Pizza question

Auburn

x x x
Hello,
If I have a supermarket pizza for tea, can I take 6 syns off and take the cheese as a HxA?

Just wondered...

Last edited:
I wouldn't have thought so, it may well be full fat cheese, though i could be totally wrong! x

Unfortunately no you can't. You need to syn the pizza with the 1 syn per 20 calories rule, which is so unfair don't you think? lol. I love pizza, but they average out at around 16 syns per half for a frozen supermarket one : (

Yep, there isnt any part of a pizza base that can be classed as a healthy extra, its not wholemeal, and even if it were, its still unlikely to have enough fibre to be a healthy extra. Plus you can bet that the cheese would be full fat, and there's probably going to be sugars and things in the sauce - just work it on the basis of 20 cals = 1 syn and be prepared to be disappointed!

Much as Slimming World state that "no food is banned" some foods are pretty impossible to get away with and pizza is one of them!

Thanks! Just planning ahead, my mate is having a "pizza party" tomorrow :|
Thought it was worth a go :)

Perhaps make up your own pitta pizzas using one of the qualifying whole wheat HEb pitta,s, put your topping on and then just bring along and you can bake in your friends oven. That way you won't feel left out and will still be on plan.

I'm going to disagree with the others on this and say that yes you can. It doesn't matter if the cheese is full fat it still counts as a HEA - it's not only reduced fat that is a healthy extra.

Circes said:
I'm going to disagree with the others on this and say that yes you can. It doesn't matter if the cheese is full fat it still counts as a HEA - it's not only reduced fat that is a healthy extra.

Yes I agree with circes 28g of full fat cheese is a HEa, although most will have mozzarella in which case it is 42g of cheese so you can probably deduct syns for the cheese, however it will still probably be quite a lot of syns even then as pizza doesn't qualify for any free food allowance, so you wouldn't be able to reduce the syns anywhere else.

It might be worth contacting SW directly to ask if you can reduce the syns by a certain amount if you use a HEa for the cheese as I wouldn't like to say one way or the other. I have a feeling SW may say this isn't allowed.

i can not imagine you would be able to deduct many syns 28g of cheese would probably not be enough to cover 1 piece of shop bought pizza

You are right that there will be a lot more than 28g cheese on the pizza (isn't that why we love them?!). But the syn value for the pizza takes that into account and is part of the reason why they are so high in syns. Any cheese you eat over and above your HE allowance is synned anyway so I don't see a problem. It's like having a chicken curry when on a green day and using a HEB for chicken.

Thank you all for your input. I decided to take the hit on the syns and have the shop-bought pizza but took carrot sticks and salsa too, so instead of a full pizza (which I would have easily scoffed!), had 3 slices with my veg. My day ended up being green rather than EE, and I didn't have all my HXs so either syns or HXs for the cheese, I'm sure I wasn't over too much! and I'm right back on plan today :D

Back