please help

beccaharrison89

Gold Member
Bought a slow cooker today.and never used one before. I not the best at cooking so can anyone give me a simple recipe to fo as my first meal in slow cooker

I was the same! Now I just chuck whatever in the thing and theres dinner! It's fab for slimming world as you can throw every thing together! Love quorn bolongase !

Just put in a chicken, put the lid on and cook it on low for 6-8 hours. Could it be more simple than that?

If you look in the winter warmer section there are loads of slow cooker recipes to have a go at

Hey becca! Here is one that I'm going to try tomorrow (sounds yummy!) This is a recipe that another member (maypole) post a while ago but I saw it last week.

Chicken and barley stew
Ingredients

500g skinless chicken thighs, cubed 1 medium sweet potato, cut into small cubes 1 onion, sliced 3 cloves garlic, crushed 100g pearl barley 2 tsp cumin 125ml chicken or vegetable stock 400g tin chopped tomatoes
Preparation method

1. Brown chicken, garlic and onion in a frying pan, then add to slow cooker pot
2. Add all other ingredients, stir, put on lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-4 hours.
3. Serve with rice, or, add extra barley and just have it as is - so yummy! Be sure to fiddle with the amount of cumin you add to

This is yum & sin free. You might need to add more stock. It freezes well.

Seems simple enough, I can't wait to try it! Hope you like this idea!

Oooo thats sounds lovely thanks britmum

I made the Chicken and Barley Stew for dinner tonight and it was so so so good!! It makes a lot so we have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!! You will definitely need more stock because the barley totally soaks it all up in no time and I only cooked it for 5 (ish) hours on low!! I hope you get to make it as it's very simple and delicious!! :eat:

I made the chicken and barley stew too the other day but forgot it was a slow cooker recipe until I read it half an hour before teatime! So I upped the stock to 300ml and did it in the pressure cooker instead, and it was still delicious, will be trying in the slow cooker in a couple of weeks :)

Pete’s Slow Pot Curry
(Original recipe from Minimins)

Serves 2
0.5 Syn on Ee

Ingredients

1lb Stewing Steak, cubed
1 tin Tomatoes
1 Knorr Beef Stockpot
2 Bay leaves
1 Tsp Chilli Powder
2 Crushed Garlic
2 Tsp Coriander Powder
2 Tsp Cumin Powder
1 Tsp Turmeric
1 Onion
Salt & pepper
1 Tsp Tomato Puree

Method

In a frying pan brown the stewing steak and cook out any remaining fat then put it into the slow-pot, add the other ingredients, put the lid on and set the slow-pot to high and allow it to come to the boil, then turn it to low, give it a stir and replace the lid and leave for at least 3 Hrs.

Serve with Rice & Salad.

Slow-PotCurrySmall.jpg

Back