Pickle87 and her NHS challenge, being a mummy and becoming me.

Ok so the last few days I've noticed a few of my facebook friends post status' about calories and diets and how they've only got 160 calories left for the day and they are starving and have 5 hours to go till bedtime and I just want to tell them to join Slimming World but they are adamant they know best and that I can't possibly lose weight on a diet where I can eat pizza and curry!

Today I have had a fairly good day.
B: 2 weetabix and whole milk (HEA and HEB) - I'm sticking to the breakfast thing.
L: Jacket potato, tuna, sweetcorn, 50g philadelphia with grilled peppers (4 syns), peppers, beetroot and roasted kale.
Snack: Nectarine and a ww yoghurt.
Tea: Chicken, spinach and sweet potato curry with wedges and roasted kale.
Snack: Nectarine and a ww layered yoghurt (0.5 syns)

Total syns for day: 4.5 (think I might have 2 pink n whites in bed while me and the OH watch a film so that will take it to 9.5 syns)

You might have noticed I'm eating a lot of Crispy seaweed/roasted kale. Purely because it's so tasty. Basically you buy a bag of shredded curly kale from the supermarket, put it on a baking tray sprinkle salt over and dry roast for a few minutes and it goes like crispy seaweed from the chinese, yummy.

Todays speed foods: nectarine, onion, peppers, tomatoes, kale, beetroot, tuna, chicken, spinach

Last edited:
You are so motivated and doing a fantastic job! Little goals are the best thing you can do ;) youncan get down to that weight you need to be in no time. Well done for loosing 9lb also that's amazing!!! You should be proud and not giving in to your OH temptations is really good too.

You will be the yummy mummy before you know it :)
keep it up and looking forward to reading more of your weight loss journey xxx

Morning Pickle,

I have friends myself that do all manner of weird diets to try to shift the pounds and I'm not a stranger to a few dieting disasters myself!! :rolleyes: But, slimming world is by far the best weight loss plan there is out there imho. I did WW years ago and was constantly starving as i'd used my points. At least with SW there's always something free that you can snack on when the hunger pangs strike :D

Your food from yesterday looks good too! Definitely going to try that with the kale. Great idea :clap:

Have a great weekend :)

Just be warned the stalks can be a bit bitter but the leaves are lush. Had it again tonight lol. I'm gonna look like kale at this rate but its just something savoury to nibble on.

I spend Saturdays at my grandparents so they can see Jakey and my mum comes up too to see him. I'm able to use their kitchen but I always feel like I've eaten loads when I've been there.

Breakfast: 2 weetabix, whole milk (HEA HEB)
Lunch: Leftover chicken, spinach and sweet potato curry with a warbutons thins (5 syns)
Afternoon snack: breakfast muffin (eggs, cottage cheese, bacon, mushrooms, onion, tomatoes and peppers), seafood sticks, ww red fruits greek yoghurt and an apple and satsuma!!
Tea: KFC chicken (made with smash, most people class it as free, i say its a tweak so 4.5syns, worth it though), jacket potato, kale and ratatouille (1.5syns)

Total syns: 11.

I didn't think I'd had much superfree today but looking at my menu I realise I have its just been incorporated within what I've eaten.

Speed foods: tomato, spinach, onion, pepper, mushrooms, kale, chicken, courgette, aubergine, apple, satsuma <- so lots of superfree really

Pickle you are NAILING this! I'm so proud of you. 9 freaking pounds! :superwoman:

I have just added kale to my shopping list. When i worked at the grocers i used to have it steamed all the time but sort of forgot about it. Will definitely be doing this now. Thank you. Keep up the amazing work :)

Well done Pickle 9lbs is great your certainly focused. Your days foods look great ill be popping by to spur you on with your journey along with all the other minis gang. Good luck for your next WI

Today has not been a good day, too many syns not enough superfree foods. :( The day started at 4am when my wee man woke up, he seems to have caught my cold and is feeling very sorry for himself, most of the day has been spent trying to stop him from crying/screaming. Then my OH got home from work and had a go at me so I've had a sod it day :(

Breakfast: 2 ww yoghurts
Lunch: Pasta and sauce with sweet peppers, beetroot and kale.
Snack: box of special k cracker crisps! 20 syns!!!! Jakey was on my knee and I just kept nibbling them.
Tea: gammon, boiled potatoes, singing swede (you microwave a whole swede it sings when its cooked and it tastes lush), gravy (1.5 syns)
Snacks: ww layered yoghurt (0.5 syns) a tangerine and 2 nectarines.

total syns: 22!!!

speed foods: pepper, tangerine, nectarine, beetroot, kale, swede <so I only just missed out on my target of 7.

Looking at it written down it's not as bad as I thought, still not brilliant though. I still have my HEA and HEB to use so going to grab a hifi bar and piece of cheese.

Tomorrow I have HV popping round then I'm going to take Jake to the library to sign him up to book trust for baby and pop in Sainsbugs for some more frozen veg as we've run out. I'm also going to make sure I have a proper breakfast as yoghurt wasn't enough and not use more than 10 syns.

Hey, you didnt do too badly considering you had a bad day. Think of what you might have ate pre sw and it would've probably been a lot more so don't beat yourself up about what you had.

Hope you get a good nights sleep tonight. :)

Today has been a much better day! My boy is still snotty and so has slept lots but hopefully he's just sleeping off his cold. Health visitor came and discussed weaning although its too early yet, checked I was ok and not teary or depressed and has offered to chase up Jakey's hospital referral as he has craniosynostosis and needs an operation. Didn't manage to get to the library though as the snow hit quite bad and our staircase (we live in a maisonette) had iced over and was slippy and I didn't feel safe carrying Jakey and the pushchair down it on my own, when OH got home though he did take me over to Sainsbury's for something for tea.

B: 2 weetabix, milk (HEA and HEB)
L: Jacket potato, beans, red onion, mushrooms in soy sauce, cheese (5 syns)
Snack: ww yoghurt.
Tea: Sausage (2.5 syns), mash, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, gravy (1.5 syns)
Snack: seafood sticks, apple, nectarine, ww yoghurts.

Total syns for day: 9.

Speed foods: cauli, broccoli, carrots, apple, nectarine, onion, mushrooms, beans.

My OH is at football so I'm laid on sofa watching a film and meal planning for next week as we will hopefully be going food shopping tomorrow, weather permitting.

Feeling quite good today apart from my OH putting my hernia support on too tight and me feeling like I was being sliced in half. Had to take it off for a bit in the end to give me a break cos it was too painful. Well we went to Asda today to do a food shop, normally we shop at Morrisons but nip to Tesco's on a Sunday when my OH finishes work. I carefully went round making sure I was making good choices and adding up so I knew how much it came to at the till only to get to the till and my card be declined even though I'd checked my account before we started! How embarrassing! Turns out a free trial of Family Prime on amazon that I cancelled had renewed anyway and taken £49 out of my account, had to ring up and complain to get it refunded, wasn't impressed that's for sure.

Todays food:
B: 2 Weetabix and whole milk (HEB and HEA) - I need to think of something new for breakfasts.
L: Roast butternut squash, pastrami, cottage cheese with red pepper and chilli (1syn)
Snack: Clementine
T: Pizza topped with mushroom, pepper, onion, ham, tomato puree and cheese (made with warburtons thins 10 syns for thins and cheese), chips, mushrooms and beans.
Snack: clementine, nectarine, ww yoghurt.

Total syns: 11

Speed foods: BNS, onion, mushroom, peppers, clementine, beans, nectarine.

The BNS is only 49p each in Aldi at the moment!!!

Turns out a free trial of Family Prime on amazon that I cancelled had renewed anyway and taken £49 out of my account, had to ring up and complain to get it refunded, wasn't impressed that's for sure

Amazon did the same thing to me! Total nightmare especially being a student with hardly any money!!! Thankfully got it back though

I'm on maternity leave so we are on a budget I'd walked around the store adding it all up for Amazon to take the money while we were walking round the store. Luckily I've got enough nappies in for my little boy. x

A good food day and a bad day. Had dentist this morning so didnt have breakfast first, teeth are perfect but I have mouth ulcers and he kept touching them by accident :( ouch!! Was then out most of the day so didn't eat much.

Brunch: bacon sub (aldi wm sub heb +3 syns)
Snacks: apple, tangerine, seafood sticks
Tea: pork loin chop, mash, cheesy broccoli(hea) carrot, baby sweet corn, sugar snap peas and gravy (1.5syns)

Total syns : 4.5

Speed foods: apple, tangerine, broccoli, baby sweetcorn, carrots.

Weigh in tomorro and I'm nervous x

im sure you will be fine. there has been times when i have hardly eaten, just as long as when you do eat you are eating the right things and you will be fine... dont worry about WI you will do brill =] keep your chin up xxx

Hey pickle, how did you get on at weigh in. Sounds like you've had a good week so hopefully it was reflected on the scales for you :)

I lost 1.5lb hun. I know it's a loss so I should be happy but I feel a bit meh about it. I would have liked a bit more. It's made me think though and I think I need to up my superfree for EE to work. I'm eating superfree foods but I don't think I'm having enough for them to constitute a portion itms. IE pizzas with sliced onion, pepper and mushroom on. Sounds fabulous but isn't really a 1/3 of the meal. So tomorrow, fresh start and I'm going to concentrate on making sure I have plenty of superfree and a decent portion of each at that. Might take photo's of my food too so I can prove it's a 1/3 minimum x

It's still a loss but I know what you mean last week i only lost 1/2 and was gutted. I had more super free and cut out any form of choc I'd had like the week before and this week lost 5lb! It strange how the smallest things make a difference. Good luck for this week xxx

Really quick post before I go to bed cos it's too cold in our house, my heating isn't working so I'm off to hope full clothes, socks and 2 duvets will help us be warm.

Todays food:

B: 2 weetabix, whole milk HEA HEB
S: 2 x apples
Lunch: seafood sticks, one piece of pastrami, a tangerine, a clementine, a nectarine, pack of shapers salt and vinegar twirls 3.5 syns
T: Baked to Perfection Salmon, rice, sauce made from tinned tomatoes, a leek, garlic, peppers, onions, spinach.
Snack: JElly 0.5 syns, shapers strawberry and white choc popcorn 4.5 syns.

Total: 8.5 and plenty of superfree foods :)

Speed: onion, peppers, tomato, leek, spinach, apple, tangerine, nectarine, clementine.

A much better day today.

B: Weetabix and whole milk HEA HEB (had sweetener as a treat)
S: Apple
L: Butternut Squash soup (bns, onion, chilli)
S: Satsuma, Shapers Crispy Choc Bar 4.5 syns
T: Baked bean lasagne (with tomato, spinach, onion and peppers in, as well as cheesy beans and some extra cheese on top) 5.5 syns, chicken wrapped in ham.
S: WW Yoghurt, Nectarine.

Oh and my granddad thinking he was being nice bought me something he thought was seafood sticks from Morrisons but they actually had cereal added to them and were 2.5 syns! Lesson learned, check, check and check syns again! Luckily I didn't eat them cos they looked weird lol.

I've now got a portion of bns soup and 2 portions of baked bean lasagne left over :)

glad youve had a better day today... bless ya grandad trying to help you... lol hope your having a nice weekend xxx

Back