Picnic Ideas (savoury) - low in syns pls

Angeladawn

Prob a bit early for a picnic, but off to watch the London Marathon next weekend and like to have little foods to pick on as we are walking around/standing.

Need to be low in syns, as need them for my bottle of Rose.

Receipe's or shop bought items ideas please.

I'm affraid I don't have a recipe but someone at group was talking about syn free scotch eggs.....

also I made the pulled pork in the magazine, and would say it was nice enough to eat cold without a roll : )

I'm affraid I don't have a recipe but someone at group was talking about syn free scotch eggs.....

also I made the pulled pork in the magazine, and would say it was nice enough to eat cold without a roll : )

Oh yes I remember my mum doing the scotch eggs, it was just hard boiled egg, lf sausages & rolled in couscous.

Which issue mag, as just started.

current magazine but there is a recipe on their website -
i think the current mag had a few picnic options (i didn't buy it just took a pic of my friends.)

I was looking for lunch ideas this week and the one week free menu it sugested a plowmans type thing - cold ham rolled with light chese triangles inside, pickled onlions. gerkins and beetroot, and syn free humous and carrot sticks. Crab sticks, cottage cheese and riveta. all easy to pack for picnic too.

current magazine but there is a recipe on their website -
i think the current mag had a few picnic options (i didn't buy it just took a pic of my friends.)

I was looking for lunch ideas this week and the one week free menu it sugested a plowmans type thing - cold ham rolled with light chese triangles inside, pickled onlions. gerkins and beetroot, and syn free humous and carrot sticks. Crab sticks, cottage cheese and riveta. all easy to pack for picnic too.

Is that the Frijolemole dip on the website???? might have to give that ago, love humous.

Hi guys, I've just posted this in another thread but as it's really good for a picnic, I will share here too! It doesn't have a name but it's a bit like a spanish omelette made with cous cous instead of potato:
Take some plain cous cous but make it up with chicken stock rather than water which immediately adds flavour. I add spring onions, diced red pepper, chopped herbs, a HEXa or synned portion of grated parmesan (adds loads of flavour and helps hold it together) then two beaten eggs and a dollop of low fat yogurt - this gives it a creamy quiche flavour/consistency.
I then pour the mix into a little frying pan (sprayed with frylight) and press it down to make a thick spanish omelette-type shape, then lightly fry until the bottom is golden and finish under the grill until the top is golden too. This is so filling and absolutely delicious! It's really good cold as well, and cooked in this way cuts into picnic-friendly wedges. Enjoy! xx

Hi guys, I've just posted this in another thread but as it's really good for a picnic, I will share here too! It doesn't have a name but it's a bit like a spanish omelette made with cous cous instead of potato:
Take some plain cous cous but make it up with chicken stock rather than water which immediately adds flavour. I add spring onions, diced red pepper, chopped herbs, a HEXa or synned portion of grated parmesan (adds loads of flavour and helps hold it together) then two beaten eggs and a dollop of low fat yogurt - this gives it a creamy quiche flavour/consistency.
I then pour the mix into a little frying pan (sprayed with frylight) and press it down to make a thick spanish omelette-type shape, then lightly fry until the bottom is golden and finish under the grill until the top is golden too. This is so filling and absolutely delicious! It's really good cold as well, and cooked in this way cuts into picnic-friendly wedges. Enjoy! xx

thank you for sharing, I will definitely give this a try and it sounds like its totally free too :)

Yep, totally free if using the parmesan as a HEXa! It's 5 syns for 25g if not. You can leave it out if you want the dish to be syn free and you've already had a HEXa but I think it tastes better with. Let me know what you think when you've tried it! :)

Yep, totally free if using the parmesan as a HEXa! It's 5 syns for 25g if not. You can leave it out if you want the dish to be syn free and you've already had a HEXa but I think it tastes better with. Let me know what you think when you've tried it! :)

Really liked it, only used 4g of parmesan as got bored grating it!! I will definitively do again, thanks again :)

Quorn Cocktail Sausages are 1 syn each.. or the Quorn crispy nuggets cook them and have them cold. 0.5syns each xx

The cheese and lentil loaf from the SW site would be good. I had it last week as part of a hot meal and am making it again today. O.H. loved it too. Says on the recipe it tastes just as good cold and cut into slices. x

if you're doing scotch eggs you could use some lean minced chicken or turkey instead of sausage - I've used this before because my son doesn't like sausage meat.Mush the mince up a bit with some seasoning and herbs and it squishes round the egg just the same as sausage meat

Really liked it, only used 4g of parmesan as got bored grating it!! I will definitively do again, thanks again :)
Bit slow off the mark with my reply but really chuffed you liked it! You're the first one the try one of my suggestions! Another tip - if you get bored grating parmesan (I do too!) you can cut a chunk off (weigh it of course!) and whizz it in a food processor - kind of turns into crumbs xx

Back