Phoenyx's INSANITY diary!

Phoenyx

Step away from the cake..
Insanity arrived yesterday, and I was so excited I couldn't wait til Monday to start! I'm following the paleo diet which is generally low carb but if I struggle I'll introduce sweet potatoes, bananas etc.

Here's my starting stats:

Weight: 12 stone, 7.6 lbs
Body fat (according to very dodgy scales): 40.3% (yikes!)

Waist: 35.5 inches
Hips: 43.5 inches
Biceps: 12
Upper arm: 12-25 inches
Thigh: 27
Calf: 15.5
Chest: 33.5 / 41.5

Will fill in the rest of my measurements later

Insanity fit test results:
Switch kicks: 55
Power jacks: 43
Power knees: 85
Power jumps: 24
Globe jumps: 8
Suicide jumps (burpees): 23
Push up jacks: 12 (I only went about 3/4 the way down! Mind you, I was surprised I could do any!)
Low plank obliques: 25

Here goes! I've got 2 weeks then I'm away at a boot camp for 4 days (where I'll be doing about 10 hours exercise a day, so not exactly a break...). So my first target is complete 2 weeks and redo the fitness test.

Last edited:
Interestingly, the info sent though on nutrition suggests that my basal metabolic rate is 1551 (sounds about right compared to other calculators I've used), the. They suggest I multiply it by an activity factor of 1.55 or 1.7 (moderately or very active, because of doing insanity) then deduct 500 cals for weight loss. This gives me a calorie target for weight loss of 1904 - 2137 a day, which is well over what I currently eat. This supports my theory that I binge because I'm not eating enough, and I'm going to give this higher level a go :) better go find something to eat :) :) :)

Day 2: cardio circuit, 44 mins, hr 161-169
Cals eaten: 1898 / carbs: 78g / cals burned: insanity 411 / net cals 1487

Yuck! It was horrible! I'm almost glad I paid a fortune for it, coz otherwise I might give up!

It is well produced, the warm up is intense but that's so your heart rate stays up during the stretch (and so you know you're a third of the way through and don't just give up then!)

It's basically 3 mins of nutty moves followed by 30 seconds rest.

I used this v good site to calculate max hr http://www.brianmac.co.uk/maxhr.htm, and went for the higher of the female specific calculations which was 176 bpm.

This makes 60% of my hr 106 bpm and 80% of my hr 141 bpm.

Throughout the workout my heart rate was between 161-166, with the odd rise to 169 bpm!!! Well into the anaerobic zone.

Last edited:
Day 3: cardio power & resistance
Cals eaten: 1785 / carbs: 92g / cals burned: insanity 391, mowing the lawn 276 / net cals 1118

Didn't ache this morning :) I did the second disc - cardio power and resistance this morning. I had a banana first, and felt fine. Again, it's hard work. Similar format but think I preferred this one.

Heart rate stayed in high 150s and 160s the whole time, hrm says 391 cals burned.

This time, I followed the workout with breakfast (full fat greek yoghurt, nuts and berries) and so far, not struggling combining this with low carb (I've upped the carb level a bit and it seems to be working fine)

It takes me ages to cool down - it took about 15 mins after the cool down for my heart rate to return to below 100 bpm, and I was still sweating about 30 mins after! Which may be a problem as I want to do the workouts before work in September, but I can't put my make up on until I completely stop sweating!!!

Last edited:
bulldogdaisy said:
Wow I take my hat off to you! Sounds like alot of hard work! Are you taking before and after pictures/measurements?

Measurements are in the first post, although I still need to add arms and thighs...I did a before photo - its horrible so I'm saving that one until I look v different!

Day 4: cardio recovery

I love this one! I woke up achey this morning - not terrible but I could definitely feel it in my shoulders (from press ups) and legs (from squat jumps). I had a bit of a struggle resisting the urge to lie in bed and eat chocolate, but finally got round to doing the cardio recovery workout.

32 mins, lots of strength moves but on their own, not combined with cardio. I couldn't complete the squat or lunge holds and pulses without quick rests, but I know I'll feel them in my legs tomorrow and I did feel surprisingly strong during the workout. It wasnt a muscle recovery by any means, but definitely a good rest for my heart rate which topped out at 20bpm below the other workouts in the 140s, and was only there briefly. Burned a measly 185 cals. If I had any energy id go for a run, but I can't help feeling I'll need all my spare energy for the next week!

Oh and I jumped on the scales - body fat down to 39.9% (-0.4%) but weight up just over a pound. I know it's probably water though - damaged muscles retain more water.

Last edited:
Well done for getting out of bed and getting on with it! Sounds like its working well for you,Doh bout the measurements being in the first post,sorry,yea weight gain can happen when upping exercise so that will soon come off.Good news about the bodyfat :0)

Back