Perhaps a silly question for all you atkins pros!

Beth3107

What is the difference between carbs and net carbs and which figure should I count towards my 20g a day.

Thanks in advance oh wonderful and knowledgable people xxxx

Net carbs are the total carbs minus dietary fibre. UK labels already have them subtracted so your total carb figure would be the net carbs and its the net ones you count.

One issue though, vegtables if you by them in packaging they should show net carb values, but if like me i get them from a farm out the ground you have to deduct the fibre to calculate the net value.Thus use Jims carb calculator

Carb Counter

Ahh Thankyou! We have an allotment and grow our own veggies so I've actually been eating less carbs than I thought as havnt worked out the fibre Thingy on my own veggies. Thats great! I swear I read the Atkins book TWiCE. It's just so hard to digest all that info! Thanks again x

Correct best way grow own or use a local farm well done yes you are having less, looking at a carrot on the link i sent you thought they was 12g per cup but as they are fresh take the fibre off to get the ecc and they work out to be 8.9g ish.

Stephen

Thanks for the help! Such a friendly forum!! X

Beth, I never weighed love, I just used 3 mugs of chopped green leaf veggies a day. I call it the KISS principle Keep It Simple Stupid.

do you minus the fibre off American products sold in UK? ie doritos (cant think of anything else American lol) or are the labels adapted for the country in which they are sold

Doritos sold in this country are actually british. England has it's own labelling so never minus the fibre from a british product unless it's been imported directly from america, which you'll mostly only find in speciality shops.

Back