Pickle87 and her NHS challenge, being a mummy and becoming me.

Pickle87

Hello.

I rejoined Slimming World last week weighing 26 stone 13lb! Mahoosive. I joined because after having a c-section 12 weeks ago I developed a haematoma and then cellulitis. The damage to my soft tissue from those meant my tummy was weak and I ended up with a massive hernia. I thought losing weight would not only help me be more fit and healthy for my little boy but would make surgery for a hernia repair easier/safer.

I had an appointment at the hospital about my hernia today and was told I'm too big to operate on as it would just rupture and I would end up with another hernia, so the gauntlet was thrown down. Lose weight and I can have the op. Lose even more weight and the consultant will arrange for the plastic surgeons to operate at the same time and remove the excess skin on my stomach. What an opportunity!!

The doctor said she wants me to lose at least 5 stone but that to have the skin removed I need to get down to a BMI of 30. I'm currently at a BMI of 51! I will be having reviews every four months so hopefully in 4 months time I will have made good progress.

So....in the big picture I need to go from 26 stone 13lb to 16 stone 10lb. - total weight loss needed is 143lb. That sounds like such a huge number and it is, but if you think of it as a weekly number over 52 weeks it's 2.75lb a week, a much more manageable sounding figure.

So I have some mini targets to keep me going. Not all of them are weight related but they are all slimming related.

Targets:
1. Eat breakfast everyday for a month.
2. Eat at least 7 speed foods a day for a month.
3. Lose 7lb
4. Lose 1 stone.
5. Lose 1.5stone.
6. Get bronze body magic.
7. Achieve Club 10. (24stone 3lb)

Last edited:
Welcome back on board hun :) Those are great targets, good luck.

Today I had a second appointment at the hospital, this was with the Orthotics department. I went and she looked at my hernia, examined it, massaged it, and came back with a special support corset for me to wear which will hold the hernia in place and stop gravity from taking it's toll causing me pain. I put the corset on in her room at half 1 and felt amazing straight away. I could walk around without pain. Even managed to go to the supermarket and push the trolley and help my OH pack the bags, normally I walk around and have to lean on the trolley for support then sit down when we get to the tills. Hopefully I will be able to incorporate some walking into my routine, also realised I need to ask what exercises I can't do whilst I have a herni, I'm presuming anything that involves heavy lifting or stomach crunches etc. x

As for my targets I've had breakfast today of Weetabix and milk. Also had my 7 speed foods - apple, melon, satsuma, onion, carrots, swede, baked beans.

Breakfast: 2 weetabix and Whole Milk (HEA and HEB)
Lunch: BM American Fried Chicken (3 syns), melon, apple. (I was at the hospital so was a bit of a grab and go)
Tea: Cow boy pie. - OMG this is bloody lush!
Snacks: WW Greek Style Peach yoghurt, satsuma and an apple.

Total syns: 3

Tomorrow I get my implant put back in so I'm hoping that I can still lose weight as I know some people gain when they have it.

The very best of luck, you sound so determined though! What a great food day too :)

The very best of luck, you sound so determined though! What a great food day too :)

Thank you, I feel a little bit more determined now than I did when I rejoined last Thursday, think I had it in my head that I needed to do it and part of me wanted it but just needed that little kick to make me want it even more!

I've got me, my little boy and a new tummy to do this for :)

My OH just sat and ate some of my Special K Cracker Crisps, 2 creme eggs and a pack of rolo's and I wasn't even the tiniest bit tempted.

Trying to think of something worth the syns to have tomorrow night while I watch OBEM. :)

Thank you, I feel a little bit more determined now than I did when I rejoined last Thursday, think I had it in my head that I needed to do it and part of me wanted it but just needed that little kick to make me want it even more!

I've got me, my little boy and a new tummy to do this for :)

My OH just sat and ate some of my Special K Cracker Crisps, 2 creme eggs and a pack of rolo's and I wasn't even the tiniest bit tempted.

Trying to think of something worth the syns to have tomorrow night while I watch OBEM. :)

Have you got a sweet or savoury tooth? Freddos and air popped popcorn are my saviours! x

Hey,

Firstly, congratulations on your new baby!!! You're doing great joining sw so soon after giving birth so well done. :)

What an incentive you have for losing the weight too. I'd love to get my tummy sorted but like you, I need to lose the weight first. I've got about 8 stones to lose which seems so daunting but I was doing great before christmas came along. I just need to get back on it.

Will be looking forward to seeing how you're getting on. :)

Good luck Pickle! You're doing exactly the right thing setting smaller targets, rather than feeling daunted and demotivated by focusing on the end game. Having had stomach problems after a c-section myself (albeit 12 years ago!) I seem to remember being told to avoid sit-ups, hoovering, pushing a trolley in the supermarket and lifting heavy items. Swimming, pilates, aquaerobics and yoga are all good, along with walking!

Thanks my little boy weighs over a stone already though so I can't quite avoid the heavy lifting lol. (He's not fat though he's 2ft 2in at 12 weeks)

I asked at the doctors today whilst having my implant put back in and the doctor said to avoid anything that needed tummy muscles - so no stomach crunches, weight lifting, stretching etc. She recommended I get out with the pushchair every day and set myself a target of how far to walk and try and get a bit further each time so think I will do that. I've also asked to borrow my nan's wii and will look at doing some of that on an evening or whilst baby naps, nothing too strenuous but stuff such as boxing, stepping etc.

Hey,

Firstly, congratulations on your new baby!!! You're doing great joining sw so soon after giving birth so well done. :)

What an incentive you have for losing the weight too. I'd love to get my tummy sorted but like you, I need to lose the weight first. I've got about 8 stones to lose which seems so daunting but I was doing great before christmas came along. I just need to get back on it.

Will be looking forward to seeing how you're getting on. :)

Good luck hun, you can get that 8 stone off if you stay focussed. The big numbers do seem daunting, it seems impossible but like I said just under 3lb a week weight loss would give me enough loss so if you lost 2lb a week thats 7 stone gone!

Todays food:
B: 2 weetabix and whole milk (HEA and HEB)
L: Leftover Cowboy Pie, 2 plums, 2 satsumas and a yoghurt.
Afternoon snack: Special K Chocolate and Mint cereal bar (4.5syns) - sooo not worth it.
T: Sizzle steaks, 1/2 a packet of pasta n sauce with cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, onions and peppers mixed in.
Evening snack: BM American Fried Chicken (1.5syns) 21 Special K Cracker Crisps (4.5syns)

Total Syns for day: 10.5 syns

Almost forgot about Speed food challenge:
Todays speed foods:
Apple, Satsuma, Onion, Swede, Carrot, Cherry tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, plums - total of 9 for today! woop :)

Last edited:
Good luck hun, you can get that 8 stone off if you stay focussed. The big numbers do seem daunting, it seems impossible but like I said just under 3lb a week weight loss would give me enough loss so if you lost 2lb a week thats 7 stone gone!

Thanks Pickle. You're right. Even the amount I have to lose is achievable. It's just staying focused for the length of time it will take me to lose it. Especially since I'm an emotional eater. I'm determined to do it though.

Your food today looks good. I'm dying to make the cowboy pie myself. Would you recommend it?

Pickles- you go for it, big time girl !! I say this having lost 12 stone myself. You have been given a chance as rare as hens teeth- skin removal on NHS ! Before I lost the weight I thought I'd be fine with the loose skin. Well I'm not. It's far worse than I anticipated, and I feel much worse than I could have guessed and there is no chance I can get reconstructive surgery in my area. To have a TT would be amazing and lift a huge, crippling sadness from me ( not to mention about half a stone !). So grab it. Be motivated by it, and don't hang around. The way things are these days the offer won't be there forever.
Really, really good luck. And congratulations on being a mummy. xxx

Thanks Pickle. You're right. Even the amount I have to lose is achievable. It's just staying focused for the length of time it will take me to lose it. Especially since I'm an emotional eater. I'm determined to do it though.

Your food today looks good. I'm dying to make the cowboy pie myself. Would you recommend it?

Oh my goodness yes it is absolutely beautiful, really lovely. I don't normally eat shepherd pie or cottage pie but this was really really nice. Think it will be a regular meal in our house as OH enjoyed it too.

I'm definitely going to make it then. I have the fussiest family ever though so doubt they'd try it!

Well I went to weigh in and I lost 9lb! So chuffed! Wasn't expecting that much.

OH did try to sabotage me though, he spent the £5 I'd put to one side for SW on himself thinking I wouldn't go but I did. :)

Todays food:
B: 2 Weetabix and Whole milk (HEA and HEB)
L: Pizza made from warburtons thins (5syns), passata, onion, peppers, mushrooms and 30g cheese (6syns)
T: Griddled chinese turkey, 1/2 pack of chinese bachelors rice, sweet peppers and crispy seaweed.

Snacks: Beetroot

Total syns: 11

Todays speed foods: tomato, onion, pepper, mushroom, beetroot, sweet pepper, turkey, sweet peppers

Wow...well done. That's fantastic. You must be so chuffed.

Mmmmm...loving the sound of the pizza too. Must try that myself one day.

Have a good day tomorrow :)

Back