and safely. It doesn't just help you lose weight and then leave you stranded, as it has steps to ease you into your healthier lifestyle. The important thing to think about is that you can’t change your lifestyle just by doing CD for 6 months, or any period of time. Losing the weight is only part of the battle and if you don’t take the necessary action to change, you will re-gain the weight. No one is being forced to do CD, you have to choose if it is the right way for yourself. If you can’t work towards changing your bad habits, then CD is both pointless and a waste of money.

Those are just my thoughts anyway. :)

Mat you are a man and men need slightly more calories. I would say according to what Porgeous and KD have said about the amount they eat it does sound about right.

I like this thread too. I know am not at the end of SS but am already thinking of thing that I will cut out. I know for sure I won't be having sugar, sweetners are just as good. Any more tips KD & Porgeous on what you used to have but have found a good substitute?

Mat you are a man and men need slightly more calories. I would say according to what Porgeous and KD have said about the amount they eat it does sound about right.

I like this thread too. I know am not at the end of SS but am already thinking of thing that I will cut out. I know for sure I won't be having sugar, sweetners are just as good. Any more tips KD & Porgeous on what you used to have but have found a good substitute?

On the whole I have tried not to cut anything out but just to cut back, I was worried that if I ended up feeling like I was constantly depriving myself or on a diet it would be counter productive. A couple of substitutes I have done however are sweetners in stead of sugar and low fat spread instead of butter (most of the time!).

xx

On the whole I have tried not to cut anything out but just to cut back, I was worried that if I ended up feeling like I was constantly depriving myself or on a diet it would be counter productive. A couple of substitutes I have done however are sweetners in stead of sugar and low fat spread instead of butter (most of the time!).

xx

That sounds very sensible. If I'd tell myself '' oh you can't ever have that again'' I would eventually buy it out of frustration and pig out on it! If I tell myself I can have everything but the 'bad' just in small amounts it's a lot better :)

There are things I could easily cut out or replace e.g. deserts, fruit instead of other sugary deserts etc. or even skipping it. :)

I think it'd be important for me to learn to eat things in small amounts instead of pigging out :) Will be a valuable lesson :)

x

Whether ya put the weight on again or not has to be something to do with your ownself. Ya either want to be thin or ya dont. If ya get yourself in the right frame of mind then ya should have no problem. With Cd ya have add a meal week which introduces ya to food but if ya stick to the usual calories instead of the old ones that ya ate and eat in moderation then ya should be fine. Personally if I lose 10 stone I will make darn I dont put the 10 stone back on again, its not failing anyone else but myself if I do. So get yourself in the right frame of mind and take each day as it comes!!

I have found this thread really interesting, as I had a discussion when I first started this diet with my brother when I was explaining it to him (he was looking at my like I had two heads at the time:eek:)

I said that I have pretty much been on one diet or another for over 22 years of my 36 years of living, I KNOW what I need to do, I know more about healthy eating then most 'normal' people, I can calorie count with the best of them, I know that my calorie intake and output have to be equal or I will gain weight..........the problem I have is that at my size (20stone 6lbs at the time) losing 2lbs here, gaining it again, losing it again has no impact, all that happens is that I get completely demoralized and give up yet again....and that has an affect on my confidence and my self belief because yet again I have given up - a downward spiral.......

Over the years of dieting I have picked up tools and I am reading and researching for more so that when I get to my goal I am equipped for the real battle. For me CD is just another tool, it is getting the results that no other diet has done, I have achieved more in the past 3 months then I ever thought possible, and now I dare to believe that I will do it.

I have been watching my 'thin' friends, and learning how the deal with food, I have paid particular attention to how they view food. That if they have a blow out today in one meal, then they cut back on the other meals that day and the next, sounds so logical but would have been alien to me before CD. They have 1 or 2 biscuits/chocolates and they are satisfied, why?, cause they got the taste, they enjoyed it and they don't feel the need to eat it all, they can leave it where it is, they can have more tomorrow if they fancy it.

My brother still thinks I am mad, he doesn't know how I have done it for 3 months, but as I said to him 'I determind to do it' and once I explained the most important part of the diet was the slow reintroduction of food he seemed more accepting of it. To be honest I think he is fascinated with how I 'don't' eat:rolleyes:

Back