Pimp my party... anyone got tips & low cal recipes?

Tibbs

Gold Member
Hi, we've got a few parties coming up....Halloween (kids & adults), Anniversary party, Birthday party (Adult)... Anyone got any ideas or what do you normally serve?
I like cooking so would welcome recipes ( especially sweet treat things that kids would enjoy). There doesn't seem to be a lot of variety in party food in the shops.

Last edited:
Last edited:
image.jpeg
Feta & Cucumber Nip
(From eating well magazine)

1/4 cup prepared olive tapenade
24 pita chips or thin slices baguette, toasted
48 very thin slices baby cucumber
3 oz feta cheese, cut into 48 cubes (1/2-inch)
3 thinly sliced lemon rounds, cut into eighths, plus 2 lemon wedges
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

Spread 1/2 teaspoon olive tapenade on each pita chip (or baguette slice). Top with 2 cucumber slices, 2 feta cubes and a lemon sliver. Just before serving, drizzle with oil and a squeeze of lemon.

Serving size: 1 piece
Per serving: 42 calories; 3 g fat(1 g sat); 0 g fiber; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 7 mcg folate; 3 mg cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 18 IU vitamin A; 1 mg vitamin C; 19 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 70 mg sodium; 12 mg potassium

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Goat Cheese & Veggie Morsel
( from eating well magazine)

4 oz goat cheese
24 small whole-wheat crackers
2 tablespoons very finely chopped carrot
2 tablespoons very finely chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon very thinly sliced scallion greens
Freshly ground pepper to taste

Spread 1 teaspoon goat cheese on each cracker.Combine carrot and bell pepper in a small bowl. Press about 1 teaspoon of the vegetable mixture into the cheese on each cracker. Top with a bit of scallion greens and sprinkle with pepper.

Per serving: 33 calories; 2 g fat(1 g sat); 1 g fiber; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 3 mcg folate; 2 mg cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 187 IU vitamin A; 1 mg vitamin C; 9 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 55 mg sodium; 22 mg potassium

image.jpeg Olive & Goat Cheese Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes
(From eating well magazine)
Scooping out the insides to stuff the tomato can be a little tricky without the right tool—a 1/4-teaspoon measuring spoon works very well for the job.

• 24 cherry tomatoes (about 1 pint)
  • 3 ounces goat cheese
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped green olives
  • 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
  • 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more for garnish
  • 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
  1. Slice about 1/4 inch off the top of each tomato. If necessary, trim a sliver off the bottom so the tomato sits flat. Gently scoop out the seeds with a small spoon or the tip of a small knife.
  2. Mash goat cheese, olives, milk and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl until well combined. Fill each hollowed tomato with a generous 1 teaspoon of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with oregano and more pepper, if desired.
  • Make Ahead Tip: Prepare and hold at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
  • Serving size: 1 tomato
  • Per serving: 13 calories; 1 g fat(1 g sat); 0 g fiber; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 3 mcg folate; 2 mg cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 184 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 8 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 24 mg sodium; 43 mg potassium

Ooooh I was just looking for recipes for my halloween party!
Thank you for these!
I'm far too lazy for calorie counting so I'm afraid I can't help much, I have plenty of recipes but no idea if they're high or low cal.
Slimming World has a recipe for toffee apples that could be good for the kids at Halloween though? I'd guess it's around 100 calories per apple, but at least you'd know how much is in it. I'll paste it here for those who don't have access to their website :)

Screenshot_7.png

(image and recipe taken from Slimming World website)

Ingredients
  • 6 level tbsp granulated sugar
  • 6 tbsp artificial sweetener
  • A few drops of red food colouring
  • 8 apples
  • 8 lollipop sticks
Method
  1. Place the sugar, sweetener, and 200ml water in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar and sweetener have dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 6-7 minutes until reduced considerably.
  2. To check the toffee, take 1 tsp of the toffee mixture and drop it into a bowl of cold water – it should form a hard ball. (You must reach this stage for the toffee to set. If it’s not ready, boil for a further 2-3 minutes and then re-test). When ready, add a few drops of red food colouring to the pan and swirl to combine.
  3. Using a sharp knife make a slit in the top of each apple and push the lollipop sticks halfway in.
  4. Arrange the apples, lollipop-sticks up, on a sheet of non-stick parchment. Drizzle over the toffee and allow to set.

image.jpeg
Tomato-Basil Skewers
(From eat well magazine)

• 16 small fresh mozzarella balls
  • 16 fresh basil leaves
  • 16 cherry tomatoes
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, to drizzle
  • salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste.
  1. Thread mozzarella, basil and tomatoes on small skewers. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  • Serving size: 1 skewer
  • Per serving: 46 calories; 3 g fat(2 g sat); 0 g fiber; 1 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 2 mcg folate; 8 mg cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 233 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 78 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 217 mg sodium; 36 mg potassium
  • Tip: use balsamic vinegar in place of EVOO

Ooooh I was just looking for recipes for my halloween party!
Thank you for these!
I'm far too lazy for calorie counting so I'm afraid I can't help much, I have plenty of recipe's but no idea if they're high or low cal.
Slimming World has a recipe for toffee apples that could be good for the kids at Halloween though? I'd guess it's around 100 calories per apple, but at least you'd know how much is in it. I'll paste it here for those who don't have access to their website :)

View attachment 184317
(image and recipe taken from Slimming World website)

Ingredients
  • 6 level tbsp granulated sugar
  • 6 tbsp artificial sweetener
  • A few drops of red food colouring
  • 8 apples
  • 8 lollipop sticks
Method
  1. Place the sugar, sweetener, and 200ml water in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar and sweetener have dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 6-7 minutes until reduced considerably.
  2. To check the toffee, take 1 tsp of the toffee mixture and drop it into a bowl of cold water – it should form a hard ball. (You must reach this stage for the toffee to set. If it’s not ready, boil for a further 2-3 minutes and then re-test). When ready, add a few drops of red food colouring to the pan and swirl to combine.
  3. Using a sharp knife make a slit in the top of each apple and push the lollipop sticks halfway in.
  4. Arrange the apples, lollipop-sticks up, on a sheet of non-stick parchment. Drizzle over the toffee and allow to set.
Ooo Devine, I'll make those!

Ooo Devine, I'll make those!
I'd love it if you could post more of your recipes, low cal or not. If you think they're good just put them on please x

image.jpeg Chocolate-Dipped Apricots

1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
36 dried apricots
2 tablespoons chopped pistachios

Line a baking sheet with parchment or wax paper.Place chocolate chips in a small glass bowl. Microwave on Medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on in 20-second intervals until melted, stirring after each interval.
Dip half of each apricot into the melted chocolate.
Place the dipped fruit on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle pistachios over the chocolate. Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.

Per serving: 21 calories; 1 g fat(0 g sat); 1 g fiber; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 1 g added sugars; 127 IU vitamin A; 0 mg vitamin C; 2 mg calcium; 0 mg iron; 0 mg sodium; 45 mg potassium

I'm intending to make ghost bananas too, but I hear bananas are off limits for a lot of people... I'll post more when I've experimented throughout the week :D

Anyway they look something like this, but I make mine frozen and they are yummy as heck!
Tangerine-Pumpkins-and-Banana-Ghosts-2.jpg
(image found through google search)

. Large ripe bananas, halved
. Fat free natural or vanilla yoghurt
. White chocolate, grated (can replace with coconut if you wish)
. Sweetener to taste
. Chocolate buttons or icing for face (could also use nuts etc)

Mix sweetener into yoghurt if required, dip bananas into yoghurt until coated, roll in chocolate/coconut and stick the faces on (unless you're using icing, then do it after freezing).
Stand the bananas on a plate or tray so that the yoghurt drips down and forms a ghostly "skirt" at the base. Freeze for 3-4 hours.

They work better if you use white chocolate instead of the yoghurt, but it really ups the naughty value.
You could also mix a sachet of white chocolate Options into some quark or 0% fromage frais and use that instead of the yoghurt.

I'm intending to make ghost bananas too, but I hear bananas are off limits for a lot of people... I'll post more when I've experimented throughout the week :D

Anyway they look something like this, but I make mine frozen and they are yummy as heck!
View attachment 184319
(image found through google search)

. Large ripe bananas, halved
. Fat free natural or vanilla yoghurt
. White chocolate, grated (can replace with coconut if you wish)
. Sweetener to taste
. Chocolate buttons or icing for face (could also use nuts etc)

Mix sweetener into yoghurt if required, dip bananas into yoghurt until coated, roll in chocolate/coconut and stick the faces on (unless you're using icing, then do it after freezing).
Stand the bananas on a plate or tray so that the yoghurt drips down and forms a ghostly "skirt" at the base. Freeze for 3-4 hours.

They work better if you use white chocolate instead of the yoghurt, but it really ups the naughty value.
You could also mix a sachet of white chocolate Options into some quark or 0% fromage frais and use that instead of the yoghurt.

They look brilliant! I'll be making those too... The kids will love them :D Thanks for taking the time to post X

image.jpeg
PLOUGHMAN'S ON A STICK
Serves: 4
Cook time: Ready in 10 minutes Ready in: Less than 30 Minutes
sp Perfect for Extra Easy SP
Syns per serving: Free

4 thin slices of lean ham, visible fat removed
4 bottled silverskin pickled onions, drained
1 apple

1. Cut each slice of ham into three long strips and roll up each strip tightly.
2. Thread the rolled-up ham strips on to four skewers or cocktail sticks along with the pickled onions.
3. Add a chunk of apple to any stick you are eating straight away. Keep the rest in the fridge for up to 2 days and add the apple chunks when you are ready to eat.
Tip: Say cheese: You could add your favourite cheese to these ploughman's stick by using a Healthy Extra 'A' choice

image.jpeg
MINI QUICHE MUFFINS
Serves: 12
Prep time: 5-10 mins. Cook time: 25-30 mins
sp Perfect for Extra Easy SP
Syns per serving: Free

300g fat free cottage cheese
4 large eggs
1 small onion, finely diced (you can use red onion for extra colour)
Cherry tomatoes
Mushrooms
Asparagus spears
Low calorie cooking spray
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas 4.
2. Lightly spray 12 muffin cases with low calorie cooking spray or use silicon cases.
3. In a bowl, mix the cottage cheese, eggs, onion and salt & pepper with a fork until all mixed together well.
4. Spoon the mixture into the cases and top with the tomatoes, mushrooms and asparagus. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Tip: These mini quiches work well with all sorts of Free ingredients – I usually go for whatever leftovers I’ve got in the fridge. Ham, bacon, sweetcorn, basil, rocket, peppers – the possibilities are endless!

Rice Salad
Chopped red pepper, courgette, red onions & tomatoes grilled until charred.
Mix with boiled rice & 42g cubed feta cheese.
Sprinkle with lemon juice.

Pasta Coleslaw Salad
Cooked pasta mixed with shredded white & red cabbage, grated carrots, chopped spring onions, sweetcorn, very low fat fromage frais, herbs & seasoning.

RANCH DRY MIX
5tbsp dried minced onion
7tsp parsley flakes
Salt
1tsp garlic powder

Mix together and store in an airtight container.

To use:

RANCH DIP
Mix 2tbsp dry mix with 2 cups quark
Mix up a few hours before serving

RANCH DRESSING
Mix 2tbsp dry mix with 1 cup quark
Mix up a few hours before serving

Herb Tapenade
Serves 5
  • 1/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 clove garlic, smashed and roughly chopped
  • 1/4 tsp chopped thyme
  • 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
  • 4 oz pitted Kalamata olives
  • 5-7 basil leaves
  • 1 tbsp whole capers
  • 1/2 lb baby carrots
  • 1/2 lb celery sticks
MIX In a food processor or blender, puree chickpeas, garlic, thyme and olive oil until smooth. Add lemon juice, if desired. Add olives, basil and capers; pulse to mix gently. Serve with carrots and celery.

Nutrition info 135 calories per serving, 11 g fat (1.5 g saturated), 10 g carbs, 4 g fiber, 2 g protein

Back